perc and occy in one tank

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Howdy!

The tank is nano 15gallon fluval. All cycled. When I first got them, I did not know what species they were. As I have researched I found that more orange in the eyes is a perc and more black is an occy. I am pretty sure the larger clown is occy, but the smaller one (juvenile) has more orange in the eyes. Can eye colors change as a clownfish matures? Looking at it now, the smaller seems to be a perc.

The problem is that the bigger one nips on the smaller one, constantly bullying. The smaller one is edged out in the corner of the tank breathing heavily. The smaller one twitches and does the submission dance, but they would never pair. To resolve this problem, I qtd the bully three times. Right after the qt for a few days, eveything seemed fine. But feeding triggers the bully’s aggression and this issue continues the rest of the time until I qt her back. Are perc and occelaris never meant to keep in the same tank?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percs and occys can definitely be kept together and hybridize. To be honest it sounds like it's just typical mating behavior that occurs whether it's the same species of clownfish or not (or even whether the species is inherently more aggressive or placid).

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percs and occys can definitely be kept together and hybridize. To be honest it sounds like it's just typical mating behavior that occurs whether it's the same species of clownfish or not (or even whether the species is inherently more aggressive or placid).
This mating behavior has continued till now. It has been about 3months since I set up this tank Is this usual?

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 occy clowns that came from a tank break down, they snuck out of their acclimation box and now swim as a 4some with my frag tanks Picasso percs. Really cute actually
Man I wish my clowns were friendly as yours. This hobby is for spacing out watching the tank in peace, but all I see is my large clown bullying. SAD

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish my clowns were friendly as yours. This hobby is for spacing out watching the tank in peace, but all I see is my large clown bullying. SAD
When I had a 29g tank I had read rearranging the rockwork can help, I did so and it did work for me. May be worth a shot. Add something or change the landscape, put em back on even ground

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video.

Looks like normal clown behavior to me. She will eventually accept him, and even though she will still dominate him, the aggression should subside.

I honestly see nothing in the video to be alarmed about. She's not even being that mean, and I saw no nipping in the video.

If you think thats bad aggression, that aint nothing.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video.

Looks like normal clown behavior to me. She will eventually accept him, and even though she will still dominate him, the aggression should subside.

I honestly see nothing in the video to be alarmed about. She's not even being that mean, and I saw no nipping in the video.

If you think thats bad aggression, that aint nothing.
True, I have a mean a** clown in my torch nano, she bites me constantly, to the point that she will hold on even when I pull my hand out and she’s out of the water flailing

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I have a male lightning maroon, and a female osc. The maroon is mean as heck! Bites me no matter where I put my hand in the tank, and downright bullies the carp out of my osc.

I knew they would never pair up, but figured the male and female would at least curb some of the aggression. Nope, my female osc even though she stands her ground, has been relegated to the back corner of the tank. If she comes out of the corner, the maroon kicks the snot out of her.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back