Official Ultra Reef fluidized reactors users showcase and discussion

How often do you change your media in the reactor?

• Every month or more

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Every 2 weeks

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Every week

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No idea... I have never changed it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When it stops flowing

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a place to showcase and discuss your experience with the Ultra Reef fluidized reactor.

Background: as many of you know, Unique is the first in the US to offer the newly designed Ultra Reef UFF003 fluidized media reactor. Designed and made in Italy, this unit features a single PVC input fitting that is fully adjustable (swingable). Water enters the unit from this pvc via a small powerhead or pump, and flows upwards through the media until gently overflowing down the sides of the unit. This means no upper assembly to deal with. No gasket, compression rings, plumbing parts etc. The recessed acrylic body allows ample room for the water to cascade down the outside of the unit without running down the sides of the sump should the unit be placed against the inner side wall of the filter. The best part of the unit is the bayonet style cartridge removal. Just twist the acrylic cylinder 1" clockwise and the media chamber instantly detaches from the solid base. This separation allows for easy media replacement and rinsing in the sink. To replace the unit simply reverse the process. This can all be done while leaving the feed pump on. Great for carbon and GFO.

UltraReef model UFF003 Fluidized Media Reactor: The number one choice of Triton reefers - Designed with simple maintenance in mind! Removable acrylic cartridge for quick media swaps! Flow rate -100gph-250gph depending on media type and volume. This unit features a single PVC input fitting on the base that is fully adjustable (swingable). Water enters the unit from this pvc via a small powerhead or pump (not supplied) and flows upwards through the media until gently overflowing the top, and down the sides of the unit. This means no upper assembly to deal with. No gasket, compression rings, plumbing parts etc. The recessed acrylic body allows ample room for the water to cascade down the outside of the unit without running down the sides of the sump should the unit be placed against the inner side wall of the filter. The best part of the unit is the bayonet style cartridge removal. Just twist the acrylic cylinder 1" clockwise and the media chamber instantly detaches from the solid base. This separation allows for easy media replacement and rinsing in the sink. To replace the unit simply reverse the process. This can all be done while leaving the feed pump on. Great for carbon and GFO.

We envision maintenance companies purchasing extra acrylic tubes, loading them with media in their shop, then swapping them out in the field in a matter of seconds. No more messy swaps and cleanup in client’s sinks!

17799164_1508194705889058_4649815731562630022_n.jpg
17760204_1508194709222391_8587234152011622306_n.jpg
17492899_1508194762555719_216197200354953892_o.jpg
17796273_1508194732555722_287531749693640130_n.jpg

Total Height- 18"
Base circumference- 5.5"
Acrylic cylinder diameter- 4"

For a video demonstration of how it works, CLICK HERE.

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of switching to using lanthanum chloride for phosphate removing. Seems a lot cheaper and better results.

theMerchant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those reactors are really nice, hopefully they will be available for the masses

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there may be a typo. Surely it's supposed to be $58 and not $158 for a reactor.

It's just passing water through media correct? The BRS version may not be fancy, but water passes through media.

It is from Italy though!

Kallor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there may be a typo. Surely it's supposed to be $58 and not $158 for a reactor.

It's just passing water through media correct? The BRS version may not be fancy, but water passes through media.

It is from Italy though!
Haha yeah they aren't cheap - but if the design works, they would be much faster and cleaner to service than the BRS reactor. With the BRS reactor, you have to unscrew the media with a wrench. Reattaching the media chamber is also a bit cumbersome (we've all done this with our RO/DI pre-filter cartridges).

This design looks like a simple half-turn to remove and another half-turn to reinstall. Over a few years of use and the extra cost might be worth it to a lot of folks if they actually are substantially easier to use (and comparably robust and reliable).

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah they aren't cheap - but if the design works, they would be much faster and cleaner to service than the BRS reactor. With the BRS reactor, you have to unscrew the media with a wrench. Reattaching the media chamber is also a bit cumbersome (we've all done this with our RO/DI pre-filter cartridges).

This design looks like a simple half-turn to remove and another half-turn to reinstall. Over a few years of use and the extra cost might be worth it to a lot of folks if they actually are substantially easier to use (and comparably robust and reliable).

Very valid point, thanks!

BRS-please quickly copy this design and sell for $75! Not comfortable with this plan......Jebao?????

Kallor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a place to showcase and discuss your experience with the Ultra Reef fluidized reactor.

