Petco rescue, two tangs

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do whatever you think is best. The donation was for your efforts not a mandate.

Other than the missing tank guy, you said most of your existing equipment. What is still needed?

I'm happy to help as well. You shouldn't need to sell your coral. Is there paypal or venmo? Sorry if it's somewhere in this thread.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have somewhat of an update on the new tank for Baby Dory, Joe at Fish World has still not been able to get ahold of the guy who has it. He said the guy used to stop by at least once a week but he hasn't seen him since everybody took up the generous collection for her. We still have a while to go while she is coming out of hypo and graduating to observation. I can fit a 4ft 120 gallon tank in the spot where my 55 gallon is now, and use most of my existing equipment, if I make it a custom built in and put both blue hippos in it. I can probably make up the difference in cost if I trade in some corals and my maxima clam. I am able to take care of all the labor but I wanted to make sure that everyone who has donated is ok with this before I decide to go this route. @ckalupa @tdlawdo @JBKReef
@Robb1414
@Dolelo96
@Seadoc
And everybody else who has donated supplies and equipment

I have no problem with this. Thank you once again for taking care of the yellow tang and baby Dory. As one working to setup my first reef system, this tread has been encouraging and educating. I hope other new hobbyists see in this what a great community this hobby has.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth @Big G, if it safe to give a methelyne blue bath while using copper? Two of my fish are breathing quite heavily and I'm worried about gill damage from the flukes(treated with one round of fenbendazole so far 2 days ago). There's no ammonia in the tank, I've been dosing biospira a couple times per day, and I just did a 30% water change

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a separate container, should be fine. Don’t put copper in the bath though, just return them to the tank with copper after.
Thank you, I did do the bath last night exactly that way. It was for my female Picasso clown and my neon dottyback. The clown seems to be ok now but still breathing a little fast, the dottyback looked especially bad after the bath so I moved him to a separate tank and dropped the salinity and turned down the heater. I just checked on him and unfortunately he didn't make it through the night.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I did do the bath last night exactly that way. It was for my female Picasso clown and my neon dottyback. The clown seems to be ok now but still breathing a little fast, the dottyback looked especially bad after the bath so I moved him to a separate tank and dropped the salinity and turned down the heater. I just checked on him and unfortunately he didn't make it through the night.

I’m sorry for your loss :( damage from two parasites, and the added stress of using copper (toxin) to try to remove said parasite... it’s an uphill battle. Hang in there!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, with copper comes the increased risk of secondary bacterial infections... since it is an immunosuppressant. So, just keep an eye out for signs of infection. Redness, white patches, white film, brown discolorations, etc.

Some people add kanaplex to copper as a preventative against infection during an active parasite infestation treatment, but I prefer not to suggest prophylactic antibiotics if not necessary.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss my friend :(

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, with copper comes the increased risk of secondary bacterial infections... since it is an immunosuppressant. So, just keep an eye out for signs of infection. Redness, white patches, white film, brown discolorations, etc.

Some people add kanaplex to copper as a preventative against infection during an active parasite infestation treatment, but I prefer not to suggest prophylactic antibiotics if not necessary.
Ugh, I just got home and found I lost another fish that I thought was fine, one of my cardinals. The clown is doing slightly better but she's still breathing a little heavy and acting lethargic. Still no ammonia and I'm running 3 small powerheads and a bubbler. All of the other fish seem fine and I'm not seeing any signs of infection

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I just got home and found I lost another fish that I thought was fine, one of my cardinals. The clown is doing slightly better but she's still breathing a little heavy and acting lethargic. Still no ammonia and I'm running 3 small powerheads and a bubbler. All of the other fish seem fine and I'm not seeing any signs of infection

What’s copper at now? I’m guessing it was lowered when you did the water change, or did you hold it at 1.7?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s copper at now? I’m guessing it was lowered when you did the water change, or did you hold it at 1.7?
I had a little absorption and did drop it a bit because I was worried about it negatively affecting them, it was at 1.54 when I tested last night after the water change

Last edited:

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back