(Not so) long distance ATO inplementation

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my situation is terribly complicated, but I'm new so you have to explain things to me like I am 5. I am putting [my first] tank in the basement. I wanted to put an ATO under my stand, but the size wont be very beneficial. So I have a new idea. I have an adjoining unfinished hall on the other side of the wall. It's about a 12 foot run.

My one concern is that the tubing is going across electronics, but the tubing itself shouldn't leak and I should be able to mount the wires and surge protector.

So my question is what is the best way to do this? And what equipment is recommended?

In the pictures, the tank is going where the "kitchen" is. The second picture is the space on the other side.

EDIT: the tank will be a 40 breeder

0408201127.jpg

Pic 1
0411200948.jpg

Pic 2

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, you have a great set up. Put all the equipment in the empty space. Put some nice neat clean holes in the wall to feed tubing and piping through.

Typically, that empty space behind the wall is referred to as a fish room.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to use a peristaltic pump. A good dosing pump will be able to push water that distance. Don't get a chap pump as their pump heads will wear out fast pushing water that distance. A ghl doser with a long cable for the switch is needed. The cable for the switch is ps/2 keyboard cable.https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/keyboard-mice-cable/din-6-keyboard-cables/product-10m2-01210.php
I have used this system for many years as my aquarium is in my living room with everything out in the garage. Tried a Tunze ATO but the pump didn't last long pushing that much head pressure.

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, you have a great set up. Put all the equipment in the empty space. Put some nice neat clean holes in the wall to feed tubing and piping through.

Typically, that empty space behind the wall is referred to as a fish room.

Are you suggesting to put the sump there as well? My concern is that the "finsished" part of the basement gets as cold as 59-60 in the winter. I have to imagine the other part gets a bit colder. Also, its a 4 foot wide space. Is that too tight?

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to use a peristaltic pump. A good dosing pump will be able to push water that distance. Don't get a chap pump as their pump heads will wear out fast pushing water that distance. A ghl doser with a long cable for the switch is needed. The cable for the switch is ps/2 keyboard cable.https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/keyboard-mice-cable/din-6-keyboard-cables/product-10m2-01210.php
I have used this system for many years as my aquarium is in my living room with everything out in the garage. Tried a Tunze ATO but the pump didn't last long pushing that much head pressure.

With the Tunze, were you trying to go up vertically? This will be horizontal, maybe even a downward slope. I was looking at the tunze thinking it would work. I'll investigate what you sent me, thanks

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Tunze, were you trying to go up vertically? This will be horizontal, maybe even a downward slope. I was looking at the tunze thinking it would work. I'll investigate what you sent me, thanks
Do you use the maxi? Maybe the 2.1 would be ok because its not a big tank, but Id be worried to wear out the pump. What's nice is I can also add a slave unit in the future for AWC

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting to put the sump there as well? My concern is that the "finsished" part of the basement gets as cold as 59-60 in the winter. I have to imagine the other part gets a bit colder. Also, its a 4 foot wide space. Is that too tight?
So I did some thinking... I put a thermometer in the "fish room". It was actually warmer. Right when I thought I had everything figured out! I am probably going to start a new thread about this.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going horiznal I have a two car garage so everything is out there. Tank didn’t have a sump. But the run was 20 feet. The pump on a Tunze is a weak spot. On tanks I use it with I always keep a spare pump.
I use a GHL doser it was a 2. But the 2.1 is the same I have several of those two.
The Maxi is better for auto water changes as it is a much larger pump.

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going horiznal I have a two car garage so everything is out there. Tank didn’t have a sump. But the run was 20 feet. The pump on a Tunze is a weak spot. On tanks I use it with I always keep a spare pump.
I use a GHL doser it was a 2. But the 2.1 is the same I have several of those two.
The Maxi is better for auto water changes as it is a much larger pump.
Ok thanks for the info. It's considerably more than the tunze, but I dont want failure either

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to understand what “not very beneficial” means, are you talking about size?
I just put a 5G tall plastic garbage can in my stand on my 60g and it keeps enough water for 15 days.
I didnt want to go bigger just in case something goes wrong and floods my living room.
I love to keep things tight and simple....sorry just another option if it’s worth anything...good luck.
8D232587-6FBF-4C03-ACD9-154AA6A83DD1.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to understand what “not very beneficial” means, are you talking about size?
I just put a 5G tall plastic garbage can in my stand on my 60g and it keeps enough water for 15 days.
I didnt want to go bigger just in case something goes wrong and floods my living room.
I love to keep things tight and simple....sorry just another option if it’s worth anything...good luck.
8D232587-6FBF-4C03-ACD9-154AA6A83DD1.jpeg
If I can find a container my dimensions, maybe 3 gallons at the most. And I am not paying for a custom container. Ive read a 40 breeder goes through 5 g/ week give or take. Im surprised 5 gallons lasts you that long. I really don't want to refill my ATO multiple times a week. Defeats the purpose for me. I'd love to go 3 weeks or so..1x a month would be great.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back