Pipefish not eating.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help my new pipefish is in QT and will not eat. I have tried pellets and mysis. The pellets have garlic in them. When I put the food in the tank he just stares at it and looks sorta interested but doesn't eat. What do I do?

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pipefish? They are finicky eaters..They can be tough to get to eat anything but live food

You need to get him pods or live mysis shrimp

Newly hatched brineshrimp or vitamin enriched(gut loaded) brine shimp will work in a pinch

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you weren't prepared for the pipefish and it was an impulse buy... Did you not do any research before buying it? There is really no way to quarantine a pipefish as they don't usually accept large frozen foods such as Mysis and they will never touch pellets.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you weren't prepared for the pipefish and it was an impulse buy... Did you not do any research before buying it? There is really no way to quarantine a pipefish as they don't usually accept large frozen foods such as Mysis and they will never touch pellets.
I am more of a lionfish person.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish need to be in a tank with live pods. If your tank doesn’t already have a thriving pod population, you need to order some ASAP from someplace like Algae Barn or others. The pipefish won’t survive long without eating, and they won’t eat frozen or pellets.
1127F6BC-C82E-4AC1-9006-CC5A08D7998C.jpeg

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some pods, hatch some baby brine shrimp. Used to get the smallest gust shrimp I could also, they loved hunting them. Also, try oyster or fish eggs, they may be too small, mini bloodworms, mosquito larvae, the more variety the better. Used to keep banded pipefish years ago, started with live brine & ghost shrimp, once eating, would eat the frozen foods, hope this helps

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pipefishes will take frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, or other similar small, light frozen foods that stay in the water column, but be prepared with a CUC or siphon to take out whatever sinks to the bottom. However, as others have said the main source of nutrition for pipefish needs to be live food otherwise they will waste away. Keeping up with the live food is definitely extra work but pipefish are really neat to keep. Good luck to your friend!

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we both have a clean up crew we started are tanks at the same time she has a 75 gallon and wants pipefish and seahorses and I want lionfish. There are currently 4 other inhabitants in the tank 2 bangii cardinals and two clowns.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we both have a clean up crew we started are tanks at the same time she has a 75 gallon and wants pipefish and seahorses and I want lionfish. There are currently 4 other inhabitants in the tank 2 bangii cardinals and two clowns.
Sounds like "SHE" needs to do alot more research regarding both pipefish and more importantly seahorses, if this is the situation you both are at currently in, PLEASE PUMP THE BRAKES because she has some studying to do before proceeding!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It totally depends on what kind of pipefish it is. The one pictured above is a dragon face pipe and they will eat pods and new born brine shrimp. Most of the free swimming ones, except the blue stripes need larger food and some will take frozen mysis. Some need live food.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back