Peroxide on q-tip in display

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! I searched but couldn’t find a direct answer, does anyone see a problem with soaking a Q-tip in hydrogen peroxide and brushing a zoa colony attached to a rock inside the display to kill off some hair algae growing around it?
I’d take the whole rock out and dip it but I have a really nice Duncan attached to the rock as well that I don’t really want to disturb. One of my first corals and it’s performing very nicely.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't speak to the effectiveness of this, but if enough of the peroxide is still on the qtip once it gets to the desired location it should show some results. You might end up wasting more peroxide and adding that to your water. Just be cautious not to exceed what your tank can handle in terms of peroxide.

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm, I don’t know what my tank can handle in terms of peroxide volume. It’s small so I can’t imagine much…
Thank you, you gave me an idea…I can lift the rock to where the zoas are exposed out of the water and the Duncan is still in it, rub the qtip, and place it back.
I’m thinking that could work!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Water Pick or someone else make an electric toothbrush brush that also squirts water through the middle. Maybe this could work using H2O2?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm, I don’t know what my tank can handle in terms of peroxide volume. It’s small so I can’t imagine much…
Thank you, you gave me an idea…I can lift the rock to where the zoas are exposed out of the water and the Duncan is still in it, rub the qtip, and place it back.
I’m thinking that could work!
I would do this.

I pull rocks fairly regularly to scrape off unwanted stuff (Bubble algae, vermetid snails, Etc..). The corals do fine if they’re not out for extended periods and everything I scrape off goes into a bowl and I’m not trying to siphon it out of the tank.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggested precaution, be very careful around your Duncan with peroxide. I lost 3 of 4 heads on my Duncan after doing a peroxide dip (3% diluted with tank water per posted instructions) to remove GHA.

Not sure if it’s a Duncan thing or just my Duncan but either way proceed with caution.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back