Oysters.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, oysters aren’t clams, but I didn’t know where to put this thread hahaha but has anyone kept Oysters in their tank? Like Eastern Oysters? I’d think they’d be a good source of filtration? You’d probably have to keep small quantity though. I wanted to try and get a small clump of live oysters off my diver if possible

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my experience. Not really oysters, but i have had 3 mussels in my tank at the same time and 2 are still alive today about a year later. Someone on ebay i bought frags off of used them as plugs LOL. I now too use it as a plug and move it around and let zoas spread this way :p. I can get some pictures, but it's something people don't normally ask for haha.

Live aquaria sells them and has them under a difficult rating. So it shouldnt be that hard if you keep it fed.(at least this specific breed sold here, i don't know about your kind)

Live aquaria link

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my experience. Not really oysters, but i have had 3 mussels in my tank at the same time and 2 are still alive today about a year later. Someone on ebay i bought frags off of used them as plugs LOL. I now too use it as a plug and move it around and let zoas spread this way :p. I can get some pictures, but it's something people don't normally ask for haha.

Live aquaria sells them and has them under a difficult rating. So it shouldnt be that hard if you keep it fed.(at least this specific breed sold here, i don't know about your kind)

Live aquaria link
I’D LOVE PICTURES!!! Yeah I want some Eastern Oysters and those are thornies #’murica I might try mussels!!!

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’D LOVE PICTURES!!! Yeah I want some Eastern Oysters and those are thornies #’murica I might try mussels!!!
Oh okay I dont know too much about these guys as I didn't get mine on purpose lol.
I run a softie/Lps tank so my water isn't sps clean so that may help with keeping them alive. Here are a few quick pics, had to zoom in as they aren't very big.

20200714_155947.jpg
20200714_160157.jpg
20200714_160144.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I dont know too much about these guys as I didn't get mine on purpose lol.
I run a softie/Lps tank so my water isn't sps clean so that may help with keeping them alive. Here are a few quick pics, had to zoom in as they aren't very big.

20200714_155947.jpg
20200714_160157.jpg
20200714_160144.jpg
That is so cool though! Mines also mainly softies with some monti

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool though! Mines also mainly softies with some monti

haha im glad someone likes them,i think these came out of florida, i forget the exact seller i got these from, but it is possible to do and keep them alive. Only one died, and my clean up crew had a nice meal. If you do the oyster i would just try feeding it a mixture of what you feed your fish/coral and phytoplankton and just target feed it. You'd also grow a lot of copepods(because the phytoplankton ) this way encase you ever wanted to add a dragonet.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all that is not a oyster in your photo but a mussel that grows on rocks the last and grow much better.I have had some in my sump about 2 yrs and they have grown from 1.5 cm to about 8 cm

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all that is not a oyster in your photo but a mussel that grows on rocks the last and grow much better.I have had some in my sump about 2 yrs and they have grown from 1.5 cm to about 8 cm
Their post said “Not really oysters, but three mussels.”

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallon 40 gall0n sump+10 gallon fuge with about 20 mussels the last time I counted.
So I should probably be able to fit about seven to eight. Dang I really want oysters but I’m not sure if they’ll stay... I just have a HOB filter and HOB skimmer so I was thinking I have more stuff in the water than other tanks which may mean it can support more filter feeders but I’m not sure. I’m gonna set up another tank of oysters and try and feed them skimmate and see what happens.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oysters (or mussels) filter feed on planktonic algae. I do not believe skimmate will be beneficial to them. They will live for awhile in our tanks then starve to death. But, they are filtering machines while they are alive.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oysters (or mussels) filter feed on planktonic algae. I do not believe skimmate will be beneficial to them. They will live for awhile in our tanks then starve to death. But, they are filtering machines while they are alive.
I’ve heard they feed on that, crustacean larvae, algae, diatoms, detritus, et cetera. Idk, but I’ll try it with a few and see what happens.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your oysters? I’ve had a couple mussels for 4 years and they’re still going. I wanted to add more but would really love oysters

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back