Normal TDS & When To Change RO Filters

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only just got a TDS meter after making about 150-200 Gallons of RO Water with the “Aquatic Life RO Buddie Three Stage Reverse Osmosis, 100-Gallon”.

My tap water is reading 70ppm on the TDS and my RO is reading 4ppm. I know 0 is ideal, but does 4 mean I’ve burnt through the filters already? How do I know when to change them? I was expecting every 6 months but now I don’t know?

It is worth noting that I was reading from my BRUTE reservoir (never put salt in it) if that matters.

My TDS Meter is:

HM DIGITAL TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter Tester​

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So incoming tap is 70 TDS.
it's 4 TDS after your RO membrane?
or 4 TDS after your DI stage?

What reading is coming from the brute reservoir?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only just got a TDS meter after making about 150-200 Gallons of RO Water with the “Aquatic Life RO Buddie Three Stage Reverse Osmosis, 100-Gallon”.

My tap water is reading 70ppm on the TDS and my RO is reading 4ppm. I know 0 is ideal, but does 4 mean I’ve burnt through the filters already? How do I know when to change them? I was expecting every 6 months but now I don’t know?

It is worth noting that I was reading from my BRUTE reservoir (never put salt in it) if that matters.

My TDS Meter is:

HM DIGITAL TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter Tester​

yes it matters. check it right out of unit into clean r/o rinsed glass container

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good measurement, from a clean container, not from the reservoir to rule out any potential issues there...

An RO membrane typically only removes 98% of TDS. a DI stage is needed to remove the last few TDS.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. If your tap tds is 70 I would add one. They take out a lot of harmful crap

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good measurement, from a clean container, not from the reservoir to rule out any potential issues there...

An RO membrane typically only removes 98% of TDS. a DI stage is needed to remove the last few TDS.
Just checked from a clean container and still getting 4ppm. Could I have just burnt through the membrane that fast since I was using it to setup a new 55 Gallon and a 20 Gallon QT? Is 4ppm that bad to be using?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just checked from a clean container and still getting 4ppm. Could I have just burnt through the membrane that fast since I was using it to setup a new 55 Gallon and a 20 Gallon QT? Is 4ppm that bad to be using?
i dought it. i put over 200 gal so far threw mine and just had to change one stage of di, i have 3.
and yes you can add on.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Stage does not have DI. Add a DI stage to bring the 4 down to zero
Great lol Can I just add one to my current system or I need a whole new system? And how often do DIs need to be changed?
@KStatefan is correct there is no DI stage. You can add a DI stage RO buddy sells the DI separately or you can buy it from another company and add it to the system. Just add it from the output of the ro membrane (RO water) to the DI resin. If you do buy the RO Buddy di stage I will warn you that I have used an auto-shutoff and the pressure cracked the top it two times. Both times the DI canister was new. It didnt cause a serious leak only when the float valve would shut. From your result I would guess that your water pressure isnt as high as mine (Mine is 65 psi) because you are getting 4tds from the RO filter from 70 tds tap.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has their single stage DI upgrade kits on sale for like $35 right now.
That's a pretty good deal. you get the full size 10" filter housing, mounting bracket, a prefilled DI resin cartridge and some RO tubing. everything you need to add a industry standard 10" DI stage to your setup.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely shouldn’t have burned through filters that quick. My TDS is about 50 with an output of 0. I’ve had my unit for a year without changing filters and I make maybe 200-250 gallons in a year

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude just add a DI thing to your setup it's easy and will fix it
they are color change beads

you can add "any" di thingy to your setup whether it has removable media or not. Just get that water flowing through DI pellets

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used DI before. Typically my water after RO is around 10-15 ppm (starting from over 1000). I suppose it all depends on what that 4ppm is, but I just don't see the value.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont complicate..... ;)

Ro membrane rejection rate is 94-98%, so its almost impossible to have 0 tds without di resin....

As for changing sediment/carbon filters, some say 3 months, some say 6, for me, once a year is good enough, no matter what condition is on prefilters, di will always (ok, almost always) get that to 0.....

Downside is quicker burning trough resin, aka more often u need to change it.

Either live with 4 tds, which is acceptable for some, or buy di cartridge and u will have 0 tds...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back