Ocellaris being hosted by inanimate objects?

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is finally in a place where I felt like it might be ok to roll the dice and try a little ocellaris. I named him Ozymandias. <3

He acclimated well(dripped for about an hour) and is clumsily hovering around my protein skimmer intake tube. Is he just going through his new home quirks, or has he actually decided that he's attached to this hunk of plastic? Do they grow attached this quickly, or am I just worrying over nothing?

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over worrying, it's a clown.

Mine seem to think the underside of my frag rack is home. At night they sleep in the top corner near the overflow, straight up and down.

They do weird things.

FYI, cause someone's going to say it.....
Clowns don't host things, the things they stay on are the hosts(IE, "my clowns are hosting my anemone", no your anemone is the host).

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyCupcake I Will be the first to tell you I am not the most experienced hobbyist on this site but I have currently 6 pairs of clowns and they are unpredictable. That being said you have nothing to worry about because you cant control what host them! It may like the plastic for other reasons besides it being plastic, it could be lighting, flow, hiding ability, anything! I would not worry about it. I have one that only stays at the bottom of the heater! Goodluck!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would host any dang thing that moved. Caught them trying to host a hermit crab as it moved once... Welcome to clowns... That tanks bee. Up for 2 years, so I tossed a nem in as they were killing coral... 5 days later.....
IMG_20200407_162033.jpg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, they’ll use about anything as a host. They’re like that guy from college that just kind of “crashed” on someones couch, but he’d get mad when you called him out on it (wait until you get more inhabitants and see what your clown does when they try to sit on his “couch”)

OP
OP
SaltyCupcake

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, I am loving to hear about how 'special' little clowns are. It's hilarious and fascinating to learn about how they will snuggle up with completely random things. I hope he has some amazing adventures(that don't involve him getting wedged in anything or stuck on a powerhead). :)

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sleep in the top left overflow of my 125 gallon. I think it is because my blue tang (which is only about 4") also sleeps up there. Before he came, they'd just sleep wherever. I don't have an anemone and the corals aren't being enough for them to stay in yet.

OP
OP
SaltyCupcake

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has now discovered the rest of the tank and it's like he found a new planet. Oh my goodness he is fun to watch. My TV is going to start collecting dust. He reminds me so much of Jack Skellington when he discovered Christmas Land in the Nightmare Before Christmas!

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my clown has spent the past year and a half cruising the tank during the day and sleeping cozied up next to the overflow every night. So far it's left all the corals alone, including all my euphylia and duncans.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has now discovered the rest of the tank and it's like he found a new planet. Oh my goodness he is fun to watch. My TV is going to start collecting dust. He reminds me so much of Jack Skellington when he discovered Christmas Land in the Nightmare Before Christmas!

Wait until they start “surfing” the power head current. It’s hilarious. They’re such bad swimmers but they’re fearless.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea clowns are well clowns. My two Linda and Charlie spent some time exploring the tank but now stay in the left hand side of the overflow under a powerhead in a low flow area and just come to the front when I feed them or they think I am going to feed them and go right back to their spot. At night they both sleep vertically on the back glass in their spot in the tank

Back