Oceanic Bio Cube Build

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been out of the hobby for about 6 years but i had been quite active in the hobby prior to that dating back to 2002. I had 3 tanks in the past, a 85 gallon half hex, 29 biocube, and 20 gallon standard tank. My kids are now at the age where they have taken a real interest in fish and were very keen to get the tank going again. I kept the 29 gallon biocube in storage all these years so i set it up yesterday and filled it with water / citric acid to give it a good clean before starting the tanks cycle.

I'm excited to see all the new gear / change that has come to the hobby in the past 6 years and thought the kids would enjoy helping me get it together and posting some pictures for the thread.

Cheers!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! And welcome back to the hobby!

That's awesome to hear that you'll be taking this on as a family! I'll be following along!

OP
OP
M

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zach & Salty, a few pics of it empty and filled (for cleaning).

Next step is get my RO setup again its been in a box for years i have all new filters and a new membrane for it to swap out the old ones.

IMG_5208 (1).jpeg IMG_5210 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
M

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - disaster struck the cube and on a morning check we found a significant water leak. After cleaning everything out of the tank there is a crack through the bottom of the tank. I've ordered a 6mm pane of glass to patch it and hopefully that works or i'll be in the market for a new tank!

Attachments

• IMG_5229.jpeg
    IMG_5229.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 29

knecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leak! I would be leery of a patch. I wish you luck. My LFS has had a BioCube setup for years loaded full of corals and it’s beautiful.

OP
OP
M

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also leery but i have patched many tanks in the past without issue. My issue with this one is the age, if it holds i'm going to use it to get everything started and the rock cycling and plan on replacing it within a few months. If the patch doesn't hold i'll just start the cycle in some containers and have to order online. I have been looking at other cubes but if it doesn't hold up what do people recommend?

knecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess it depends on what you want to spend. I like the Waterbox, Innovative Marine, and Red Sea AIOs.

OP
OP
M

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like i'm going to have to rename the thread - i wasn't able to patch the tank due to the plastic framing so i'm going to have to replace it. It looks like it might be a good weekend to pick one up with the labor day sales on!

OP
OP
M

mcgster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After kicking around a few different options i just ordered the Red Sea Reefer 200 XL, RIP oceanic bio cube but i'm looking forward to the new tank arriving.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back