Opex - (Work in Progress) Aquarium Controller

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread highlights my development of Opex (name pending).

So I know there is already reef-pi and @Ranjib and team is doing some some great work on that, so I am by no means looking to compete with the amazing work they have done (as I have already learned quite a bit reading through that thread), but rather document my progression in the development of my own controller.

The reason I am doing this project is to learn some new technologies (node, react, electronics), get myself more engaged in my tank, and finally have a reason to work on a project that I have a reason to see through outside of work. I am also excited to be able to share my progress and work with like minded individuals who are passionate about reef keeping even though most of you are definitely better at it than me ;)

My controller to date was originally setup just to handle the essentials of a reef tank: ATO, Temperature readings, manual parameter tracking and web video. It's been that way for close to a year but I figure now is a good time to expand upon that idea and really bring to life a lot of what I have been thinking about over the last year or two.

The controller uses raspberry pi as the master controller with 1 to many arduino boards as slaves to control other modules within the system. I am designing the system to the best of my ability to house multiple tanks and be extremely flexible with modules to add and remove. But the idea of me posting here to to give me a reason to work towards more formal MVPs (minimum viable product) as well as work towards specific features others or myself want to see.

My original version all data was synced to the cloud but right now I am in the process of completing converting it to both a standalone controller as well as a cloud based controller to do some basic tasks and monitoring.

This project is still very much in development and not yet ready to consume but hopefully that changes soon with the first iteration being converted hopefully soon.

So far I have created two different power bars, 1 (4 outlets) which is specifically tied to my ATO and independent of my PI and another (8 outlets) I just completed that is controlled via bluetooth low energy from the PI. Also, temperature monitoring and salinity monitoring. I am currently in the process of tying the web piece of the controller into it all.

opex-ipad.PNG

Like I said this is VERY much still a work in progress so bare with me. Any words of encouragement also will help me along my journey.

Github: https://github.com/bhcmoney/opex

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :) . Would love to see the arduino/Pi interfacing. Keep us posted, and let us know if you need any help
Thanks appreciate the offer! Definitely would not mind sharing notes if we every end up working on a similar item.

The bluetooth communication via serial was pretty basic much like if you were to connect it via wire with SPI. But it became a bit more tricky when I decided I wanted to create a custom GATT Service to use for the communication instead of the UART Service provided.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread highlights my development of Opex (name pending).

So I know there is already reef-pi and @Ranjib and team is doing some some great work on that, so I am by no means looking to compete with the amazing work they have done (as I have already learned quite a bit reading through that thread), but rather document my progression in the development of my own controller.

The reason I am doing this project is to learn some new technologies (node, react, electronics), get myself more engaged in my tank, and finally have a reason to work on a project that I have a reason to see through outside of work. I am also excited to be able to share my progress and work with like minded individuals who are passionate about reef keeping even though most of you are definitely better at it than me ;)

My controller to date was originally setup just to handle the essentials of a reef tank: ATO, Temperature readings, manual parameter tracking and web video. It's been that way for close to a year but I figure now is a good time to expand upon that idea and really bring to life a lot of what I have been thinking about over the last year or two.

The controller uses raspberry pi as the master controller with 1 to many arduino boards as slaves to control other modules within the system. I am designing the system to the best of my ability to house multiple tanks and be extremely flexible with modules to add and remove. But the idea of me posting here to to give me a reason to work towards more formal MVPs (minimum viable product) as well as work towards specific features others or myself want to see.

My original version all data was synced to the cloud but right now I am in the process of completing converting it to both a standalone controller as well as a cloud based controller to do some basic tasks and monitoring.

This project is still very much in development and not yet ready to consume but hopefully that changes soon with the first iteration being converted hopefully soon.

So far I have created two different power bars, 1 (4 outlets) which is specifically tied to my ATO and independent of my PI and another (8 outlets) I just completed that is controlled via bluetooth low energy from the PI. Also, temperature monitoring and salinity monitoring. I am currently in the process of tying the web piece of the controller into it all.

opex-ipad.PNG

Like I said this is VERY much still a work in progress so bare with me. Any words of encouragement also will help me along my journey.

Github: https://github.com/bhcmoney/opex

Keep going, I would.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to see this kind of innovation, but you'll want to change the name. Neptune would surely pursue for trademark infringement. Look up the Wawa case against Dawa. A very similar name competing for the same market makes for a solid case. I suggest ReefConnect as a name. If you choose that name, I demand that you pay royalties in the amount of a donation that you can afford to a charity of your choice. :)

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Web view looks awesome!¡! I’m a big fan of both the Pi and the Arduino. I have both boards. The Arduino is impressive because it handles the same sensor hardware that the Pi does for basic prototyping and then final project is refined. All this will just keep getting better and better as more people with different ideas come to fruition. Very cool.

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to see this kind of innovation, but you'll want to change the name. Neptune would surely pursue for trademark infringement. Look up the Wawa case against Dawa. A very similar name competing for the same market makes for a solid case. I suggest ReefConnect as a name. If you choose that name, I demand that you pay royalties in the amount of a donation that you can afford to a charity of your choice. :)
Ya, originally did this just for myself so I just used a play on it; but if I am opening it up to others I should rename it. Let the brainstorming commence.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment are you using for video?

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment are you using for video?
Right now as I develop I'm just using the pi video camera with a u4lv server but at one point I actually had my dslr hooked up and live streaming.

Currently it's just sitting on the side of the tank but looking at moving it eventually. And setting up an easy system to integrate other devices

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first arduino. I am going to mess around with reading pH and timing my lights.

I will definitely follow along for ideas.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question: Where do you get your temperature probe? All of them I can find are stainless steel.

BlakeFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bluetooth power strip is a cool idea. Are you still in the process of building it?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back