PHONE COLORMETER FOR TRITATE TESTS

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to program an app for a smartphone color to measure different commercial test kits? I routinely use photoshop to get color readings to compare against the tests color guide. In fact I just found an iOS app called colormeter that will provide live RGB values from the phones camera.

Any ideas on how to improve accuracy, such as using known light source measured through the liquid versus the reflected light normally captured when taking a picture? Would using a complementary colored backdrop and measuring reflected light through the liquid improve accuracy or consistency? I am sure someone has tried this before.

Thanks,

Ricky

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

good luck

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently failing at a similar project. Trying to use RGB color sensors to read the color of a DI cartridge. I keep getting the same numbers out of both cartridges. I suspect I have some reflection issues due to the glossy nature of the container... Hrmm, maybe I should try to hit it off-axis...

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be amazing for us colorblind folks.

Texting a picture to a friend and asking "what color" has its limitations. :oops:

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current plan is basically a 3d-printed object to contain the sensor and the thing being read. Maybe what you need is something similar. Like a box of a known color, maybe white, and you put the vial in a slot, so there is no stray light other than the flashlight of the phone...

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there another thread on here about exactly that, reading the testkit endpoints via phone camera for people that have difficulties with that? Dont have a link to the thread right now but iirc there was a light and a cardboard contraption to prevent interference from outside light.

Edit: Found it, even got to article status:

Last edited:

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Only problem I can see is every phone has different color output and cameras as well. Maybe even issues with “night mode” blue light filtering? Also android has 4 different screen color settings and the galaxy e models have a dumbed down color scale.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquarium note; android app, have a tool that does just that. In phone camera, you select 2 point on the color chart, and 3rd point on the vial to test. It gives you the precise color position between the 2 selected point

Iverson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an app called "Aquarium Note". In it's "Tools" section it has one called "Color". You photograph your sample on the titration scale examples. Then you drag and drop "A", "B", and "C" markers to your photograph. The "B" marker goes on your sample; "A" goes on the lighter titration swatch, and "C" on a swatch that you think is darker. The app tells you which one your sample is closest to. I just saw that Alain Bouchard above also uses that app. (Sorry Alain, I'll go give myself a swirly now.)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back