pico build

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2022
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
1,233
Location
charlottesville VA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to get into the hobby, but I have a limited budget. so I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon tank. Before u say that smaller tanks are more unstable, I know. i like a challenge. I promise I wont rage if it fails. i would like to do a zoa, a peppermint shrimp, and a neon goby. Would that be acceptable in a 2.5 gallon jar tank, like mad hatters reef, look up his pico desktop tank on youtube. would this work?
 
If it's been done before it can be done again. So long as you are familiar with the specific challenges that come with pico reef builds I think you should be able to do it. If you like the challenge this will be a great way to test yourself! Enjoy and I hope it works out well for you!
 
Personally I wouldnt put fish or inverts into that small size tank.. I've seen it before, they just go back and forth between the 2 sides all day long, its so sad to watch.
 
I would start with corals and get used to managing the water quality. After a bit add an invert or two and after a few weeks more add your small goby. Small tanks do require some getting used to and things can go bad fast. The slow start without fish will greatly reduce complexity until you have water change, light scheduling, heating all worked out.
 
i was planning on using a reef breeder pico led, but are there any that u would suggest?
i got the reef breeder suggestion form jeff hesketh over @ saltwater aquarium radio. if you haven't seen that podcast yet u should check it out
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new