PayPal Disputes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is an option that none of us ever want to deal with. Whether we are the buyer or the seller, it can be a tough situation.

I recently had a bad experience with a purchase from a seller on this site, where the coral arrived DOA. Essentially I was told good luck dealing with PayPal by the seller.

I filed the PayPal claim and went back and forth with them submitting pictures of the coral and screenshots of the seller's communication. Eventually they did not support my claim and requested a third party verification with 'official letterhead and contact information'.

The coral was purchased over a month ago and since has melted away to nothing. I have no LFS to show the pictures and ask for a letter.

I am interested in how other buyers and sellers have dealt with these PayPal issues, and past experiences. Also any advice on how I may proceed. I look forward to your responses!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience, Paypal overwhelmingly favors the buyer over the seller. However, I have never had to use their disputes for livestock, so it may be different in that area.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seller is a member here, then you should post a feedback thread in the feedback forum.
That has been done, however, there can be no outside comments. This thread is more for general discussion on other options and ways to proceed.
In my experience, Paypal overwhelmingly favors the buyer over the seller. However, I have never had to use their disputes for livestock, so it may be different in that area.
That is what I have heard. I have plenty of pictures from before and after shipment with time stamps as proof, but it got me nowhere.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of coral I think we are pretty much SOL. PayPal seems to care about whether you got it and if they sent what they said they would. They don't seem to understand that what we are getting dies and becomes useless. When I won my dispute they made me send the deal coral back to get the refund.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of coral I think we are pretty much SOL. PayPal seems to care about whether you got it and if they sent what they said they would. They don't seem to understand that what we are getting dies and becomes useless. When I won my dispute they made me send the deal coral back to get the refund.
Yes, seems it's similar to insurance on any package where you have to 'prove' the value. I wish there was a LFS near me.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was it and was there a guarantee of live delivery?
Mine was $555. The seller stated "The weather was perfect and the coral would arrive fine. It's all good." Which I considered a guarantee. Along with more similar statements after I realized he shipped it the cheapest route. Upon receipt of the DOA pictures I sent, his response was "I wanna ------ throw up". I won't post the real word.

I did learn that I will now always note the agreed shipping method in PayPal notes from now on. I've only ever sent them Priority Overnight, because that's the best.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seller is a member here, then you should post a feedback thread in the feedback forum.

Not enough people leave feedback, and even when they do I think most people don't take the time to check it. Goes for me to. I bought a pump from you that worked great but never gave you any feedback. I asked about making feedback more view able but never heard anything back from the mods.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/incorporating-feedback.333035/

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it DOA upon opening of the box or after it went in your tank after acclimation? Let me play the devil's advocate here and say in this hobby we are shipping live creatures, so if the package arrived packed well and within the overnight requirement in perfect weather and before shipping it was good then could tank parameters have something to do with it being "melted away"?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it DOA upon opening of the box or after it went in your tank after acclimation? Let me play the devil's advocate here and say in this hobby we are shipping live creatures, so if the package arrived packed well and within the overnight requirement in perfect weather and before shipping it was good then could tank parameters have something to do with it being "melted away"?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-experience-with-poorish-idol.329499/#post-4162862

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I feel pretty taken by it, however, I don't mean for this to be a bashing thread in any way. Just looking to hear others experiences and advice on the subject. I think a more viewable feedback system would be neat, and help buyers like @paphater mentioned.

Also perhaps requiring sellers to list the shipping method that will be used. Or at least confirming with the buyer before sending them a tracking number for snail mail. Which I consider 2 day when it comes to coral.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That has been done, however, there can be no outside comments.

You can keep a eye on the guy and post the link to the feedback you left him if he starts other for sale threads.

It was what I had to do on my last bad deal here concerning another member.
It took months but I did get a refund.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think a more viewable feedback system would be neat, and help buyers

The feedback score use to be visible.
Need to be right back under the persons name viewable on every post.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an aside. I would be very cautious about sending $550 to some one who only has 4 post in as many years. Especially if half of them were "For Sale" threads.
I will from now on. That's for sure

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was $555. The seller stated "The weather was perfect and the coral would arrive fine. It's all good." Which I considered a guarantee. Along with more similar statements after I realized he shipped it the cheapest route. Upon receipt of the DOA pictures I sent, his response was "I wanna ------ throw up". I won't post the real word.

I did learn that I will now always note the agreed shipping method in PayPal notes from now on. I've only ever sent them Priority Overnight, because that's the best.

It is the seller's responsibility to get the shipment to you alive which is also why insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. I am actually surprised Paypal backed him on this. Did you pay with a credit card via paypal that you could dispute with them? It's too bad for the loss sellers like this give all sellers a bad name. This site should ban him.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back