Photon V2 / Apex Control Board Help

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help understanding some lighting control options for my tank.

I'm running two 32' Photon V2's on top of my CADE1800 with remotes and have an Apex on the way. I'd like to manage the lights with the Apex, but need to know what degree of control over channels I'll have, and what else I'll need. It looks like there are two options:

Photon to Apex control board
The Apex board seems to offer the ability to control the lights on a limited bases (i.e., not all channels can be individually programmed) which is a problem for some things I want to do.

ReefNexus control board
It seems the Nexus board gives full control of all channels via their app, but there doesn't appear to be anything said about whether or not the lights can also be controlled by the Apex.

Scenario: I'd like to set up 'traditional' time-based lighting schemes (dawn/dusk, full sun) but also have an all-red mode for when introducing or removing fish (since our reef critters don't see that spectrum very well) and a 'moonlight' mode for pod-watching' at night. Obviously, I'd want for those lighting modes to be triggered by the Apex to correspond with pump outputs to dial down the flow at night - i.e. switch to 'dusk' mode for lighting at that time. I presently also have a Hydros Wave Engine and two Maxspect XF350 Gyres for that, I'll eventually be adding a DC controlled return pump.

Question: If I get the Nexus control board, can I use the Nexus app to set up the lighting modes, but then use the Apex to trigger those modes? I don't really need the Apex to set up the lighting schemes, I'm perfectly fine with programming the channels and outputs with another app. But once they're set, being able to switch among them with the Apex is key.

Looking forward to your input on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help understanding some lighting control options for my tank.

I'm running two 32' Photon V2's on top of my CADE1800 with remotes and have an Apex on the way. I'd like to manage the lights with the Apex, but need to know what degree of control over channels I'll have, and what else I'll need. It looks like there are two options:

Photon to Apex control board
The Apex board seems to offer the ability to control the lights on a limited bases (i.e., not all channels can be individually programmed) which is a problem for some things I want to do.

ReefNexus control board
It seems the Nexus board gives full control of all channels via their app, but there doesn't appear to be anything said about whether or not the lights can also be controlled by the Apex.

Scenario: I'd like to set up 'traditional' time-based lighting schemes (dawn/dusk, full sun) but also have an all-red mode for when introducing or removing fish (since our reef critters don't see that spectrum very well) and a 'moonlight' mode for pod-watching' at night. Obviously, I'd want for those lighting modes to be triggered by the Apex to correspond with pump outputs to dial down the flow at night - i.e. switch to 'dusk' mode for lighting at that time. I presently also have a Hydros Wave Engine and two Maxspect XF350 Gyres for that, I'll eventually be adding a DC controlled return pump.

Question: If I get the Nexus control board, can I use the Nexus app to set up the lighting modes, but then use the Apex to trigger those modes? I don't really need the Apex to set up the lighting schemes, I'm perfectly fine with programming the channels and outputs with another app. But once they're set, being able to switch among them with the Apex is key.

Looking forward to your input on this. Thanks in advance!
They are 2 seperate boards unfortunately. It's one or the other.
If you want full control of the red and Moonlighting it sounds like your best bet will be through nexes.
Apex control can only control 4 channels. You would have to either tie the red and the green to another Channel each or tie them together to another vdm Outlet. Doesn't sound like that's the best way to go for you.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex control can only control 4 channels. You would have to either tie the red and the green to another Channel each or tie them together to another vdm Outlet. Doesn't sound like that's the best way to go for you.
My understanding you can add another vdm module to get the needed 2 channels
A third VDM port (2 x VDM channels) is required for independent control of the red and green LEDs.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding you can add another vdm module to get the needed 2 channels

Oh yes, I miss read that. You are correct.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to clarify this because I'm still not clear.
  • To control all 6 channels individually via the APEX, I'd need 2 of the APEX controller boards, and one VDM module for individual control of each of the red and green channels on each panel.
  • To control all 6 channels individually via the Nexus app, I'd need just two of the boards and the software app, but I'd lose integration with the Apex.
Do I have that right?

In either scenario, how many different 'schemes' can be saved in either the Apex or Nexus app? IOW, if I wanted five different light settings (dawn, full sun, dusk, moonlight, all red), is that supported by each option?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to clarify this because I'm still not clear.
  • To control all 6 channels individually via the APEX, I'd need 2 of the APEX controller boards, and one VDM module for individual control of each of the red and green channels on each panel.
  • To control all 6 channels individually via the Nexus app, I'd need just two of the boards and the software app, but I'd lose integration with the Apex.
Do I have that right?

In either scenario, how many different 'schemes' can be saved in either the Apex or Nexus app? IOW, if I wanted five different light settings (dawn, full sun, dusk, moonlight, all red), is that supported by each option?
Looking at the board, it looks like it has 3 ports on it. This would lead me to believe that you would just need 2 vdm modules for your apex and then only a single card per light. You could then use the splitters to have each vdm port control the same channels on both lights.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 2 seperate boards unfortunately. It's one or the other.
If you want full control of the red and Moonlighting it sounds like your best bet will be through nexes.
So, what I'm asking is if I get the Apex board and a VDM module, can I individually control all six channels, or will two of the six always be tied together? Sorry, I'm just having some trouble understanding how the Apex stuff works...

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the board, it looks like it has 3 ports on it. This would lead me to believe that you would just need 2 vdm modules for your apex and then only a single card per light. You could then use the splitters to have each vdm port control the same channels on both lights.

Ugh. So we're talking 2x Apex boards at $200 plus 2x VDM modules at $210 for a total of over $400. Or, just 2x Nexus boards at $230 all in and I have full channel control, but no Apex integration.

Do I finally have it right? LOL

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what I'm asking is if I get the Apex board and a VDM module, can I individually control all six channels, or will two of the six always be tied together? Sorry, I'm just having some trouble understanding how the Apex stuff works...
The vdm module controls 4 channels. In order to control all 6, you would need 2x vdms. 4 channels would be on one vdm and 2 channels would be on the other. Once it is all setup, you would never know any difference on the interface. Channels would be named whatever you wanted and the icons could be out in their own section.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. So we're talking 2x Apex boards at $200 plus 2x VDM modules at $210 for a total of over $400. Or, just 2x Nexus boards at $230 all in and I have full channel control, but no Apex integration.

Do I finally have it right? LOL
Plus the spitters to have the same channel on each light controlled via a single channel on the vdm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back