Noopsyche K2 Pro - Review

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 6 weeks ago I won a giveaway here on R2R, and I feel like I should do a running review on the product.

First of all, this link Crimsons Review will give you all a very detailed review of the product, its unboxing and hookup. I dont feel the need to repeat all of this, as Crimson did a bang up job on all those points and it doesnt seem like anything has changed in the packaging.

Lets start with some basic physical review.
For the unit itself, the instructions are pretty poor at first glance. They are obviously written by someone with English as a second language, and not by someone who writes manuals for Americans for a living. After about 30 minutes of playing with the remote and reading back into the manual, I started realizing that all the information is there, its just not put together in a way that my brain is accustomed to absorbing it. The manual refers to lights and buttons without saying where they are (on the unit or on the remote) and it takes a while to sort it out. There is also the fact that the remote controls other model units, which is only addressed in the manual lightly, and makes you wonder what other settings do. All in all, it does the job, but wont get you started up quick or comfortably.
Manual - C+

Instructions for the mounting bracket - Dont exist. Its not rocket science, and I had no missing parts, but it doesnt seem like too much of an expense to add a single sheet that shows where the parts are used for which type of install.
Bracket Manual - F

The mounting bracket itself is top notch. If I had spent $500 I might expect more, but for this unit its great. Its solid, the parts that are near the water are plastic (as you would want) the structural parts are metal, finish is very nice. You can adjust the mounting heght at least 4 inches, as I was at 9" of height and moved it down to 6 from the waters surface, could go a bit lower if necessary.
A+

The remote- Its not fancy. I have no idea how to replace the battery if I ever need to, and I have yet to see anything about replacing it. I may take it apart to figure that out. Its a simply LCD display, there is no "Back" button, so when you skip past a setting you have to cycle back around to it. Once again, the picky, cosmetic aside, its functional. It does what its supposed to do, and so far it does it well, but its not the fancy remote some might expect.
B-

The unit itself - Boy its small. When you see it at first glance its like "nope, not gonna do it". The finish is nice (mine is black), fit is very good, optics are clear. The mount to the bracket is with screws into the body of the light, its secure and fits tightly. No wobble. The power supply is a standard brick style, with a cord that leads to the unit, lets it hide away with no problem. Not fancy, but at this price point, I don't know that you can reasonably ask for more.
A-

Next post I'll get into some functionality, likes, and dislikes.

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I've only had the unit a day. But, (you say) you won the giveaway 6 weeks ago? Lets just say we had some pandemic issues that delayed the arrival, those issues were resolved by Noopsyche and the unit is here.

Usage notes
The shimmer is absolutely overwhelming. When going from T5 to this its overload. Now if I kill the surface agitation its almost (almost) gone, but LED lighting and surface movement causes crazy shimmer. I think that pretty much holds true with most LED fixtures, but it will take some getting used to.

My unit shut down (Red light flashed on the fixture, unit powered completely off) during testing. First thought was "Crap, I got a dud", but that was not the case. The fixture has a short cord that plugs into the cord coming from the power supply. The two butt together, and SEEM to stop (Keyword SEEM). If you twist them and push harder, they actually go farther together and make a water-tight seal. After I found that in another post (no help from the manual) I pushed them completely together and everything has been fine since. My guess is that I was limiting the power to the unit with the poor connection, and caused it to shut down.

The fan. I guess this is a situational condition that is probably the best one could hope for. When its at a low lighting level, the fan turns on when the unit reaches 158 and off when it gets back down to 113. When its on brighter levels of intensity it just stays on. When its just on full time my brain blocks it out, no issue. When its going on and off every 10 minutes it becomes a distraction, mostly because the tank is 3 feet from me and silent other than that. I really dont know what they could do about it, the fan is pretty quiet to start with, but ANY noise in a silent room becomes noticeable. I dont think they could change a thing to make that situation different in a good way.

Remote controlability. You connect the two to each other wirelessly (no internet required) and from then on the remote controls the unit. It really is that simple.

Adjustability. A+. First of all I have had no issues setting or seeing the effect of my changes, they are visible in real time as you make them. There are 7 "programs", which are really just different periods during the day. There are factory defaults for these which are easily changed. I THINK if you are changing the CURRENT time period you have to go full circle to the next day to see your changes take effect via the timer, at least that how it seems to work.

So you set it to come on at say, 6 am. You set each of the 5 channels 0-100% for that timeframe. As the day progresses it just changes when the schedule says and to what the schedule says. Seems to work flawlessly.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like these might be the lights I’ve been looking for. I hope to have a truly mixed reef with softies on the bottom, lps low to mid, and some sps up top (stylo, poci, pavona, maybe acros a long way down the road). Do either of you think the noopsyche would be appropriate? If so, how many do you think would be required for a 4ft 120g. I’m guessing 4 or 5?

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like these might be the lights I’ve been looking for. I hope to have a truly mixed reef with softies on the bottom, lps low to mid, and some sps up top (stylo, poci, pavona, maybe acros a long way down the road). Do either of you think the noopsyche would be appropriate? If so, how many do you think would be required for a 4ft 120g. I’m guessing 4 or 5?
I think 3 would do it. Looking at my tank (24" side to side, 15" front to back, 19" deep) I think you can expect one to cover 20" of width with overlap. You could do 5, if you wanted the extra boost, and the fixture will pivot 90 degrees on the mount so they will spread out more for a tank with more front to back space. The nice thing is one remote will control them all at the same time.

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no surface agitation
noop_flat.jpg

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the light has been running for about 10 hours today. Corals dont seem to be hiding one bit, extending fully as normal, even with the noop running at 100% across the board since 10 am. The fish seem a bit out of sorts over it, hiding a bit more and further in than normal.

