Oversizing a Stand

Sub-Z3ro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So normally a stand is built to mirror the rim of the tank. I plan on upgrading later on and I know the size I want to upgrade to. Right now I am in the process of setting up a 40B (36X18) but my end goal will be a 80gal deep blue rimless (48X24). I am buying most of the equipment with the 80 in mind and I want to do so with the stand as well.
My question is using steel or wood (I really want a metal stand) what are some designs the will ensure I can go from one tank to the next without much issue. I am fine with having a 6in lip around the 40B.
Another reason for the larger stand is to fit my overkill sump underneath. Trigger System Emerald 39

Thanks for any info.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the 80/20 and you can always make adjustment later, all you are really looking for is to have the corners supported or in my case if have the weight distributed of the top of a granite top and the top is supported in the center and corners.

OP
OP
Sub-Z3ro

Sub-Z3ro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will def look into that.
I am really shooting for more space underneath but with the 80/20 seems like I may be able to get a little more creative with the design.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back