Noopsyche K7 mini 60w wifi

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the light, is it normal for the light to come on a hour early before the actual schedule time?

Ie. I have my lights to come on at 9a.m., but at 8a.m. the lights come on in a dim mode.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can help - at least share my experience as I got mine a few days ago. It took me about 15 minutes or so to understand what is needed to be done, but after that I figured the iffy instructions out. Here's what I did:

1. Ensure phone is connected to home WiFi using the 2.4Ghz band
2. Plug in the light, and press R button and don't let go until you see it BLUE. It'll cycle to flashing red then eventually flash to blue - once you see that then you can let go. It is now in LAN mode. The instructions says to let go of the R button when the red stops flashing....I didn't let go until I saw blue instead.
3. Proceed to step 2 and 3 of the instructions.

I did the above after trying to follow the instructions on the sheet of paper, but eventually figured out the 3 steps I noted down worked like a charm.

I initially set it up with AP mode, but that wasn't ideal for me as then I'd have to keep on switching off my WiFi on the phone to connect to the light directly.

Hope this helps? Not sure what challenges you're experiencing, but feel free to reach back out. I think the key is ensuring the light is in LAN mode - the instructions aren't good in communicating how to do that.

The problem for some people, such as myself, is we can't connect to just the 2.4ghz band. I have an Orbi system and the name you give your wifi is used for both bands. I think this is true for many mesh systems. You also can't turn off a band. I finally had to connect an older router to my orbi that I could name each band separately and I was able to then connect. Of course any time I want to connect to the light I have to make sure I change the wifi on my phone. Not a big deal since once I got my coral adjusted to the lights there hasn't been a need to change them.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the light, is it normal for the light to come on a hour early before the actual schedule time?

Ie. I have my lights to come on at 9a.m., but at 8a.m. the lights come on in a dim mode.

The time is shown on the screen with the lighting graph. Make sure that is correct.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I would have to set up 2 different wifi connections for 2 of the k7 mini's and then program them separately? I contacted customer service and from my understanding there's no master/slave light, so I'm not even sure how I would go about running 2 of them? And I don't want to buy 2 of the K7 Pros.

I would think you could. You may have to do it in AP mode and not wifi. If you put both in AP mode and go to wifi connections on your phone, I would think you would see 2 different lights to connect to. This is just my guess, I don't have 2 different lights to actually test.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time is shown on the screen with the lighting graph. Make sure that is correct.
Checked, the time is indeed correct. Not sure if this is therefore normal for lights to come on 1 hour early..maybe it's a built in sunrise option?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine does. Time set on at 13:00, starts ramping on at 11am. Mine also doesn't stay connected to the light for anything, it's built in ap wireless is bottom of the dumpster quality, imho

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem for some people, such as myself, is we can't connect to just the 2.4ghz band. I have an Orbi system and the name you give your wifi is used for both bands. I think this is true for many mesh systems. You also can't turn off a band. I finally had to connect an older router to my orbi that I could name each band separately and I was able to then connect. Of course any time I want to connect to the light I have to make sure I change the wifi on my phone. Not a big deal since once I got my coral adjusted to the lights there hasn't been a need to change them.
I also use a netgear Orbi mesh system and I have the same issue. On most things that need hooked up to a 2.4ghz I would just move my phone and the device as far away from a satellite as I could so the signal would be weak enough to connect to 2.4ghz band, but on this light I eventually gave up.
Also for the Orbi you can supposedly login through a browser (not the app) and disable the 5ghz band. I’ve never actually tried to do it to confirm that it works though.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have 8am set to 0% and 9am set to >0%? Or is 9am 0% and 10am >0%? Of the former, then yes the light will start slowly ramping at 8am. If the latter.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have 8am set to 0% and 9am set to >0%? Or is 9am 0% and 10am >0%? Of the former, then yes the light will start slowly ramping at 8am. If the latter.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for confirming! 8a.m. is set to 0% for all 3 LEDs, then at 9:00am it's 10-15-15, then 10 am is 10-25-25% - I was using 9a.m. as my sunrise, so given that it does it automatically, then I'll probably take out the 9a.m.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does. Time set on at 13:00, starts ramping on at 11am. Mine also doesn't stay connected to the light for anything, it's built in ap wireless is bottom of the dumpster quality, imho
That's a 2 hour ramp up window....so you have 0% settings at all times until 13:00? I only have a 1 hour ramp up