No problems with the light so far, its been clicking along through its cycles and changing programming as defined in the configuration.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3 would do it. Looking at my tank (24" side to side, 15" front to back, 19" deep) I think you can expect one to cover 20" of width with overlap. You could do 5, if you wanted the extra boost, and the fixture will pivot 90 degrees on the mount so they will spread out more for a tank with more front to back space. The nice thing is one remote will control them all at the same time.

Well heck, then I’ll start with three and add a 4th if needed. I believe my tank is 24” deep but I can’t imagine a difference of 5 inches will make that much of a difference. One last question, if I may? Does it appear that the mounting arm could be set up on a eurobraced tank?

In any case, I’m going to go ahead and get 3. Thanks again!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of pictures over in the Noopsyche Forum, take a look there for examples of tanks running multiple fixtures.

Looks like the mounting bracket would only go over a lip up to 1.25" from the factory.

Yeah I just saw a few pictures and it does look like three will do the trick. That and the website says the coverage is between 18x18 and 24x24 depending on settings.

As far as the mounting goes, I suspected as much. Oh well, if a light in this price range can handle what I need I’m not going to complain about having to figure out how to mount or hang it on my own lol

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the bracket. The front plastic piece comes with 4 screws that connect it to the metal rear bracket (from the rear) . You could fabricate a piece that would go over your eurobrace and screw to the rear metal bracket.

bracket.jpg

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the bracket. The front plastic piece comes with 4 screws that connect it to the metal rear bracket (from the rear) . You could fabricate a piece that would go over your eurobrace and screw to the rear metal bracket.

bracket.jpg

Thanks to your picture I see exactly what you mean! That shouldn’t be to difficult to figure out. Thank you.

now the only question I have is do I want the black on black or the white?;Pompus

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noops have shimmer because they are designed for shimmer. If you don't want shimmer, don't get a Noop :). It's not a function of LEDs....it's a function of having small light sources. My black boxes don't have much shimmer because they have very wide light surfaces with lots of low power LEDs.

Could you do me a favor. Previous Noops I've used have had terrible color balances and stupid ratios of LEDs. Could you turn up all color channels in the K2 to max for a minute and describe the color. Is it still a bland white green, or is it at full channel max an acceptable blue color you would want on a reef tank, albeit bright.

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a black box as well, and it has the same shimmer that the Noop has. Either one, when you shut down the water agitation at the surface it goes away. I cant explain the science of it, but I know the T5 doesn't do it at all, VHO didnt do it back in the day, MH did it in a different way.

The two pics above are with all channels at 98 or higher. I really dont see any green tint, with all the channels up its very white, takes the removal of some white to get any blue.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shimmer comes from being a point light source. You do not get shimmer from T5/VHO because its one continuous soft light. The shimmer from LEDS is a bit more than MH back in the day because we usually have many of them above the tank vs MH bulb could be anywhere from only 1-3 depending on the tank size so the shimmer was much less and more like the sun.
I had Noopsyche 2years ago on my old 40B and they did great. I just recently added them to my tank again after selling off my 2 XR15 G4 lights and put 3 K7II on it. I think they give much nicer shimmer than the radions. The remote leaves a lot to be desired but it gets the job done

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ANYWAYS..to get back to the review part....

I just figured out last night how to properly update and set the programs, which is alluded to in the manual but poorly defined. Now it is working exactly as expected.

I am getting used to the shimmer, I'm not quite there but not offended by it anymore.

The light spread is much better than I anticipated, probably due to the lenses covering the LEDs. There is more shadowing than with T5 (as expected) but not as much as I expected and not as much as my other LED fixture (black box). The spread also benefits from the nice adjustments available on the mounting bracket. You can go up and down over 4", and in and out several as well. Seems very well thought out and flexible for different tanks.

Mounting with eurobracing doesnt seem possible with what is supplied, unless someone understands what was supplied better than I do.

I have to say, for the price point its at, combined with the appearance, functionality, ease of use, I believe I would recommend this to anyone looking for an LED fixture who doesnt have the hundreds to spare for one of the high end lights. Its definitely better than my black box, and after playing with it for 2 days, the remote is kinda cool.

I'm going to keep an eye on coral health (and growth) now, as that matters more than anything. I'd be glad to entertain questions or supply pictures if anyone has any.

OP
OP
Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shimmer comes from being a point light source. You do not get shimmer from T5/VHO because its one continuous soft light. The shimmer from LEDS is a bit more than MH back in the day because we usually have many of them above the tank vs MH bulb could be anywhere from only 1-3 depending on the tank size so the shimmer was much less and more like the sun.
I had Noopsyche 2years ago on my old 40B and they did great. I just recently added them to my tank again after selling off my 2 XR15 G4 lights and put 3 K7II on it. I think they give much nicer shimmer than the radions. The remote leaves a lot to be desired but it gets the job done
I figured it was something like that. Seems like the light coming from a single point would refract with the change in angle at the waters surface greater than a light being broadcast over a wider area, but that was a supposition on my part backed by no real evidence. Thanks for clarifying.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the original individuals who were charged with reviewing these lights, I just purchased 3 black on black units and could not be more excited!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a m looking into buy 2 noops. From the youtubes I have seen they look real nice, just as good as hydra kessil ect.. Am I wrong to think that? The disco/shimmer is a bit annoying and I am going to have to figure out a way to diffuse that I believe! I am also concerned about reliability and how long they will last. I was planning on new radions until my tank crashed and now I have to replace a **** ton of coral so have to go the cheap route. One thing I can say about Radion, kessil ect is they sure do keep their retail value! I mean gen 4 radions are almost as much as gen 5! If anyone want to send pics of noops. I wold appreciate it

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back