scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way way to soon for adding a rbta
Just keep a close eye on it, I couldn’t see close enough, are you using any power heads if so highly recommend getting a guard for it learned that the hard way when I first started in the hobby lol. I think the brand that makes them for echotech is nemprotect.

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is doing great! @Scuba: you know, that was initially my concern. However, my local LFS were adamant about having great success in client tanks with these rainbows being pretty hearty. Probably put it in around the four month mark and have had great success, thankfully. She got pretty monstrous and then actually split in three. All of which are growing big again, so I may have to get rid of a one or two.

95966AE4-BD4F-4420-BF6A-B565B349FDBA.jpeg

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I’ve had
Just keep a close eye on it, I couldn’t see close enough, are you using any power heads if so highly recommend getting a guard for it learned that the hard way when I first started in the hobby lol. I think the brand that makes them for echotech is nemprotect.

@Jud Updates??? you have a PM.
All is doing great! @Scuba: you know, that was initially my concern. However, my local LFS were adamant about having great success in client tanks with these rainbows being pretty hearty. Probably put it in around the four month mark and have had great success, thankfully. She got pretty monstrous and then actually split in three. All of which are growing big again, so I may have to get rid of a one or two.

yep, two MP10’s. Guards were on from tank beginning.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to hear that things are doing well. Although I’m not scuba, I appreciate the update lol! I was able to start up my 40 as well. You should check out my thread! :)

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that things are doing well. Although I’m not scuba, I appreciate the update lol! I was able to start up my 40 as well. You should check out my thread! :)

Ha, sorry about that! Hit the wrong reply there. Absolutely - will check it out!

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little general update. Have definitely been running pretty heavily stocked, but keeping up on water changes, skim pretty wet, and params are all good. Hanna’s were a worthwhile investment for sure.

I actually haven’t needed to kick on my T5’s yet. Everything has been growing great under a single Hydra26. But I am going to rent a PAR meter here one of these days.

I did add in some additional rock work via Real Reef Rocks. Absolutely love the stuff.

Also have been a little frag crazy as of late, but haven’t really had to kick on my dosers and run two part yet. I’m sure that will change.

Livestock:
- Picasso Clown (male)
- Black & White Clown (HBIC)
- Orange Spot Goby
- Red Fire Fish
- Purple Fire Fish
- Yellow & Purple (Four Spot) Wrasse
- Tiger Conch
- Three Rainbow BTA
- Assorted CUC

Coral Stock:
- Jack O Lantern Lepto
- Green Cabbage Leather
- Mystic Sunset Montipora
- Seasons Greetings Montipora
- ORA Green Birdsnest
- Miyagi (supposed) Tort
- Meteor Shower cyphastrea
- Tangerine Lepto
- Pipe organ coral
- Rasta Zoas
- Bam Bams
- Big red Acan (hillae?) - could be a scoly. Kind of unknown.
- Pom Pom xenia
- Blueberry Fields acro
- Toxic splatter hammer
- Blue cyohastrea
- Forest Fire digitata
- War coral
- Fascination favia
- Orange crush acan
- Bubble coral
- Superman rhodactis
- Rainbow acans
- Black torch

Have a few new mushrooms on the way, including an interstellar, Sunkist, etc. I’m pretty much at max capacity on fish for now, and will probably have to scale back (or more likely get a bigger tank) soon.

The only loss I’ve had was unfortunately a bleeding Apple scoly. That was my first, and it seemed extremely temperamental. Losing that $160 stung, but maybe I’ll try again someday.

Here are some horrible blue photos from the last few months. Happy reefing!

A4FC66DA-6C38-4BFF-AF8E-252CC99FD691.jpeg 2339BC2D-84A9-4030-8320-40741CE728CA.jpeg C4715EF1-F528-45D8-A606-7F6C4A037A91.jpeg 86B42176-E14A-4CA4-88C7-E44A027D3913.jpeg 5C139DAF-8791-455E-83AC-788339D2844D.jpeg

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! All has been going well. I’m actually running out of room so I’m trying to teach myself to be content with things for a while and let the corals all grow out. Easier said than done.

