One thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

Have you ever made a decision that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 254 82.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a better reef tank! We want it to look better, be healthier and grow faster. As reef keepers we sometimes make mistakes that deter us from that goal but other times we make a good move that improves our reef tank. Some of the things we do has also worked for others, while other things might not work as well. What was it for you? Let's talk about it today!

What was one thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

TELL US ABOUT IT!

Image via our Reef Of The Month @Bacon505
Progression.jpeg
I did three things, upgraded from a 40 to 125, after I notice I couldn't keep a soft coral not even a xenia alive, I decided to do a 90% water change and swap out my old sand for live sand, now, all of my corals are thriving a month later! My soft corals grew back entirely, I have sps, LPS, and leather corals. My waving hand went from almost been completely melted to growing out of control! I'm super happy I made those three big changes.

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were the biggest help with keeping coral. Fish were relatively easy but coral was another thing. Since getting some AI el SOLS my coral starting growing like crazy.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped caring so much. Realizing that things need to be left alone and let nature take its course was something that made the tank much better. And I also realized that being perfect on everything you do for the tank and intervening on everything is worse than letting nature do its thing. Also, having the best is good, but not required

FEED ME ZOAS

Eater of Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up neglecting my tank for about a year. I got it going, got some fishpond, got some zoas, overfed reef roids a single time, had a bunch of zoas get choked out by algae, and then it kind of just was there. Kept the fish fed and they've grown, but just recently have gotten back on. Keeping the glass clean has been the biggest visual thing. My ceriths have bred a few times so in my 18 gallon aio I've got orders of magnitude too many. When there's not algae on the glass I can see into the tank without having to look past copious amounts of ceriths lol.

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to do Triton ICP water testing every 2 months and coarse correcting based on their recommendation. I have seen considerable improvement since then. I also started trace dosing because each water test showed several trace elements were always low when I got my water tests back. They were Iodine, Vanadium, Zinc and Manganese.
I do a 50 gallon water change every month but that in itself was not enough to replenish my needed nutrients.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with both dry and live rock, as well as a fully functional refugium. I have never had any nuisance algae in the main tank and corals doing well. The other item I swear by is my KH Director which has allowed me to keep ALK rock solid. I never had success with SPS before this addition.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae got out of hand on my 90. Love it or hate it I dosed Vibrant. Removed my chaeto and started dosing Vibrant in Feb and continued well past all bubble algae was gone. I stopped the dosing at the end of Aug and this week I will move the chaeto back and bring the fuge online.

When I started dosing the Vibrant I did not expect a quick fix or miracles. Stuck with it and it saved my reef. No loss of corals neither.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recently, its been chaetogro( from little yellow chaeto to tons of dark green) and then aminos( brighter darker colors on pale acros).
In the last couple years, gfo ( no more phos. issues) and an auto topoff (improved sps vigor)
Noticed great improvement with each. All changes made 3-4 months apart at least

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hold Alk study at 8.5DKH via Dosing and small biweekly water changes.
Dosing aminos and feeding a variety of foods
Just overall understanding what to look for and watch your corals, they will tell you the whole story!!!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Added an Algae Turf scrubber and removed the skimmer, and added both PNS Probio and YellowSNO. things started improving drastically that my tank is almost on autopilot (minus me manually removing the hair algae from the scrubber)
how did you go about to adding the probio/yellowsno. just daily dosing? what were the noticeable improvements?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back