OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible that the test results were wrong because of operator error. I’m going to do a water change and once that water percolates enough I’ll test for ALK again.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t have to worry about an ALK of 15 anymore…..

IMG_3891.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

I have a couple of small tanks and all but I have to figure out what to do with most of this. At least it was caught in time. All I’d have needed was to cause water damage to the apartment.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure yet what caused it but what I do know is that the bottom glass cracked in two. It took out my Viparspectra lights, and proceeded to drop 90 gallons (probably much less though after all the rock) onto the floor.

Thankfully it was caught fairly quickly and I was able to get buckets under it and all. The floor is pretty clean but there’s still standing water in spots. There’s no sand on the floor either thankfully.

My wife has a 37 gallon tank she’s keeping a robo hamster in and she offered to let me to use it. Hopefully the BTA survives this. I’m not giving up though. I just have to figure out how to proceed from here.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tonight I’ve set up a tote with a circulation pump and heater. The nem, fish, and feather dusters are doing well. I’m going to acclimate my duncans and other corals to the 10 gallon tank, and the big xenia rocks to the 37. We might just make our way out of this.

IMG_3893.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

IMG_3895.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after about 9 hours from when we discovered the leak until I got everything set up in the tote for the night (I just didn’t have the strength to bring all those buckets up the stairs) I am exhausted.

That said, this could have been far worse than it was. I was able to get most of the water in buckets before it hit the floor. The rest I was able to get up but our throw rugs will be going outside tomorrow to dry the rest of the way.

Compared to what I’ve read about what’s happened to others, whose REAL wood floors were ruined, or whose tanks fell over because the “high quality” stands they were on got wet one time too many and collapsed, or whose houses and apartments which were flooded AND caught on fire, I consider myself insanely fortunate that it wasn’t much worse.

A local reefer has offered to buy my wrasse. I don’t know if I should sell it or not. I might never see another for this price on one hand but on another it would be awful cramped in the 37. I know the clowns and damsels will be ok because they survived my 30 gallon cube so they’ll make it in a 37. I just don’t know that the coris wrasse, clowns, damsels, nem and the Hawaiian feather duster (which is twice as big as it was when I got it with an almost 2 inch crown now) can all make it in the 37. I love my animals enough to do whatever they need to the best of my ability, even if it means selling some.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A local reefer has offered to buy my wrasse. I don’t know if I should sell it or not. I might never see another for this price on one hand but on another it would be awful cramped in the 37. I know the clowns and damsels will be ok because they survived my 30 gallon cube so they’ll make it in a 37. I just don’t know that the coris wrasse, clowns, damsels, nem and the Hawaiian feather duster (which is twice as big as it was when I got it with an almost 2 inch crown now) can all make it in the 37. I love my animals enough to do whatever they need to the best of my ability, even if it means selling some.
I'm trying to remember, you said you don't have a Petco nearby? They have Leucoxanthus (half yellow, half pink) frequently around me for $30.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to remember, you said you don't have a Petco nearby? They have Leucoxanthus (half yellow, half pink) frequently around me for $30.

It’s about 70 miles to the only LFSs that carry them regularly. None of the Petcos within 100 miles have saltwater fish anymore.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So….. it cost me a wrasse but I got a pre-drilled 75 gallon tank. I’m heading out to buy some salt now. When we get home the tank will be going inside.

I’m going to see if there are any truly wooden pre-fab stands available but I’ll likely be building my own.

The tank looks brand new. My friend with whom I traded the wrasse, and who’s helped me tremendously, had a friend who sold her the tank she traded to me. We both know where it came from so that is a huge plus. Now I just need bulkheads and new PVC and life will be golden.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So….. it cost me a wrasse but I got a pre-drilled 75 gallon tank. I’m heading out to buy some salt now. When we get home the tank will be going inside.

I’m going to see if there are any truly wooden pre-fab stands available but I’ll likely be building my own.

The tank looks brand new. My friend with whom I traded the wrasse, and who’s helped me tremendously, had a friend who sold her the tank she traded to me. We both know where it came from so that is a huge plus. Now I just need bulkheads and new PVC and life will be golden.
Congratulations!!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I built each one of my stands. They're overbuilt but if you weld or know someone that welds and is willing to help, we used 1 1/4" angle iron and 3/4" square stock. You can make wood panels to hang on it if you prefer the wood look.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!!
Thank you! If I haven’t told you this, you’re one of maybe 10 people I truly look up to as a mentor. Your help and support mean a lot to me.

I built each one of my stands. They're overbuilt but if you weld or know someone that welds and is willing to help, we used 1 1/4" angle iron and 3/4" square stock. You can make wood panels to hang on it if you prefer the wood look.
You’re another great mentor as far as I’m concerned. I appreciate your support and help.

@Goaway, @Lost in the Sauce, @F i s h y, @fishguy242 …. same as above. I trust you all more than most and I’m seriously honored that you actually take the time to read what I post and give me great ideas and advice. Thank you all for that!

Sooo…….

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

And of course the tank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, it’s THAT new even though it’s been lightly used.

I’m about to marathon build a stand.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you! If I haven’t told you this, you’re one of maybe 10 people I truly look up to as a mentor. Your help and support mean a lot to me.

You’re another great mentor as far as I’m concerned. I appreciate your support and help.

@Goaway, @Lost in the Sauce, @F i s h y, @fishguy242 …. same as above. I trust you all more than most and I’m seriously honored that you actually take the time to read what I post and give me great ideas and advice. Thank you all for that!

Sooo…….

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

And of course the tank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, it’s THAT new even though it’s been lightly used.

I’m about to marathon build a stand.
Good luck! The name of the thread has sure been fitting!

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I WAS going to marathon build a stand but that’ll have to wait until tomorrow. I messed up while calculating the pieces I need for the width. Thankfully I only need 4 bucks to fix that. There was another issue but it’s one I can fix with what I already have. I just need four 15” pieces and all will be well.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back