Overflow plumbing- did I do it ok?

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3169CAF6-3B3B-4AFF-B0D1-3261583E81F0.jpeg
0E243DDA-44A1-4975-9FBF-1DBDC2F5A48A.jpeg

This is a 90 gallon corner flo I’ve never done plumbing and I’ve never had a salt tank, I’m tanking this slowwwwly to save money and headache:

I have plastic hose clamps coming to replace the metal ASAP, most of this isn’t glued-just pieces that won’t need to be changed.
Before I continue, do y’all have any suggestions for me?

I’ve been told I need a gate valve instead of a ball valve, is that true even with a lowish flow like a 90? What added purpose does it serve?
Thanks in advance!

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to wish you didn’t use that valve in a year. They aren’t designed for the mineral build-up that reef tanks get and will lock up. Cepex valves are much, much better. Bulk reef supply carries them.
As far as the metal clamps go, metal ones work a lot better but can rust. I personally use a combination of both plastic and metal. Metal on areas that don’t come into contact with water and I want to be sure are tight, plastic in areas either constantly wet or likely to get splashed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ridgeburyreefer

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to wish you didn’t use that valve in a year. They aren’t designed for the mineral build-up that reef tanks get and will lock up. Cepex valves are much, much better
I guess I should get on one of those then haha, I don’t feel like dealing w a lock up!

OP
OP
ridgeburyreefer

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that I had a constant gurgle from the intake, and was able to solve it by using a gate valve on the return pump, I believe the pump that came w the tank (it’s used) was too strong for what is needed, it’s been dialed back and the gurgle is gone.
I have an additional gate valve on order to replace the ball valve

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to rain on your parade but now's the time, before you have a wet floor - unless I'm seeing it wrong in your pic.
I'd suggest you either find a way to add a high float switch on the return pump to turn it off when the overflow box level gets too high, or run your return pipes 'over the top' and use the second bulkhead as an emergency overflow - look at Herbie plumbing.

OP
OP
ridgeburyreefer

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree about now being the time, unfortunately have to wait until the valve is in possession to do it lol

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I 100% agree youre going to want to use gate valves over regular ball valves

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back