##### Picture Entry: BC RAINDROP ON ROSES GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if those that received theirs early on, how's the color coming along? I was part of the first shipments and mine is all brown.

I know it's a competition but wondering what, if anything, I can do. Or, it just needs more time. Strictly going off of polyp extensions it seems happy.

My tank has a high Mag, I just noticed that in today's testing and have stopped dosing until it comes down.

PXL_20221028_222550448.jpg

Screenshot_20221028-165418.png

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if those that received theirs early on, how's the color coming along? I was part of the first shipments and mine is all brown.

I know it's a competition but wondering what, if anything, I can do. Or, it just needs more time. Strictly going off of polyp extensions it seems happy.

My tank has a high Mag, I just noticed that in today's testing and have stopped dosing until it comes down.

Browned out can me too much light, or to high in phosphates in my experience

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Staying pretty steady for me. Maybe paled out a bit from my whiter T5's, but it's looking great!
KIMG1524.JPG

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is starting to get the green base back. It too is starting to encrust. My lighting is Ecotech Gen 5 set to 80%, which should be getting 250-300 par where it is sitting.

ALK: 7.8-8.0
CAL: 426
MAG: 1500
PO4: .05
NO3: 25
Salinity: 1.024

I'll increase my nitrate amount to get it back up a little faster, just don't want to make too many changes too quickly.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AP700 13" above water level and set to 30% power.

Phosphate 0.02
Nitrates 2.0

Aside from browning it seems to be encrusting further.

Do you have a lot of other SPS in the tank?

Light could be causing that problem, but at that height above the water and at a 30% setting, it would be too little light, not too much light. My best guess is that the frag is getting no more than 150 PAR based on PAR numbers from BRS tests on that light and the frag being just below the water surface. The further down, the lower the PAR. Now, this is just a guess. If you have a lot of other Acro's in the tank at the same level with great color, I would rule out light. However, Adam says that his corals get "blasted" with light, so I doubt you are providing too much light.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few acro frags sitting relatively close to it. Their colors are not great either which provoked my inquiry.

I have had my light at 40% power and turned some of the acros white. However, from another thread troubleshooting my Maxima clam, it seems I have too low a nutrient level and may be the reason why my acros turned white vs the light being too high.

What are your thoughts on this? It would benefit the clam if I can increase the light output to reach the sand bed. It has currently found a spot it likes and I hate to move it again.

Would weekly light increase of 1-2% safe? And what would be a good target max?

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd I have to purchase a new ruler, I only have a tape measure at the moment which has chemicals on it I don't want near the tank.
I got the frag Thursday, is tomorrow/Sunday ok for my first 3 days? I did post a photo of the frag immediately after placing in the tank, just not sure if Sunday is too far out or it will be ok?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few acro frags sitting relatively close to it. Their colors are not great either which provoked my inquiry.

I have had my light at 40% power and turned some of the acros white. However, from another thread troubleshooting my Maxima clam, it seems I have too low a nutrient level and may be the reason why my acros turned white vs the light being too high.

What are your thoughts on this? It would benefit the clam if I can increase the light output to reach the sand bed. It has currently found a spot it likes and I hate to move it again.

Would weekly light increase of 1-2% safe? And what would be a good target max?

If the light has an acclimation mode, you could use that to increase the light. The best option would be to find access to a PAR meter and figure out what setting you need to get the light over 250 PAR. Somewhere between 250-450 would definitely work. Then use the acclimation setting to increase the light over 30 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back