Pencil Wrasse sleep schedule

dnledman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 week ago I got a pencil wrasse, so far, so good, except it is always asleep in the sand bed before dinner. I have my pumps set up to slow down at 7pm and literally everyday at 6-6:30 it is in the sand bed.

light cycle starts at 11am, lights aren’t on fully till 1pm, lights start to cycle off at 9pm.

anyone know of a way to get this guy to stay up later? I can’t change the pump times cause it is when i get off work.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so but I will tell you he could very well change his schedule since only had one week. my leopard wrasse was always to bed early for awhile but now getting to be a night owl but still up early. Lol. Give it more time still acclimating.

OP
OP
dnledman

dnledman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is 7:42 and someone is still up! Just had to give it some time. Thank you both

A49F4199-B277-48EF-93E7-850BB3AB471D.jpeg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just takes time. Most of our fish come from half a world away. So depending on the fish type ... and how long they've been on this side of the world in the retail chain ... their body clocks may be 12 or so hours off. IME, wrasses in particular ... especially sand-sleeping wrasses ... take a few extra days/weeks to adjust.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish from the other side of the world is hard to establish into the sleep schedule that we have, especially ones from Africa and Australia, I’ve never had fish harder to keep away than them.
My Radiant and Blue star leopard were the same when I first got them then a week or two later and they were up and out for longer. Both came out of the same bed the next day after introduction which I enjoyed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back