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. On the router can you restrict by device address which devices can connect to which band?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a netgear Orbi mesh system and I have the same issue. On most things that need hooked up to a 2.4ghz I would just move my phone and the device as far away from a satellite as I could so the signal would be weak enough to connect to 2.4ghz band, but on this light I eventually gave up.
Also for the Orbi you can supposedly login through a browser (not the app) and disable the 5ghz band. I’ve never actually tried to do it to confirm that it works though.

Maybe you can disable it on one of the newer models. I believe mine is 3 or 4 behind the current model. I refuse to pay $1500 for a mesh system. I haven't checked the options going thru the browser in 5 or 6 months but the last time I did I didn't have an option to turn off the 5ghz band. You did have the option to lower the antenna power but not all the way off. Since my main router is right next to my tank I couldn't move it. I did do what you did to get my Reqtec smoker to hook up to the orbi. I just find is strange that I have a lot of things that connect only thru 2.4ghz and I've only had 2 that wouldn't work. I guess it has something to do with the controller or whatever you would call it that they use for the wifi.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say the K7 mini is one strong light - using a PAR meter it delivers more than I need. The one thing I find a bit annoying - and not fault of the light is the amount of light spray it is exhibiting on walls/floors and of course the eyes - when sitting down, I can see the LEDs from the corner of the my eye - very distracting.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried adjusting my light schedule and the light wouldn't connect to the 2.4ghz wifi that I had it set up with previously. Kept saying "hardware disconnected from network.." or something like that.

Anyway, couldn't get that figured out but learned how to switch to AP mode, which I like better.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say the K7 mini is one strong light - using a PAR meter it delivers more than I need. The one thing I find a bit annoying - and not fault of the light is the amount of light spray it is exhibiting on walls/floors and of course the eyes - when sitting down, I can see the LEDs from the corner of the my eye - very distracting.
Check into a shade made by my buddy @Projects with Sam does phenomenal work...

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So minus the wifi whats everyone think about the light? I was pretty shocked at the intensity with how small the light was and does offer a relatively good spread. There are some networks that wont be compatible due to the way the mesh network is set up. With mine it is easy to create a seperate ssid and password for both channels so you can specifically seclude one or the other. A lot of networks are going more towards a mesh that you can not individualize and i think once things change a new method of connection will become available. As for lights and availability there is now a us representative that is carrying these lights so shipping should be a little better in the future and maybe not as long.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really impressed with the light for the size. I am one of the people who couldn’t get it to work with Wi-Fi but that isn’t a big deal to me.

Has anyone else felt the transformer that plugs into the wall? Mine gets pretty warm, it’s not to where I am afraid it is a fire hazard. I would like to know if they all get warm, so I can rule out there being a problem with mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really impressed with the light for the size. I am one of the people who couldn’t get it to work with Wi-Fi but that isn’t a big deal to me.

Has anyone else felt the transformer that plus into the wall? Mine gets pretty warm, it’s not to where I am afraid it is a fire hazard. I would like to know if they all get warm, so I can rule out there being a problem with mine.
Mine has shown warmth since ive purchased I wasnt concerned about it to the point of it being am issue but i would say one of the hotter ones for sure. I know that is an issue with its bigger brother (140w) as well but i do check it often to make sure it is not increasing in temp.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has shown warmth since ive purchased I wasnt concerned about it to the point of it being am issue but i would say one of the hotter ones for sure. I know that is an issue with its bigger brother (140w) as well but i do check it often to make sure it is not increasing in temp.
Thanks for the reply. I have 6 of the 140w and I knew they get warm but I expected they would because of the cooling fins built into them (at least on my non Wi-Fi model). I was just a little surprised when I felt the one for the mini.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back