Please remember that sellers on R2R are NOT allowed to ask for unprotected forms of payment (i.e. venmo, PP friends & family, etc.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, as a reminder, sellers are NOT allowed to ask buyers to send payment as a gift (either via the Paypal Friends and Family option, Venmo, Western Union, or any other option that negates buyer protection). Any sellers who are shown to be asking for payment in these forms may lose their ability to access the marketplace at all.

Buyers, please beware of any requests to send payment in these ways. This is a large forum, and while most transactions are carried out with no issues, you should never gift money to anyone you do not know personally. Sending payment as a gift removes any protection available to you through the payment services you utilize.

Here's some tips everyone should read before buying or selling online: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/watch-out-before-buying-or-selling.201631/

Also, here are our selling forum rules: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/selling-trading-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.115471/

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've actually had a few sellers, from here remind me to make sure the payment was for goods and services. Which I think is awesome of them.
Yes! Agreed! That is definitely great on them.

xoleras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sold tons of stuff here, some local, some shipped, I cant accept paypal, I was burned for 3500 3 years ago, I closed my paypal account, its difficult to ask and convince people to send payment with venmo or any other form, so I stick to local sales to save my self the aggravation, but its kind of hard to deal with the fact that you are automatically a scammer when you cant accept paypal is kind of harsh to legit sellers like myself.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually had a few sellers, from here remind me to make sure the payment was for goods and services. Which I think is awesome of them.
Yep, AquaticLife, whom I cannot tag for some reason, was kind enough to be a stand-up guy when I paid for a Radion more than one year ago. He reminded me to mark the transaction as payment for goods and services. Luckily, he sent me the light because I paid, giving up my rights as a buyer, prior to his recommendation. One month later, I paid it forward to someone by declining their payment to me since they failed to mark the transaction as being for goods and services. They happily resubmitted their then-protected payment.

Even though there are jerks that take advantage of others in every part of life that contains transactions, this community has a lot of wonderful members that make the hobby enjoyable and better. :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've sold tons of stuff here, some local, some shipped, I cant accept paypal, I was burned for 3500 3 years ago, I closed my paypal account, its difficult to ask and convince people to send payment with venmo or any other form, so I stick to local sales to save my self the aggravation, but its kind of hard to deal with the fact that you are automatically a scammer when you cant accept paypal is kind of harsh to legit sellers like myself.
Definitely not automatically a scammer. Unfortunately, on a site this size and with international geography, we can only allow protected forms of payment (doesn't necessarily have to be PayPal, but does have to include buyer protection). Local sales where face to face interaction is possible are definitely the safest option IMO.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reminder! I've been asked SEVERAL times by sellers recently to use Venmo/PP Friends and Family. I declined the purchase and reported but it sure seems to happen alot. Following the rules is the safest way for buyer AND seller!

xoleras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people offer me to send money with Venmo, which is ran paypal and you have to use a debit card to pay, which has protection

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
people offer me to send money with Venmo, which is ran paypal and you have to use a debit card to pay, which has protection
My understanding is that Venmo does not offer buyer protection. Perhaps others can chime in with suggestions for payment methods similar to Paypal that do offer buyer protection.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the reminder! I've been asked SEVERAL times by sellers recently to use Venmo/PP Friends and Family. I declined the purchase and reported but it sure seems to happen alot. Following the rules is the safest way for buyer AND seller!
Agreed! And thanks for helping us by reporting.

xoleras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that Venmo does not offer buyer protection. Perhaps others can chime in with suggestions for payment methods similar to Paypal that do offer buyer protection.
I have gotten my money back from venmo, well my bank, I paid for a light and it never made it to me, seller blocked me on facebook, I called my bank and filed a dispute since I used my debit card, I was instantly refunded

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have gotten my money back from venmo, well my bank, I paid for a light and it never made it to me, seller blocked me on facebook, I called my bank and filed a dispute since I used my debit card, I was instantly refunded
Glad that worked out for you. I wish those issues always worked out so easily.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Venmo didn't refund you, your bank did. I understand that sometimes people will file a false complaint with PayPal but its still safer than sending unprotected.

xoleras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in order to use Venmo, you have to have a debit card linked to it, once you use your debit card, you are covered,
the reason I dont have paypal any longer is because I sold a mac pro, the guy sent me 3500 dollars, he got the mac pro, 60 days later he files a claim, telling paypal it was not the right thing, sent me back a box with a brick in it and paypal flat out told me that the buyer provided them with a tracking number, case closed, there is nothing we can do

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back