Old hobbist getting back into it

Laura Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Laura and while in high school and college I had a 220g FOWLR tank. Sold that as it was too much for my parents to take care of. It’s been a little bit but my husband and I are getting back into the hobby. We recently just set up a 75g tank that we hope to mainly have fish but some easy corals here and there.

I’m excited to learn and keeping a saltwater aquarium has changed a little bit from when I first started and I want to make sure I do everything right!

Thanks

Laura

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

I was out for a decade, got back in, what, two and a half years ago? I was excited about all of the new equipment too... but after some time back in, I find that it really hasn't changed that much. You'll find your experience is still quite valid, and valuable, today.

The few things that are a huge improvement:
1) Many online vendors, and a very wide selection of gear (and critters) available. Much better than a decade ago.
2) GFO. Makes phosphate control easy.
3) Controllers. I resisted this one at first, but ended up with a cheap Reefkeeper Lite. I'll never own an aquarium without a controller again.

All the other stuff, well... I tried LED's, and now I'm back to T5's. Most of my pumps are old fashioned AC powered pumps... the DC ones are neat, but how often do you really need to change flow rates? All the new 'systems' like Triton, Zeovit, Aquaforest, Red Sea... Nothing yet, in my experience, replaces good aquarium husbandry practices.

Enjoy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back