##### Picture Entry: BC RAINDROP ON ROSES GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 57ACCF00-46E1-4C93-8B2B-7F5994EAFFBE.jpeg
    57ACCF00-46E1-4C93-8B2B-7F5994EAFFBE.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 106

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours seem to be showing the pink already. That is really nice!

My inexperience would be freaking out as your frag looks bleached. But you obviously know what you're doing and are not freaking out. What are you doing differently? Why is your so much lighter than the others? And why does it look so healthy even though, with what I've read/told, bleached out is bad?
I think I have low nitrates and phosphates which might be the reason why it’s paler lol but I don’t worry about it. I also took the photo during daylight hours. Here’s one with primarily blues

Attachments

• 20180C78-2D44-4611-9248-8756D65CE7A7.jpeg
    20180C78-2D44-4611-9248-8756D65CE7A7.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 75

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have low nitrates and phosphates which might be the reason why it’s paler lol but I don’t worry about it. I also took the photo during daylight hours. Here’s one with primarily blues

Can you share what your parameters are? It'll be a good reference of how low someone has been successful keeping a high end SPS. I'm not chasing numbers but it would give me a good range to stay in.

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share what your parameters are? It'll be a good reference of how low someone has been successful keeping a high end SPS. I'm not chasing numbers but it would give me a good range to stay in.
Sure, these are the numbers I like to stay between

Alk: 7.8-8.8
currently: 8.2

mag: 1400-1500
currently: 1471

cal: 400-500
Currently: 494

temp: 77.5-78.1

ph: low-7.88 high-7.9
(Wish it was higher but prefer not to chase numbers so it is what it is)

nitrate-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago
Phosphate-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago
Nitrite-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, these are the numbers I like to stay between

Alk: 7.8-8.8
currently: 8.2

mag: 1400-1500
currently: 1471

cal: 400-500
Currently: 494

temp: 77.5-78.1

ph: low-7.88 high-7.9
(Wish it was higher but prefer not to chase numbers so it is what it is)

nitrate-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago
Phosphate-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago
Nitrite-haven’t tested since cycled a year ago

Thank you for sharing your ranges. I am within those ranges too. However my nutrients are not stable so I am battling that.

For nutrients, would you say that it would be best to dose daily to keep it within a tight range, or every few days to bring it back to wider range? I know stability is key, but it seems a range you can maintain works as well but how far can nutrients swing without stressing the corals?

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your ranges. I am within those ranges too. However my nutrients are not stable so I am battling that.

For nutrients, would you say that it would be best to dose daily to keep it within a tight range, or every few days to bring it back to wider range? I know stability is key, but it seems a range you can maintain works as well but how far can nutrients swing without stressing the corals?
You can dose to try to keep them stable but there are many factors that affect them: amount of dosage, type of food, amount of food, types of filtration, fish etc.

My main method for nutrient control is by “heavy in and heavy out” meaning feeding a lot and removing a lot of the waste. I like to feed a lot of nori and frozen Mysis shrimp twice a day to help with nutrients and to export the waste I have an oversized skimmer with filter floss which gets replaced once every two days. For you I would suggest to keep an eye out on how much you feed. If your nutrients are high cut back on feedings. If your nutrients are low feed more and possibly get more fish if your tank allows it.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd @BranchingHammer @Reefing102

I have a question about moving the coral. I tried applying Tunze coral gum and broke the disk of from the ledge it was glued to. I applied the coral gum and tried my best to position it like how it was but from pictures it appears it's not exactly in it original position.

In regards to rule #6:
You can remove the coral from the plug and mount it anywhere that you choose. If placed on a disk it can be moved around the tank.

Am I okay?

Before:
PXL_20221117_030139606.jpg

After:
PXL_20221118_020055266.jpg

Some other angles.
PXL_20221118_024330723.jpg
PXL_20221118_024241345.jpg

Last edited:

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting to see if mine improves now I have an AI prime on the tank but I have already lost 2 of the 5 new SPS and my contest frag has all of the tips showing skeleton and STN so I am probably going to be out. :'(
So disappointing so early but I was probably kidding myself to be able to keep this poor little frag going.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting to see if mine improves now I have an AI prime on the tank but I have already lost 2 of the 5 new SPS and my contest frag has all of the tips showing skeleton and STN so I am probably going to be out. :'(
So disappointing so early but I was probably kidding myself to be able to keep this poor little frag going.

It's not over till it's over my friend. Keep it together, listen/see what your tank is trying to tell you, and slowly make modifications.

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not over till it's over my friend. Keep it together, listen/see what your tank is trying to tell you, and slowly make modifications.
I thought once they started showing skeleton it was essentially all over?
I am going to see what I can do I would love to save it if possible but worried it might be too late.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought once they started showing skeleton it was essentially all over?
I am going to see what I can do I would love to save it if possible but worried it might be too late.

I have a few frags in my tank that I pretty much thought are goners. I haven't given up on them until they're gone-gone. If it's got tissue or polyps, don't give up on it.

This one is a night shade acro. It has never done good in my tank and almost died. But it had a little bit of tissue left so I kept it and it has regrown some tissue, turn to this neon green color, and seems to be encrusting again.

PXL_20221118_133423154.jpg

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few frags in my tank that I pretty much thought are goners. I haven't given up on them until they're gone-gone. If it's got tissue or polyps, don't give up on it.

This one is a night shade acro. It has never done good in my tank and almost died. But it had a little bit of tissue left so I kept it and it has regrown some tissue, turn to this neon green color, and seems to be encrusting again.

PXL_20221118_133423154.jpg
That's great. Ok I will keep pushing forward as long as it still has some tissue remaining, its almost every tip of the frag now that has lost tissue.
Will see how it likes the improved lighting from the AI prime.

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on figuring out how to get a better photo. Stealing the partner’s photo gear to try this one. I mounted the frag on the rocks this month. Compared to last month this little guy looks like he’s plumping up but not much vertical growth yet.

@lynn.reef.nerd @Reefing102 @BranchingHammer

Official picture for November 2022.
BC_RainDrop_GrowOut_edit_DSCF0024.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back