Background: as many of you know, Unique is the first in the US to offer the newly designed Ultra Reef UFF003 fluidized media reactor. Designed and made in Italy, this unit features a single PVC input fitting that is fully adjustable (swingable). Water enters the unit from this pvc via a small powerhead or pump, and flows upwards through the media until gently overflowing down the sides of the unit. This means no upper assembly to deal with. No gasket, compression rings, plumbing parts etc. The recessed acrylic body allows ample room for the water to cascade down the outside of the unit without running down the sides of the sump should the unit be placed against the inner side wall of the filter. The best part of the unit is the bayonet style cartridge removal. Just twist the acrylic cylinder 1" clockwise and the media chamber instantly detaches from the solid base. This separation allows for easy media replacement and rinsing in the sink. To replace the unit simply reverse the process. This can all be done while leaving the feed pump on. Great for carbon and GFO.

UltraReef model UFF003 Fluidized Media Reactor: The number one choice of Triton reefers - Designed with simple maintenance in mind! Removable acrylic cartridge for quick media swaps! Flow rate -100gph-250gph depending on media type and volume. This unit features a single PVC input fitting on the base that is fully adjustable (swingable). Water enters the unit from this pvc via a small powerhead or pump (not supplied) and flows upwards through the media until gently overflowing the top, and down the sides of the unit. This means no upper assembly to deal with. No gasket, compression rings, plumbing parts etc. The recessed acrylic body allows ample room for the water to cascade down the outside of the unit without running down the sides of the sump should the unit be placed against the inner side wall of the filter. The best part of the unit is the bayonet style cartridge removal. Just twist the acrylic cylinder 1" clockwise and the media chamber instantly detaches from the solid base. This separation allows for easy media replacement and rinsing in the sink. To replace the unit simply reverse the process. This can all be done while leaving the feed pump on. Great for carbon and GFO.

We envision maintenance companies purchasing extra acrylic tubes, loading them with media in their shop, then swapping them out in the field in a matter of seconds. No more messy swaps and cleanup in client’s sinks!

17799164_1508194705889058_4649815731562630022_n.jpg
17760204_1508194709222391_8587234152011622306_n.jpg
17492899_1508194762555719_216197200354953892_o.jpg
17796273_1508194732555722_287531749693640130_n.jpg

Total Height- 18"
Base circumference- 5.5"
Acrylic cylinder diameter- 4"

For a video demonstration of how it works, CLICK HERE.

UniqueCorals,

Would you guys be willing to post walk-thorough video of this unique reactor? It would really helpful to see how the acrylic reactor chamber is constructed, how the media changing process works, and how/if GFO works well in this unit. Also, GFO requires more pressure/flow than carbon, and it would be nice to see how well GFO tumbles given this unique design.

I'm interested in this reactor, but they are on the pricey side so being able to better see the construction and some GFO-in-action videos would go a long way.

Thanks!

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting on an answer regarding the availability of replacement foam, I thought I would chime in with my thoughts on using a pair of UF003's for the past year. Simply put, they are awesome!

First impression when you pull one out, they are solid. The PVC used is heavy and the machining is well executed.

Installation couldn't be any easier - simply zip-tied some small Sicce pumps on using silicon tubing and everything was GTG.

There is an old adage in reef keeping that the easier a maintenance task is, the more likely it is to get done and that couldn't be more true than in the case of Ultra Reefs reactors. Twist and pull and the reactor tube is out - I have found that I need to place a hand in the sump to hold the base. A little annoying, but not a big deal. Often have wondered if a silicon pad or feet underneath the base would eliminate the need.

Unlike the picture above, both of my units came with a solid PVC rod in the center with o-rings holding the perforated plate and the base of the cylinder. Really like that (more so than the screw shown above). I have gone through a couple of tiny o-rings, but that was my fault. They can be a bit fiddly to get off the groove in the rod and for a while I was using the tip of a sharp screw to get them rolling out of the groove. A few pennies at Lowe's to replace and I have since found a dental pick to be the tool of choice.

I think I've used just about every reactor that's come down the pike in the past 40-years and hands down these are the easiest I have ever used. So much so that my carbon and GFO actually get changed every month when they are supposed to!

Now for some replacement foam... in the meantime, if you have any questions, just let know.

M

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread I know but I have just done a user review of these great reactors. Deltec eat ya hearts out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back