Please help me evaluate this system (120 gallons)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said I was never going to upgrade but I saw someone’s 120 gallons tank and fell in love.

So now I’m contemplating the idea of changing my sumpless 75 gallons (getting tired of fiddling with equipment in DT) for a 100-120 gallons DT + sump.

I’m really scared of getting a sump as I’m afraid it’s going to leak or need fixing and I can’t do plumbing, don’t have tools and I am overall weak and don’t have strong hands. I am afraid I wouldn’t have the knowledge to stop a leak in the plumbing if need be and the house would flood…. Maybe that’s just a bad idea in my case, or maybe I’m worrying too much and overthinking this ?

I also never had a tank without a center brace, so this scares me a bit too. Is Euro brace a solid choice ?

Is the sump okay with those chambers ? Should I have less ? More?

Anyways, here is the proposed system. I don’t know anything about any of it so I would really appreciate advice from experienced reefers. These guys can do custom made so I can probably ask for different set-ups. They let you provide drawings too.

I would have them install the whole thing but I need to feel comfortable with maintaining and fixing little quirks if need be.

Thanks !
1694108939605.jpeg

1694109011003.jpeg

1694109029309.jpeg

1694109074469.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look into a larger aio or a complete system like an innovative marine int 150. It will be a more money but you'll have everything you need including a stand which you don't have listed.
I'm not sure how they calculate the plumbing you show above without knowing the stand height.
I have two redsea systems that come with everything needed and they are really easy to assemble. I assume the IM would be just as easy.:thinking-face: I don't recomend larger redsea tanks but supposedly the new ones are much better than they used to be but I have no first hand experience.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how they calculate the plumbing you show above without knowing the stand height.
I forgot to mention but they quoted a stand also so they know the height.

They also quoted me a skimmer and pump that I didn’t mention because those will be part of another thread if need be.

The system is complete, all I need are more rocks and sand that they can probably sell as well.

Maybe look into a larger aio or a complete system like an innovative marine int 150.
I can’t see to find any of those in Canada. Those systems don’t have sumps ?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see to find any of those in Canada. Those systems don’t have sumps
Sorry I didn't see your location. The all in one's do not have a sump but they have a chamber built in for all your filtration and heater etc. Not quite as nice as a sump but better than a regular tank and no plumbing to mess with. Sump would be my choice but I can plumb even if it is a little ugly when I do lol.
If the company your dealing with is reputable it looks like it maybe a good option with the plumbing already being designed. Maybe ask here and see if anyone has any experience with them unless your already confident with them?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ask here and see if anyone has any experience with them unless your already confident with them?
They’re a small local company so I doubt anyone on here knows them.

Once the plumbing is done , how often do you need to play with it ? Is it pretty much « set and forget » ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really once plumbing is done it's pretty much set and forget. Most leaks will occur soon after it's up and running but there's alway a possibility of something happening. A local company would be a positive IMO
They’re 2 hours away so not cheap to come for a visit but yes, it would give me peace of mind.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are pretty easy to setup and once you get them tuned they are not likely to leak or cause issues in my experience. I do have to change the gate valve on my red sea after maintenance as the overflow can get a little louder when the water flow changes, but after using a sump you won’t go back. The above looks like a good price if you trust the company and are confident in their ability to deliver. As others have said there are other options that are a little easier to setup but if they are making the tank/stand/plumbing/sump then I would imagine it will be very easy to do. Enjoy the new setup and I 100% think you will enjoy the clean look and ease of maitenence as well as the extra space.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it that s going to be a job cleaning the front glass due to the construction. I had a tank like that and I HATED it. Good Luck

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it that s going to be a job cleaning the front glass due to the construction. I had a tank like that and I HATED it. Good Luck
Hmm that’s a very good point ! I hadn’t thought of that but yeah, it must a pita to clean the front glass.

I’m going to have to do some research on that. Maybe I’ll ask for a different model.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would based on my experience, REAL pain to access for cleaning, Trust me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back