Petco buying Dr. Foster and Smith.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we the public don't know about in dealings with corporate America. A company can be up for grabs not just because it's struggling to make a profit, it could be as simple as they just don't want to be in it anymore. While I doubt petco called them up and said, "hey, you guys want to sell us your company?" but I do believe that f&s made it known in the ears of certain individuals that they would be willing to sell at the right price. This reminds me a little bit of the ecotech marine/AI "merger"

Stop ranting and be rational. Wording IS everything. It stated Petco to ACQUIRE and not buy. You can acquire through agreement without having full control. Click this link to see how much petco had plummed when it did report its earnings. I am not sure how old that info is but it doesn't look good for Petco. You guys have to stop assuming the worst and let it play out.

Makena95GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you right now that PetSmart has been losing money. Theres been talks about merging with PetCo as well. Clearly no time soon though

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop ranting and be rational. Wording IS everything. It stated Petco to ACQUIRE and not buy. You can acquire through agreement without having full control. Click this link to see how much petco had plummed when it did report its earnings. I am not sure how old that info is but it doesn't look good for Petco. You guys have to stop assuming the worst and let it play out.

Not really sure why your taking this "tone" with me, I was just having a civil discussion about this.

But a basic definition of an acquisition in the business world is one company completely taking over another and implementing their own ways into it. So in other words, acquire and buy are basically the same thing. So take that for what it's worth.

And I also don't remember saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing. So I'm also confused as to where your assumptions on my stance on this came from.

Csreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm living a merger/ nightmare in today's corporate America. If the inferior company takes charge, quality suffers. Hopefully, this one is different, but only time will tell. At the same time, another small business will step in an fill the void if the market demands.

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look goods at atleast for the dry supplies, but except for qualities of fish / coral to drop.

jaguars4263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like me going from a reef tank to a county fair goldfish:sad: That sucks:nono:

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that would be really awesome is if you could buy from LA and have it shipped to a local Petco and either avoid the shipping charge or have it be cheaper.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no good coming from this... I would hope they (Petco) would learn better care for animals, but what will happen is everything will be neglected in due time...
I for one might have to boycott this merger due to the safely of livestock

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im predicting that PetCo helps the very strict 180 gallon minimum requirement for Hippo tangs that Live Aquaria previously had. Thanks to PetCo, the minimum requirement is now an EASY-TO-OBTAIN 40 gallons!!

I keeding.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL does anyone remember what Live Aquaria was before it was Live Aquaria? I can tell you it was a great company to deal with back then too... We'll see what becomes of this news.

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco bought out their biggest online competition for pet supplies/livestock. There is two ways this goes. They did it to bring in expertise to improve their company's practices or they acquired to conquer so they can continue providing mediocre at best retail products and livestock. My guess is with their biggest online competitor out of the way they are planning on business as usual and hoping profits just rise on their own because one of holes in their pocket has now been sewn shut.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RHINELANDER — National pet-supply retail chain Petco has entered into an agreement to acquire Drs. Foster & Smith, a Rhinelander-based online pet store founded by three Northwoods veterinarians, Petco announced Wednesday.
Drs. Foster & Smith specializes in pet care and education and is known for its scope of veterinary expertise on prescription medications and products for dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles, horses, pond life and small animals. The company employs 500 people at its Rhinelander operation, said David Hallisey, communications director.
Hallisey said he does not expect the acquisition to affect either company's job numbers.
"It's business as usual for both of us ... for the time being," he said. "The reality for us is that we don't foresee workforce reductions."
Jim Myers, Petco CEO, said in a prepared statement that the acquisition "underscores our commitment to nurturing the complete health and well-being of animals and further allows Petco to meet the diverse and expansive needs of pet parents."
The addition of Drs. Foster & Smith's product line will complement Petco's existing capabilities in pet health to include prescription services, including prescription diets, preventive care and products created by licensed veterinarians, according to a Petco news release.
Drs. Foster & Smith was founded in 1983 as a group of four veterinary clinics. Dr. Race Foster, Dr. Rory Foster and Dr. Marty Smith's animal hospitals in northern Wisconsin were the first in the nation to offer free rabies vaccinations and free spay/neutering services.
In 2003, the company began offering a full-service pharmacy that enables customers to fill prescriptions online and by mail-order. The acquisition includes both Drs. Foster & Smith's prescription services as well as its branded products, including joint care supplements, dog and cat foods, dog beds, cat furniture, horse supplies, equine equipment and other pet care essentials, according to the Petco release.
"At our founding, our intent with Drs. Foster & Smith was to provide pet owners with veterinary advice and quality pet supplies at affordable prices," said Race Foster, co-founder. "We believe Petco shares those same values, and we look forward to building on our original mission."
The acquisition, in which Drs. Foster & Smith is represented by Falls River Group, is expected to be completed by early 2015 and is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals. The terms of the deal will not be disclosed, Hallisey said.

Clicky Clicky for source

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good will come of this. People are acting like Fosters and smith have some secret knowledge that Petco can't acquire. They could have hired people who could run a successful saltwater devision. The truth is they don't care. Probably only 1 in 1000 who walk through their doors would even consider a saltwater tank. It just never made since for them to invest floor space or personnel into it. The best we can hope for is for Petco to allow them to keep the managers over at live aquaria. I would bet they bought them cause they were slaughtering them on cat and dog medications and they could plug that leak.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back