Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you know what you want, contact lifereef. He makes great sumps. I purchased one I designed and was extremely happy with his work. I’ve since upgraded my tank and sold the filter. Highly recommend Lifereef

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150g 5'x2'x2'

Why do you hate yours? Same reasons as I've mentioned or something different?

I feel the design of it is very poor, the media basket tray thing is backwards and useless, the fact that can’t use any socks is poor design. And the random wall dividing the drain pipes from the refug. Just seems to be a trap for snails / hermits

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because I have the smaller version that I haven't setup yet. How much turn over do you have in your sump because I know the triton method requires 10x and I wonder if that would help?
I don't know what my turnover rate is, but it's not very high. I'm not actually running the Triton method. I bought the sump for the large fuge area. I guess I just didn't imagine it would end up so dirty. Algae growth is fine, except it gets in everything. But, I was still imaging nice clear water overall. I haven't seen that yet.

looks like a healthy sump to me.. My 150 gallon sump has a long top moving current empty bottom just to catch detritus. I Vacuum it every month or so and run very little mechanical filtration.. You either deal with the detritus by vacuum or use some type of filter socks or materials .i do not think the sump is to blame for this..
Does your detritus settle mostly to the bottom of your refugium or whatever you've got? You see a lot of people with refugiums with chaeto that looks pristine and clean. Mine is a heap of gunk. Maybe they're running socks with their fuge to keep that detritus out of there.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the design of it is very poor, the media basket tray thing is backwards and useless, the fact that can’t use any socks is poor design. And the random wall dividing the drain pipes from the refug. Just seems to be a trap for snails / hermits
Ahh, another who feels my pain! The media tray I don't even use, I took the trays out of it because they didn't serve any purpose, nor hold down that little strip of sponge they give you.

I have actually considered taking something and just cutting that dividing wall out. That's really all that has changed in the V2 of the sump. I don't have the snail/hermit issue because my overflow has a cover, but I can see how it could be an issue. What if a fish went down there? No way you'd ever get it out in that tight space...

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what my turnover rate is, but it's not very high. I'm not actually running the Triton method. I bought the sump for the large fuge area. I guess I just didn't imagine it would end up so dirty. Algae growth is fine, except it gets in everything. But, I was still imaging nice clear water overall. I haven't seen that yet.

Does your detritus settle mostly to the bottom of your refugium or whatever you've got? You see a lot of people with refugiums with chaeto that looks pristine and clean. Mine is a heap of gunk. Maybe they're running socks with their fuge to keep that detritus out of there.
Yes .. it settles in a area i created just for that..

here is the sump So you can see the large settling area. The image taken not long after install buy my older smaller 70 gal sump was laid out the exact same way.
https://www.reef2reef.com/attachments/new-sump-running-first-time-5-jpg.885491/

its on my build thread post #69 .. the old sump is around page 2-3 i think...

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, another who feels my pain! The media tray I don't even use, I took the trays out of it because they didn't serve any purpose, nor hold down that little strip of sponge they give you.

I have actually considered taking something and just cutting that dividing wall out. That's really all that has changed in the V2 of the sump. I don't have the snail/hermit issue because my overflow has a cover, but I can see how it could be an issue. What if a fish went down there? No way you'd ever get it out in that tight space...

It’s a hermit trap for me. I have cuc in the fuge section and they wonder into the wall section and can’t get out.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hermit trap for me. I have cuc in the fuge section and they wonder into the wall section and can’t get out.
Oh yeah that makes sense. I don't have any cuc in the fuge. I should ban my hermits to the sump but..maybe not if they're going to end up all over the place.

Nano1908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have tried to swap my 39 trigger emerald for your Triton if you were closer.

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ead
As the title states I'm finding myself dissatisfied with my Trigger Triton44 V1 sump. The reason mostly being the inability to manage detritus very well. There's no means for mechanical filtration really and my sump is growing more GHA than anything else. Which, isn't all bad, but it also is a big detritus catcher.

Current setup is the Triton sump (not running Triton method) and Lifereef skimmer on a 150g, soon to add a 60g into the same sump.

So, I'm considering a new sump or other options but there's so many ways to skin this particular cat that I don't know which way to go. I don't necessarily care to change filter socks, but..maybe a necessary evil?

Feel free to chime in with your ideas or why you like your filtration setup, pros/cons etc.
Easiest fix is to install filter socks.
It might not be the neatest installation, but you could use the drawstring type socks around each down pipe and support them across the width of the tank with a 1" piece of PVC.
Alternatively you could install aftermarket filter sock holder on each down pipe

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you simply get some 4” filter socks with tie strings and slip them up over the drains? What does the Trigger Triton44 have to do with your issue though? Why not “not happy running sockless”?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ead

Easiest fix is to install filter socks.
It might not be the neatest installation, but you could use the drawstring type socks around each down pipe and support them across the width of the tank with a 1" piece of PVC.
Alternatively you could install aftermarket filter sock holder on each down pipe

Why don’t you simply get some 4” filter socks with tie strings and slip them up over the drains? What does the Trigger Triton44 have to do with your issue though? Why not “not happy running sockless”?

It would be pretty difficult to install filter socks on the drains. There is about a 2-3" wide slot from the drain area to the refugium. The rest of the drain area is inaccessible, I really don't see a way to implement them. Which is why Trigger came out with the V2, which leaves that area open to the fuge and adds filter socks.

I am unhappy with it because there is no way to implement socks even if you wanted to. Thus, I am unhappy with this version of this particular sump for the fact that socks can't be implemented. I'd say my thread title is accurate.

Felipe Ramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump and same complains... What if we just cut that acrylic and install the filter socks? Im afraid it brake the whole thing but who knows

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back