Nutramar Ova substitute?

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a skinny mandarin today.
I would like to get him feeding on nutramar ova but it doesn't seem to be in production.
Does anyone know of a similar brand?

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutramar ova and pods are the only things i know of... sucks their isn't any ova near you as a LFS of mine has TONS of the stuff and sell it for $3.99 a pack you can try baby brine or some other brand of frozen eggs

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill stop by the LFS tomorrow and see what I can find.
Im hoping mine have a back stock of ova like yours does.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it?
For a small one , live Rotifers in a low turnover tank.
The go to at Frozen baby brine shrimp, R.O.E , LRS fish eggs(messy needs to be chopped had big chinks to for bigger fish) live baby brine , black worms, a ball of chato/sponge/ pod hotel w bugs in the tank. PaulB's in tank brine shrimp hatchery. Asian market fresh prawn roe.

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes tiny! about 1.25 inches.
Ive got an ok amount of tiger pods but I mostly have munnid isopods in my tank, Like an absurd amount (part of the reason I ordered a mandarin.) But Im worried they may be too large for his mouth.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes tiny! about 1.25 inches.
Ive got an ok amount of tiger pods but I mostly have munnid isopods in my tank, Like an absurd amount (part of the reason I ordered a mandarin.) But Im worried they may be too large for his mouth.
Hard to say, but I'd bet he'll be ok.
Next thing would be dump a bottle of pods into a ball of chato and leave it in the tank.
Also you can look for frozen Rotifers.

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Im gonna try the market prawn roe from the asian food market. Ova is essentially the same thing to my understanding. I also have a small dwarf lion that I'm trying to get off live.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go frozen or flavored. And yep prawn roe is prawn roe. It's the size thing.

I know , flavored prawn roe ?
Lol.
It's good on toast I guess

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ova was available again relatively recently as I bought 3 flats from dr fosters last time I ordered frozen.

Edit - on back order now though. Glad I bought a bunch.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Im gonna try the market prawn roe from the asian food market. Ova is essentially the same thing to my understanding. I also have a small dwarf lion that I'm trying to get off live.
Umm a quick question, you have the Mandy in with a lionfish?

That is probably not good.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Mandarin a BIOTA captive? Mine was tiny and fairly skinny at first but now she's nice and round (I think) and growing. I tried Target feeding her but she runs from the feeding tube, so I just flood the tank with frozen bbs and rotifers when I feed my bigger fish. So far she's doing great.

Good luck!

Here's a pic of mine that's a three head acan and a pretty small/medium hermit crab next to her for reference

474957d5c9e97b59a800d7c2005db71e.jpg
03dbc167562435e90d4ff6bbdd186ac7.jpg
aca687c2a012367a25b2bd32202c276f.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that nutramar was out of production also :(

I've been mixing Oyster Feast with PE Calanus, which I guess are frozen pods. Mine seems to be slowly taking to it, but he's a lot bigger than yours.

I've read on a couple of Facebook pages that people are having luck with a product called "Mastick" but I haven't tried it myself. It's available on Amazon.

Asian market fresh prawn roe.

I didn't know about this. I'm going to have to go on the hunt for an Asian market. What does this stuff look like - is it frozen, come in a jar? I am NOT putting in on toast. Just no.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that nutramar was out of production also :(

I've been mixing Oyster Feast with PE Calanus, which I guess are frozen pods. Mine seems to be slowly taking to it, but he's a lot bigger than yours.

I've read on a couple of Facebook pages that people are having luck with a product called "Mastick" but I haven't tried it myself. It's available on Amazon.

I didn't know about this. I'm going to have to go on the hunt for an Asian market. What does this stuff look like - is it frozen, come in a jar? I am NOT putting in on toast. Just no.
The Right stuff comes in boxes like urchin roe, or on the prawn.

With it being such a popular food I kinda think it's not tsunamis and environmentally as is claimed , just a supplier /$$ prob.

I have some mastic I still haven't tried it yet. I'd guess my Pygmy angel will jump on it over the Mandy.

If you don't like toast , how a bout a bagel ? Or with noodles and sirach?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely find the LFS a credible source on these kinds of things. It was out of production for awhile last year, and then available again this past Summer, and now out of stock again. Does actually suggest some kind of seasonal/environmental problem. Perhaps it will be available again before my stock runs out LOL.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime, there is no true substitute. That, live blackworms, and if necessary live baby brine are my go tos for finicky eaters. I picked up a bunch of ova when it went back on sale, but I'm about to run out. I may have to go to the Asian fish market and see what that's all about! I too purchased some masstick but haven't tried it yet. I think its more geared towards angels and butterflies, but they can be pretty darn picky, so it might work. I think I ordered some rods egg's or whatever, but ime fish eggs don't get the response prawn eggs do.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely find the LFS a credible source on these kinds of things. It was out of production for awhile last year, and then available again this past Summer, and now out of stock again. Does actually suggest some kind of seasonal/environmental problem. Perhaps it will be available again before my stock runs out LOL.
It was out of production for years in fact.

And it's prawn roe. It's a specific prawn roe. It's a specific prawn roe you can by jarred and canned and sometimes fresh with the prawn in some stores.

It's one of the reasons I suggest mixing up foods you trashed feed to Mandy's and other dragonetts.
Ours hardly ate anything but bugs and ova. Ova ran out , tank crashed. No bugs , no ova , no Mandy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was out of production for years in fact.

Yeah maybe so. I tend to buy frozen in bulk, and I don't use ova all that frequently so a flat will last me easily 6 months. My last one got used up just as it was available again last summer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back