PLEASE HELP - NASO DYING

Sikorskym14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last two weeks I’ve had two fish go on me, the first was my scopas tang. Looked so weak he was laying down all over the tank so I pulled him and put him in QT, however he eventually passed. Now, about a week or so later I find my blonde naso tang looking a bit weak and swimming a bit funny. I pulled him lastnight and put him in QT with general cure. I’ve attached videos of what he looked like lastnight and what he currently looks like in QT.

I just don’t want this to keep happening with all my fish as this is two in less than two weeks, any ideas? Should I pull my other fish that seem fine? I did notice white stringy poo on both fish so internal parasites seem possible however because of how fast this is affecting them it could be something else, bacterial?

Attachments

• IMG_4849.MOV
    72.7 MB
  • IMG_4854.MOV
    30.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Over the last two weeks I’ve had two fish go on me, the first was my scopas tang. Looked so weak he was laying down all over the tank so I pulled him and put him in QT, however he eventually passed. Now, about a week or so later I find my blonde naso tang looking a bit weak and swimming a bit funny. I pulled him lastnight and put him in QT with general cure. I’ve attached videos of what he looked like lastnight and what he currently looks like in QT.

I just don’t want this to keep happening with all my fish as this is two in less than two weeks, any ideas? Should I pull my other fish that seem fine? I did notice white stringy poo on both fish so internal parasites seem possible however because of how fast this is affecting them it could be something else, bacterial?

Fish is semi-thin and showing weakness against the water current, often a bad sign.
What foods are you feeding it?
IF internal, you can in a quarantine setting administer seachem kanaplex which absorbed and add Seachem Metroplex to the foods but realize the need to be careful with addition of metroplex to the food which is .05gm by weight with is about the amount on a pencil tip
Is fish currently eating?

Other possibility which I doubt is velvet. If it were , fish will gasp at surface, swim directly into current, refuse to eat, heavy breathing, fins clamped and scratching against objects

OP
OP
Sikorskym14

Sikorskym14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is semi-thin and showing weakness against the water current, often a bad sign.
What foods are you feeding it?
IF internal, you can in a quarantine setting administer seachem kanaplex which absorbed and add Seachem Metroplex to the foods but realize the need to be careful with addition of metroplex to the food which is .05gm by weight with is about the amount on a pencil tip
Is fish currently eating?

Other possibility which I doubt is velvet. If it were , fish will gasp at surface, swim directly into current, refuse to eat, heavy breathing, fins clamped and scratching against objects
Unfortunately I think he has passed this was very rapid and about a week or two in between the last loss. That in itself I think rules out velvet as I would think most of my fish would be gone by now. He does have white stringy poop which indicates internal parasites however isn’t that usually a gradual decline? This all happened within 24 hours, from normal to dead.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately I think he has passed this was very rapid and about a week or two in between the last loss. That in itself I think rules out velvet as I would think most of my fish would be gone by now. He does have white stringy poop which indicates internal parasites however isn’t that usually a gradual decline? This all happened within 24 hours, from normal to dead.
White poop can also be associated with foods which are high in fats and produce mucus. As I stated, naso was showing weakness against the water current which indicates the fish was Moribund in which it may or may not make it. By chance, is this fish a newer acquisition?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Sikorskym14

Sikorskym14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop can also be associated with foods which are high in fats and produce mucus. As I stated, naso was showing weakness against the water current which indicates the fish was Moribund in which it may or may not make it. By chance, is this fish a newer acquisition?
No I’ve had him for probably 7-8 months now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back