• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states I'm finding myself dissatisfied with my Trigger Triton44 V1 sump. The reason mostly being the inability to manage detritus very well. There's no means for mechanical filtration really and my sump is growing more GHA than anything else. Which, isn't all bad, but it also is a big detritus catcher.

Current setup is the Triton sump (not running Triton method) and Lifereef skimmer on a 150g, soon to add a 60g into the same sump.

So, I'm considering a new sump or other options but there's so many ways to skin this particular cat that I don't know which way to go. I don't necessarily care to change filter socks, but..maybe a necessary evil?

Feel free to chime in with your ideas or why you like your filtration setup, pros/cons etc.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current swampy state of things.

e4ad31271fdd1db21c40d7d7fc40e897.jpg

cd596c922ea5f0c526d423634ff27bee.jpg

2217a3a5b5bba82b07901a04986a187f.jpg

a694ad1bc20faa3d9339460cb0dee58b.jpg

KSReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way I have found is just siphon it out of the bottom of my sump every few months. I suppose you could also turn off the return pump and put a powerhead in the sump with a filter on it to stir up the debris and trap it that way too.

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a constant on light down there? Have you thought about putting a power head inside?

To me it just looks like it all needs a good cleaning.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not light on 24/7 in there. The fuge light cycles with my tank lights. There is a powerhead in the fuge also, believe it or not. lol The struggle there is keeping it unclogged with algae. Mostly the powerhead was there to move the chaeto mass, but that's become cumbersome enough the powerhead doesn't serve much purpose.

I do siphon detritus roughly once per month, or every other water change or so. I can't really complain that much I guess. I don't have major issues in my display, some algae, but who doesn't have that? I just feel like the detritus could contribute to more nutrients than I'd like, and it lends to the display not being as clear as I might like.

V2 of this same sump implements filter socks. It would be nice to have that option at least on occasion to help keep that detritus in check. I slowed my return pump down a little while back to maybe help some of that stay settled in the sump vs cycling throughout the system but I can't say it's made a major impact.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, I think I grow coralline better in the sump than in the display! :D

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always built a stand inside to hold a sock(s). A lot cheaper than buying a whole sump just for that.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always built a stand inside to hold a sock(s). A lot cheaper than buying a whole sump just for that.
Could be a possibility. I imagine this was a common complaint which is why Trigger came out with a V2 that added socks.

I see so many sumps that are just pristine looking, that's certainly not mine! I'm not aiming for pristine necessarily, just a better way to manage the detritus I think.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a possibility. I imagine this was a common complaint which is why Trigger came out with a V2 that added socks.

I see so many sumps that are just pristine looking, that's certainly not mine! I'm not aiming for pristine necessarily, just a better way to manage the detritus I think.
I don’t run socks on my trigger. Kills the pod population. You want your sump to look gross, people with pristinely clean sumps usually have algae issues in the display.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run socks on my trigger. Kills the pod population. You want your sump to look gross, people with pristinely clean sumps usually have algae issues in the display.
That's exactly one of the reasons I went this route originally, was for the pod population. I like leopard wrasses and such that eat pods. Even if they get on frozen, which they almost always do, it's nice to have those pods as well.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly one of the reasons I went this route originally, was for the pod population. I like leopard wrasses and such that eat pods. Even if they get on frozen, which they almost always do, it's nice to have those pods as well.
Nicee. Yea I have a potters leopard and a mandarin in my 90. They love pods lol. I’d leave it as is, but that’s just me :) lol. The weird floating algae i would remove. I get that stuff too.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee. Yea I have a potters leopard and a mandarin in my 90. They love pods lol. I’d leave it as is, but that’s just me :) lol. The weird floating algae i would remove. I get that stuff too.
I do plan to do some maintenance this weekend, see if I can tame the forest a little bit and find my chaeto in amongst it all.

I lost my Potter's wrasse not too long ago to what I suspect was a bad case of gill flukes. One of my top favorites of the leopards too. Current pod eater in the tank is a Yellowtail Tamarin, so I better keep some pods!

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the trigger triton 34 v1. hate it with a passion, a month after buying it the v2 comes out, thanks trigger.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because I have the smaller version that I haven't setup yet. How much turn over do you have in your sump because I know the triton method requires 10x and I wonder if that would help?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a healthy sump to me.. My 150 gallon sump has a long top moving current empty bottom just to catch detritus. I Vacuum it every month or so and run very little mechanical filtration.. You either deal with the detritus by vacuum or use some type of filter socks or materials .i do not think the sump is to blame for this..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back