Everything has been happy to growing, for the most part. Thinking about adding a touch more real reef rock eventually, just to add in more frag space.

Equipment List:
- Nuvo 40
- Sycce Synchra 1.5
- Two (2) Vortech MP10
- Hydra 26 HD
- Two 24” Miro T5 Retrofit
- Neptune Apex
- Tunze ATO
- intank Media Caddy
- Intank Back Chamber Cover
- DIY rubble basket in back chamber
- DIY apex LDK with rain sensors

I’ll run carbon or GFO in bags when needed, but that’s about it. Microbakter on occasion to keep up bacteria population.

Switched from Reef Roids to Benereef and I’m definitely digging that. That’s about it!

404D1DF9-54A4-493E-898E-39BECCB8F001.jpeg
3B0536FB-ED58-476A-AB17-CBD0801CC0D2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5860.MOV
    12.8 MB

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! All has been going well. I’m actually running out of room so I’m trying to teach myself to be content with things for a while and let the corals all grow out. Easier said than done.

Everything has been happy to growing, for the most part. Thinking about adding a touch more real reef rock eventually, just to add in more frag space.

Equipment List:
- Nuvo 40
- Sycce Synchra 1.5
- Two (2) Vortech MP10
- Hydra 26 HD
- Two 24” Miro T5 Retrofit
- Neptune Apex
- Tunze ATO
- intank Media Caddy
- Intank Back Chamber Cover
- DIY rubble basket in back chamber
- DIY apex LDK with rain sensors

I’ll run carbon or GFO in bags when needed, but that’s about it. Microbakter on occasion to keep up bacteria population.

Switched from Reef Roids to Benereef and I’m definitely digging that. That’s about it!

404D1DF9-54A4-493E-898E-39BECCB8F001.jpeg
3B0536FB-ED58-476A-AB17-CBD0801CC0D2.jpeg
Beauty. I like the placement of those MP10s - you're probably getting a nice transient gyre effect in there. I think I'm getting most of the stuff on your list, although may save a few bucks and go with Tunze 6040s.

Do you run a skimmer?

How's that cabinet looking inside? I'm trying to envision (and steal ideas) of others :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, for sure! I just run them on reef crest anti-sync. Honestly probably way more power than I need, as I run them at aroun

I do run a tunze 9004 DC skimmer. I was originally getting an annoying amount of algae growth in the back compartments, being open to the light and nutrient rich, I assume. So I put in that cover and it keeps everything neat back there, covers the skimmer, and killed off MOST algae growth. I’ve definitely played around with the idea of getting one of those mini internal algae reactors, but I’m not sure the nutrient export on something so small would be noticeable?

The inside of the cabinet is not a museum quality situation, ha. I have a 5 gallon acrylic ATO, the apex, and some leak sensors. Been meaning to clean up the wiring in there, just haven’t gotten around to it I suppose.

The inside of the cabinet is, however, coated with white flex seal paint. That has saved my butt multiple times and is well worth it. Most recently when my phone starts blowing up with leak detection notifications. I open the cabinet to see the ATO container overflowing. The ATO hose in the back of the tank had slipped below the waterline and created a siphon. First time that’s happened.

I probably put a solid gallon or two in the bottom of the cabinet, and it was no worse for wear after an hour. Held all the water, but none of the LDK modules under the stand itself went off.

The one upgrade I would have made off the bat (besides a larger tank, ha) is switching from the Tunze 3152 to 3155. The sensor redundancy seems nice, just in case. I do have my ATO timing “gated” via apex so it can’t run too long. Floods are just my worst nightmare, given than I’m in a third floor apartment. Which is really why I went AIO tank to begin with - pretty much self contained.

Best of luck with the build and send along the thread updates when you post em!

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, for sure! I just run them on reef crest anti-sync. Honestly probably way more power than I need, as I run them at aroun

I do run a tunze 9004 DC skimmer. I was originally getting an annoying amount of algae growth in the back compartments, being open to the light and nutrient rich, I assume. So I put in that cover and it keeps everything neat back there, covers the skimmer, and killed off MOST algae growth. I’ve definitely played around with the idea of getting one of those mini internal algae reactors, but I’m not sure the nutrient export on something so small would be noticeable?

