Petco rescue, two tangs

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can make fish yawn and scratch too... it’s basically their way of trying to clear their gills.

Usually, if one fish has flukes (or any other parasite) his tankmates will also. You could dip the tang instead if it would be easier to catch.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can make fish yawn and scratch too... it’s basically their way of trying to clear their gills.

Usually, if one fish has flukes (or any other parasite) his tankmates will also. You could dip the tang instead if it would be easier to catch.
That was my thought but I just wanted to confirm with you. I'll try to catch the Tang, I really hope it's not flukes

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth, I need to figure out what to do here... I was able to catch my scooter blenny and give him a fwd, he has flukes:mad:. I have fenbendazole, I can do hypo, and the dt has already been through 2 rounds of prazi a little over a month ago. The only thing I don't have is enough tanks to put all my fish in and the stuff I need to set them up. Please tell me what I need to do. I have two 5 gallon tanks and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets full of saltwater for the new tank when it arrives. I have too many corals and inverts to consider hypo in my dt so I think I'm stuck with catching everyone. Luckily nobody is showing any major signs of distress at this point

I hope everyone that thinks qt isn't necessary reads this, I'm no longer an anti-vaxxer

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, the worm culture I got from you is alive and kicking! Should be able to harvest in a week or two!
20190512_211406.jpeg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, the worm culture I got from you is alive and kicking! Should be able to harvest in a week or two!
20190512_211406.jpeg
That's great! Just give them a squirt or two of rodi and make they have food and they'll be a never ending food source

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth, I need to figure out what to do here... I was able to catch my scooter blenny and give him a fwd, he has flukes:mad:. I have fenbendazole, I can do hypo, and the dt has already been through 2 rounds of prazi a little over a month ago. The only thing I don't have is enough tanks to put all my fish in and the stuff I need to set them up. Please tell me what I need to do. I have two 5 gallon tanks and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets full of saltwater for the new tank when it arrives. I have too many corals and inverts to consider hypo in my dt so I think I'm stuck with catching everyone. Luckily nobody is showing any major signs of distress at this point

I hope everyone that thinks qt isn't necessary reads this, I'm no longer an anti-vaxxer

What fish do you have? Full list?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have? Full list?
Two tanks connected to a common sump:

32 gallon biocube
Pair of Picasso clowns
Neon dottyback
Blue and orange damsel
Diamondback goby
Scooter blenny
Banggai cardinal

55 gallon
Pair of maroon clowns
Golden head goby
Blue tang
Banggai cardinal
Six line wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tanks connected to a common sump:

32 gallon biocube
Pair of Picasso clowns
Neon dottyback
Blue and orange damsel
Diamondback goby
Scooter blenny
Banggai cardinal

55 gallon
Pair of maroon clowns
Golden head goby
Blue tang
Banggai cardinal
Six line wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

Ok, so do you have any idea when the new tank is coming yet?

What if you turn the new tank into a temporary QT and administer hypo there? Move all of the fish over (maybe minus one pair of clowns, the perc pair could probably go in a 5-gallon instead)

Flukes have a fallow period of 4-weeks, so you would only have to keep them there for that long. Or, if you held them a bit longer could possibly take care of the ich while you are at it... provided the ich does not survive hypo (some strains have been known to be resistant)

Another option would be to treat with hypo first, and then CP after bringing the salinity back to normal range. I would avoid copper though since the hope is to use that tank as a DT.

Would just mean Dory would need to wait quite a while for her permanent home :(

Otherwise, if you could find a other larger tank second-hand that would work too.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so do you have any idea when the new tank is coming yet?

What if you turn the new tank into a temporary QT and administer hypo there? Move all of the fish over (maybe minus one pair of clowns, the perc pair could probably go in a 5-gallon instead)

Flukes have a fallow period of 4-weeks, so you would only have to keep them there for that long. Or, if you held them a bit longer could possibly take care of the ich while you are at it... provided the ich does not survive hypo (some strains have been known to be resistant)

Another option would be to treat with hypo first, and then CP after bringing the salinity back to normal range. I would avoid copper though since the hope is to use that tank as a DT.

Would just mean Dory would need to wait quite a while for her permanent home :(

Otherwise, if you could find a other larger tank second-hand that would work too.
That's a good idea! I'm not sure exactly when the new tank will be available yet, I guess Joe has been having a litte trouble getting in touch with the guy who has it. I might be able to check with him and see if he has an old tank laying around that I could borrow for a while.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back