Pair of yellow tangs?

TSM Aquatics

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m working on a 200 gallon peninsula and have an existing 4-5 inch blue tang in my existing tank with other community fish that will move to the new tank. I anticipate finishing the build in 2-3 months. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are getting two Biota yellow tangs now into my quarantine so they get a chance to get some size on them prior to going into the display. Is two yellow tangs a mistake? Do I need to keep solo or only add a trio? I don’t know if I want to spring for 3 with the current costs.

I’m planning to add two more tang to finish out the tank down the road: gold rim and bristle tooth or kole.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m working on a 200 gallon peninsula and have an existing 4-5 inch blue tang in my existing tank with other community fish that will move to the new tank. I anticipate finishing the build in 2-3 months. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are getting two Biota yellow tangs now into my quarantine so they get a chance to get some size on them prior to going into the display. Is two yellow tangs a mistake? Do I need to keep solo or only add a trio? I don’t know if I want to spring for 3 with the current costs.

I’m planning to add two more tang to finish out the tank down the road: gold rim and bristle tooth or kole.
Always keep tangs in odd numbers. . . 1-3-5 and so forth as there will be a war with two only

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One more question, would you consider a blue or bristletooth in part of counting up to odd numbers or only if part of the same genus?
Same genus however, any that have similar color and/or shape can pose an issue

RAP

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

If I was you I would wait until you could get all the Tangs you want at the same time; this is the best possible setup for success. I would also try to avoid getting two tangs from the same family.

TSM Aquatics

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 272 71.2%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 41 10.7%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 36 9.4%