The inside of the cabinet is not a museum quality situation, ha. I have a 5 gallon acrylic ATO, the apex, and some leak sensors. Been meaning to clean up the wiring in there, just haven’t gotten around to it I suppose.

The inside of the cabinet is, however, coated with white flex seal paint. That has saved my butt multiple times and is well worth it. Most recently when my phone starts blowing up with leak detection notifications. I open the cabinet to see the ATO container overflowing. The ATO hose in the back of the tank had slipped below the waterline and created a siphon. First time that’s happened.

I probably put a solid gallon or two in the bottom of the cabinet, and it was no worse for wear after an hour. Held all the water, but none of the LDK modules under the stand itself went off.

The one upgrade I would have made off the bat (besides a larger tank, ha) is switching from the Tunze 3152 to 3155. The sensor redundancy seems nice, just in case. I do have my ATO timing “gated” via apex so it can’t run too long. Floods are just my worst nightmare, given than I’m in a third floor apartment. Which is really why I went AIO tank to begin with - pretty much self contained.

Best of luck with the build and send along the thread updates when you post em!
These are valuable insights. Definitely going to go with an Apex EL, some leak sensors (maybe DIY), and the Tunze 3155 ATO. I like the idea of water proofing the cabinet too, and a back shield like the new Red Sea AIO systems to limit algae growth and for aesthetics seems logical. Jumpers too.

I’ll try to get around to a build thread - document and learn from others could be fun. I’m aiming for simplicity but also keen to add some technology to minimize water changes and improve livetock health.

My current game plan:
-IM 528 return pump (maybe even a Varios 2 if it fits?!)
-Tunze 640 Wavemakers x 2 (I’d get MP10s just not sure about the budget)
-Chamber 1: InTank caddy with floss, carbon, possibly transient chemipure for phosphates
-Chamber 2: TBD. Possibly Chaetomax LED and InTank refugium. I’d like to have a healthy pod population. Or a biomedia reactor.
-Chamber 3: return, some titanium 150W heater, and ATO
-Chamber 4: Newer IM skimmer (although a bit hesitant on this).
-Chamber 5: another caddy basket.

Any thoughts on all this? Pros and cons? Would you go with a biomedia reactor or a refugium? Hmmm...

Thanks

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it, man! Ultimately your canvas to mess with and figure out what works best. I’d definitely be eager to discuss pros/cons of what is working and what isn’t down the road. If anything this hobby is all about growth and chasing non-existent perfection, right?

I’m not too up to speed on the new IM skimmers, though they do seem to make great stuff and bonus points if it fits in one of the smaller chamber. For me, the popular option at the time were the ghost skimmers and I never heard much positive. That’s why I went with Tunze - but the biggest thing I like is the DC and being able to easily tune, which it sounds like IM has now.

Id played around with the idea of doing a chamber dedicated fuge, but then read some articles about the efficiency of nutrient export via chaeto in small sumps or fuges not being worth the squeeze, and that turned me off to it. I’ll see if I can dig that up. Who knows, maybe research has changed.

I did end up going with a DIY basket with rubble for a pod home, but you also have to be careful that it doesn’t become a nutrient sink like bio balls. It does collect a ton of debris in there. I just mainly like to have extra rock for frags etc, and am not totally sold that it’s a good thing for my tank.

The DIY rain sensor mod from ReefDudes is so easy and cheap. Can’t recommend that more.

I’d be curious to see your results with a bio reactor in there. Something I was interested in, but never tried. I definitely leaned on running GFO too regularly, instead of using it to address a problem. So I’m trying to change my thinking there.

I do still think about picking up a Santa Monica Drop 1.4x to play around with a basic in tank algae scrubber. That said, I haven’t had a HUGE issue with algae lately.

My basic mantra has just been to change larger amounts of water more often. I’ll do a 50% water change about every two weeks, as it’s much easier with tanks this size. That’s definitely been the biggest factor I can see in how happy everything is.

