Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first looked at that pic of the digi, I thought the rock flower nems tentacles were actually polyps from the digi and I was crazy confused hahahaha

Things are looking great Perry!!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first looked at that pic of the digi, I thought the rock flower nems tentacles were actually polyps from the digi and I was crazy confused hahahaha

Things are looking great Perry!!
Ultra kick butt fire here,lol. Good spot mate!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox Flame Sunday Pic. I cannot get enough of this acro!!!

20200913_110354.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@UFreefer putting a nice pack together for a killer deal! Thanks Phil :)
1. Granulosa
2. BC Backdraft
3. RR Red Devil Nasuta
4. Snipersps Bubblegum Milli
5. ASD Rainbow Milli
6. UFREEFER SnowD

Looking forward to expanding the collection, pretty much decided to pull all non sps and start a separate tank. More to come :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I see visual signs of growth, at the base encrusting, and at the tips, and colors on point, I have not put even 1ml of alk into the tank. This has been since the acros have been in the tank, so 2 months or so. I measure alk every Sunday, was every couple days, but it is sitting at 8.0dkh, and tests exactly the same, every week. I do see calcium and mag moving, but only test every 2 weeks, and make manual dose adjustments.
I thought I remember @jda Doug, mentioning in another post, something about crushed coral and it's ability to release minerals, or something like that. Either way, the reef side of the tank is built up to 6" using crushed coral. It fades to 1.5" on right side with argonite and crushed coral mixed. No doubt something is releasing alk, and this no budge on alk is yielding crazy stability. Test kit is Salifert. I by no means am complaining, and not really worried either, as the corals look amazing :) I know at some point the corals will out consume that which is leaching, so that's why I test, every Sunday, and like the weeks before, I tested 8.0dkh.
I do use a CO2 Scrubber and am pretty sure I could use a media swap over, but have been lazy in ordering, not enough on hand for a swap out. I also light mangroves 14 hours, opposite of reef lighting schedule. I am hesitant to even worry, as my eyes are happy with results. Also, I have no idea about nutrients, at all. Last time I tested, a month or longer ago, yielded .12 PO4 and 25ppm NO3. Again, I see no need for managing, as my corals are nicely colored.
Other than me tagging Doug, thanks BTW, anyone else have a similar experience?
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice place to be! :)

Thanks najer!
Going to get some pics later on under full spectrum. I am at a place where I just keep consistent with supplements and fish feedings, I try to feed at the same time everyday. Temperatures is very consistent as well, 77.8 degrees at lowest, and 79 degrees at peak, AC always at 75. I have finally realized how chasing numbers has been more negative than positive, at least for me :)
Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really weird that you see Ca changing but not alk. I've run barebottom for years now though and love the Salifert kits so who am I to judge.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really weird that you see Ca changing but not alk. I've run barebottom for years now though and love the Salifert kits so who am I to judge.

Yes my friend, but sort of makes sense, given crushed coral could be fluidized in a reactor as media, so could it be providing a natural buffer? Not sure, but since install of CC bed, I did see uptake, without any sps. Now, it just stays, like a CARX is in play, but not. I posted coral pics to show progress in growth and color. That said, the corals color is better and better, but definitely signs of growth, so definitely uptake of minerals occurring. Hopefully I can get Doug to stop in :) Either way, at some point, by adding more acros, and others continuing growth, buffering will eventually be necessary, but for now, no harm as I see it.
Cheers buddy!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the 90's some of us used deep sand beds with aragonite, which would dissolve in the deeper, lower pH area and release trace minerals, alk, etc. But I don't think it would supply enough for a stick garden, but did help maintain certain elements. We also dissolved aragonite powder as a buffer too, but I forget what it was called?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90's some of us used deep sand beds with aragonite, which would dissolve in the deeper, lower pH area and release trace minerals, alk, etc. But I don't think it would supply enough for a stick garden, but did help maintain certain elements. We also dissolved aragonite powder as a buffer too, but I forget what it was called?
Hey there,
Thanks for the valuable input, and totally beginning to feel that something is fueling alk. Definitely not a stick garden, yet, lol... Only 12 acros and 2 montis, all growing, and colorful. I should mention that coraline algae too is almost unstoppable, and almost tired of keeping back glass clean. So, most definitely something is releasing, so your input sort of affirms this suspicion :) I have never really encountered this, but never used this deep of crushed coral bed. Will test later today and post. Scratching my head to a degree, and in disbelief at what I see happening in the tank. In a good way :)
Cheers

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tuxedo urchins do a stellar job on coralline, but not too good where they would go through it all. I have three of them in my 90g and they do a nice job, but sometimes they take your favorite frags for a ride if they're not locked down.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins do a stellar job on coralline, but not too good where they would go through it all. I have three of them in my 90g and they do a nice job, but sometimes they take your favorite frags for a ride if they're not locked down.

Gotcha, probably staying away from tuxedos for now, lol. I will probably add a longspine to the tank eventually.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I picked up a 20gallon standard to move all non sps out. I also got a deal on some live rock with shrooms all over it, and will place that in the 20 as well. It's a very simple tank, and should be perfect for my shroom addiction, lol. So, that means I am converting the main tank to full board sps... Now that's what I am talking about!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Asterinas took care of my coralline, so I added a harlequin to take care of them. Hopefully I can regain some of my coralline back soon? My CaRx doesn't mind the lack of coralline, it doesn't have to work so hard, but I miss all of the pink and purple on the back wall and rocks.

Back