Pair of yellow tangs?

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2020
Messages
96
Reaction score
18
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on a 200 gallon peninsula and have an existing 4-5 inch blue tang in my existing tank with other community fish that will move to the new tank. I anticipate finishing the build in 2-3 months. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are getting two Biota yellow tangs now into my quarantine so they get a chance to get some size on them prior to going into the display. Is two yellow tangs a mistake? Do I need to keep solo or only add a trio? I don’t know if I want to spring for 3 with the current costs.

I’m planning to add two more tang to finish out the tank down the road: gold rim and bristle tooth or kole.
 
I’m working on a 200 gallon peninsula and have an existing 4-5 inch blue tang in my existing tank with other community fish that will move to the new tank. I anticipate finishing the build in 2-3 months. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are getting two Biota yellow tangs now into my quarantine so they get a chance to get some size on them prior to going into the display. Is two yellow tangs a mistake? Do I need to keep solo or only add a trio? I don’t know if I want to spring for 3 with the current costs.

I’m planning to add two more tang to finish out the tank down the road: gold rim and bristle tooth or kole.
Always keep tangs in odd numbers. . . 1-3-5 and so forth as there will be a war with two only
 
Always keep tangs in odd numbers. . . 1-3-5 and so forth as there will be a war with two only
One more question, would you consider a blue or bristletooth in part of counting up to odd numbers or only if part of the same genus?
 
One more question, would you consider a blue or bristletooth in part of counting up to odd numbers or only if part of the same genus?
Same genus however, any that have similar color and/or shape can pose an issue
 
Same genus however, any that have similar color and/or shape can pose an issue
Thank you! I’ll probably go with 1 and try to time it with a bristletooth and gold rim. I appreciate your help.
 
I’m working on a 200 gallon peninsula and have an existing 4-5 inch blue tang in my existing tank with other community fish that will move to the new tank. I anticipate finishing the build in 2-3 months. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are getting two Biota yellow tangs now into my quarantine so they get a chance to get some size on them prior to going into the display. Is two yellow tangs a mistake? Do I need to keep solo or only add a trio? I don’t know if I want to spring for 3 with the current costs.

I’m planning to add two more tang to finish out the tank down the road: gold rim and bristle tooth or kole.
If I was you I would wait until you could get all the Tangs you want at the same time; this is the best possible setup for success. I would also try to avoid getting two tangs from the same family.
 
If you have trouble with them try a mirror in the tank it will through them for a loop.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new