These are valuable insights. Definitely going to go with an Apex EL, some leak sensors (maybe DIY), and the Tunze 3155 ATO. I like the idea of water proofing the cabinet too, and a back shield like the new Red Sea AIO systems to limit algae growth and for aesthetics seems logical. Jumpers too.

I’ll try to get around to a build thread - document and learn from others could be fun. I’m aiming for simplicity but also keen to add some technology to minimize water changes and improve livetock health.

My current game plan:
-IM 528 return pump (maybe even a Varios 2 if it fits?!)
-Tunze 640 Wavemakers x 2 (I’d get MP10s just not sure about the budget)
-Chamber 1: InTank caddy with floss, carbon, possibly transient chemipure for phosphates
-Chamber 2: TBD. Possibly Chaetomax LED and InTank refugium. I’d like to have a healthy pod population. Or a biomedia reactor.
-Chamber 3: return, some titanium 150W heater, and ATO
-Chamber 4: Newer IM skimmer (although a bit hesitant on this).
-Chamber 5: another caddy basket.

Any thoughts on all this? Pros and cons? Would you go with a biomedia reactor or a refugium? Hmmm...

Thanks

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d post a quick update as it’s been a while.

While this little AIO tank is great on space, I haven’t ever felt like they are great at nutrient export. Despite changing my feeding to 3/4 cube every other day (for four fish) and dialing up my Tunze 9004 - I’ve always felt like there have been high nitrate/phosphate issues still at 1.5+ years in.

My workaround thus far has really been to do massive water changes around 80% every two weeks, but that’s not necessarily sustainable. So the next target was really clearing out the rear chambers, as I’ve had a suspicion they are detritus traps.

The major culprit was a DIY rubble basket I had in one of the chambers. I removed it, scrubbed and vacuumed out the chambers, which only confirmed my suspicion.

In speaking with the folks at InTank, they actually recommended trying to seal off the main rear chamber (circled below in red) as they become nutrient traps. So I ended up getting a second pump (Sicce Syncra .5) and putting it down into the center return compartment. Managed to fit it in next to my main display return, a Sicce Syncra 2.

I got a small 1/2” street elbow from Lowe’s and threw it on the pump. Connect the pump to Apex, and now just keep it running constantly. At first, it pumped out a TON of gunk into the display, which had me nervous. So today I did around 80-90% water change, siphoned, and scrubbed out the back chambers.

I also got a piece of acrylic sheeting from Home Depot and crudely cut it to fit the center chamber in the rear. Cut some slots for the return lines and a couple cables, and drilled some holes for water to pass through. However, this time I put a piece of pinky floss to fit the space.

Actually really pleased with how it turned out, and hoping that the circulating pump in the main compartment combined with reduced ability for detritus to settle in any of those back chambers should help fix my nutrient problems.

Finally started using a little purigen as well, per LFS recommendation. Running along with carbon and GFO in the media caddy for now. We’ll see!

Some pics below to illustrate, along with a semi recent pic. Despite a little algae everything has been growing extremely well and I’ll need to start trading/upgrading some of these frags and small colonies.

F1B0EDE5-940B-4519-A7C7-997DE577A2FF.jpeg
03D4629A-C397-4864-80BD-2A418F618EFD.png
CB952018-EA86-4696-8AE9-45D7464288F1.jpeg
A9FB62CA-5872-464F-9256-A0B8119DCBB6.jpeg
201E40AE-77B4-42BF-9A77-248ADF0FF0D1.jpeg
96A7B9D4-3FA7-4B04-8A90-5FE47C01B135.jpeg
BB2E7D18-C939-4005-BEDB-09E39635CBEE.jpeg

JustaReefer1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this upgrade that you have done. I have the fusion 40 pro not sure what the difference is. But I was worried about this as well. So did you have a extra pump down there to help or did you just add what I would call a catch to the back.
I love the way you did the lights too. Is this tank still up and running? Its been about 1 1/2 years

"I lost My Cuzzin Mike Mike Oct.21 202O"

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back