0   0   0
R2R 2.gif

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back.

Your back story is very close to mine. I have nearly four years in and maybe I can save you some time and money..... or cost you a hole lot more...
Here is my take on lessons learned.

1- Forget what you know and start over.
2- QT EVERYTHING !!!!! Fish, corals, inverts and live rock..... dip most EVERYTHING (toss original plugs) When I buy fish they get acclimated with Prozipro and corals in Revive coral cleaner. You will need to research dry VRS live rock....
3- BUY the BIGGEST tank you can.
4- Contemplate worst case scenario and plan for it (power outage, equipment failure etc.) and think redundancy.

I also looked at the 32 cube but a friend talked me out of it and said " You will never be satisfied with a small tank due to its limitation on livestock" He was right. I bought the Red Sea 525XXL, then started a 30 gallon QT tank. The QT tank is now 75 gallons and a frag tank with fish just incase I need to add to the 525. The 38 gallon sump is now also a fish tank... or is it still a sump or both? I have been throwing the idea of a Innovative 200 int/ext around with the Warden, I am trying to sell the idea of just ONE LARGE tank. I thought the 525 would be big enough.... Hmm... is the 200 big enough? or should it be BIGGER?

Happy reefing

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I was heavy into saltwater and reefs in particular in the early 2000's and once kiddos came along....well....you know. They're grown now :grinning-face:

Anyway, all my systems were larger back then and had a nice side business selling frags and even setup a few systems for people. I had always wanted a smaller nano-style tank so that's what I'm starting back with, BioCube 32g is being set up today. I plan on a mostly reef tank with lots of inverts and likely 2-3 fish (wife requirement).

I've forgotten most of everything over the past 20 years and am sure the technology and methods have greatly evolved. I already see LEDs have finally become viable over the old metal halides (thankfully!). No more giant powerheads hanging in all corners to get flow.

I look forward to learning from everyone in a hobby that dearly loved and missed.
Channel 9 Reaction GIF by The Block

OP
OP
firedad74

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back.

Your back story is very close to mine. I have nearly four years in and maybe I can save you some time and money..... or cost you a hole lot more...
Here is my take on lessons learned.

1- Forget what you know and start over.
2- QT EVERYTHING !!!!! Fish, corals, inverts and live rock..... dip most EVERYTHING (toss original plugs) When I buy fish they get acclimated with Prozipro and corals in Revive coral cleaner. You will need to research dry VRS live rock....
3- BUY the BIGGEST tank you can.
4- Contemplate worst case scenario and plan for it (power outage, equipment failure etc.) and think redundancy.

I also looked at the 32 cube but a friend talked me out of it and said " You will never be satisfied with a small tank due to its limitation on livestock" He was right. I bought the Red Sea 525XXL, then started a 30 gallon QT tank. The QT tank is now 75 gallons and a frag tank with fish just incase I need to add to the 525. The 38 gallon sump is now also a fish tank... or is it still a sump or both? I have been throwing the idea of a Innovative 200 int/ext around with the Warden, I am trying to sell the idea of just ONE LARGE tank. I thought the 525 would be big enough.... Hmm... is the 200 big enough? or should it be BIGGER?

Happy reefing
Thanks for the tips!

1 - Forgot everything anyway so I'm ahead of the game!
2 - QT's are mandatory for fish IMO. I never QT'd my inverts/corals back then but maybe I should rethink that.
3 - I'm limited on tank size at the moment. Not because of space but due to a spouse with no aquarium experience. I give her 6 months and she'll be fully on board with a large setup and I'll move the Cube to another room. :grinning-face:
4 - With such a small footprint with the BioCube I'll have to pick and choose what extra equipment I can fit into the stand. My old house had a backup generator but not my current house. I'll look into battery backup systems that may fit.

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all! I was heavy into saltwater and reefs in particular in the early 2000's and once kiddos came along....well....you know. They're grown now :grinning-face:

Anyway, all my systems were larger back then and had a nice side business selling frags and even setup a few systems for people. I had always wanted a smaller nano-style tank so that's what I'm starting back with, BioCube 32g is being set up today. I plan on a mostly reef tank with lots of inverts and likely 2-3 fish (wife requirement).

I've forgotten most of everything over the past 20 years and am sure the technology and methods have greatly evolved. I already see LEDs have finally become viable over the old metal halides (thankfully!). No more giant powerheads hanging in all corners to get flow.

I look forward to learning from everyone in a hobby that dearly loved and missed.
One of us
1691948721918.gif

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome back to the hobby! Congrats

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back