Plumbing critics needed

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, finally downsizing my 40b to a 13g i think it was. Just needed something i know i can manage and set up properly this time.

A lot of the stuff is going to be automated and semi-redundant this time around thanks to the wisdom of the BRS team.
I have everything pretty much planned but i'm not the best at plumbing, can people advise on me on this.

I have a single 1" return pump that's going to split into two 1/2" returns with random flow nozzles on line loc
I'm using the EShopps Eclipse S so that's two 1" going down into a chamber which overflows into my socks which goes down into my chaeto chamber then into my skimmer and back into the return.

What are your thoughts? any weakpoints and what not? I'm going to add a few more unions.

2019-08-04 17.51.50.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Looks good. My thought would be maybe a gate or true union ball valve on each return. It will allow for adjustments in flow if needed. Some say a 45 and not a 90 on the returns will reduce restrictions. Brs checked that out and did not really see a difference so I think the 90 is ok.

I have not used eshopps overflow, but if it is set up like a herbie you will need a gate valve towards the end of the pipe to adjust flow for the siphon.

There should be others that chime in with more experience in plumbing. Got a build thread so we can follow you progress. Looks cool

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes gate valve on the return line from the drain without the pipe in it. When you get a permanent stand it is always preferred to support the pipes themselves, not have the bulkheads support them.

1" return lines are completely overkill for those returns but its not a big deal...you asked for a critique :)

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plumbing looks excellent. I agree with the above - add a gate valve (not a ball valve) to the return, and also the main drain line. The one on the main drain line is particularly important, as it will be what silences you're overflow (keeps it from sounding like a perpetually flushing toilet).

therealman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it can fit more unions, add more unions. Later you will thank current you if you ever have to break down the tank or add something later.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Looks good. My thought would be maybe a gate or true union ball valve on each return. It will allow for adjustments in flow if needed. Some say a 45 and not a 90 on the returns will reduce restrictions. Brs checked that out and did not really see a difference so I think the 90 is ok.

I have not used eshopps overflow, but if it is set up like a herbie you will need a gate valve towards the end of the pipe to adjust flow for the siphon.

There should be others that chime in with more experience in plumbing. Got a build thread so we can follow you progress. Looks cool
yes gate valve on the return line from the drain without the pipe in it. When you get a permanent stand it is always preferred to support the pipes themselves, not have the bulkheads support them.

1" return lines are completely overkill for those returns but its not a big deal...you asked for a critique :)
Plumbing looks excellent. I agree with the above - add a gate valve (not a ball valve) to the return, and also the main drain line. The one on the main drain line is particularly important, as it will be what silences you're overflow (keeps it from sounding like a perpetually flushing toilet).

Dang that's a good catch definitely need ball valves! Few more unions and support/mounting for pipes

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about flow I would run 1 inch pipe all the way to the Tank and size down at the tank 1/2 is tricky your only going to get Maby 200 gph out of it

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Your set up looks good. I've used ball valves with union ends on my return. Allows me to tune and disassemble. They were affordable at Lowe's.

Screenshot_20191029-201616_Photos.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back