photon 48 v2 pro settings for Mixed reef

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently picked up a photon 24 and have been messing with the settings(only been reefing for a few months), was curious what others run on theirs. Currently doesn't have corals but will be LPS dominate with some SPS eventually.

light is sitting 10" above a Biocube 32 at the moment. Cant get a par meter since im not near a LFS. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RB Photons for years. The best value in a well made controllablr fixture.

I ran the blues between 70% and 90%, and the whites at 20% to 30%. You can do whatever you want with the red and green, Just remember that red is good for algae, blue is good for coral.

I run a 3 or 4 sunrise, then 4 hours of high midday settings and then a 4 or 5 hour sunset. The hour either side of the midday is still pretty high and that gives the tank a full 6 to maybe 8 hours of enough light for photosynthesis. The rest of sunrise and sunset is just for looks.

Have fun with it. BTW, I own a PAR meter and I get PAR of 100 to 150 at the sand and 200 to 250 at the top of the rocks.

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RB Photons for years. The best value in a well made controllablr fixture.

I ran the blues between 70% and 90%, and the whites at 20% to 30%. You can do whatever you want with the red and green, Just remember that red is good for algae, blue is good for coral.

I run a 3 or 4 sunrise, then 4 hours of high midday settings and then a 4 or 5 hour sunset. The hour either side of the midday is still pretty high and that gives the tank a full 6 to maybe 8 hours of enough light for photosynthesis. The rest of sunrise and sunset is just for looks.

Have fun with it. BTW, I own a PAR meter and I get PAR of 100 to 150 at the sand and 200 to 250 at the top of the rocks.
Ok, thank you. I was just trying to figure out the hours I should run, currently am running a 2 hour sunrise 8 hour midday and 2 hour sunset. But I’ll start tweaking it now

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8 hour midday is fine. Some people run it even longer with no ill effects. But biologists say anything more than about 6 to 8 hours doesn't do much good either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back