Plumbing Question

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows- I have a 45 gallon Deep Blue Frag tank, came with the over flow kit and bulk heads, the bulkheads are for the flexible hose which ai have now , my question are these dual purpose and can I hard plumb these without needind to change the bulkheads?

Thanks,
Dan

20200702_122417.jpg

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to take the hoses off and look at the inside of the bulkheads, that will determine what parts you need to hard plumb. If there are threads on the inside, you have to get what's called a TMA (Threaded male Adapter), put some thread paste (not thread tape) on the adapter and screw it in.

If it's smooth on the inside, that's a called a slip or glue joint. You have to use the appropriate glue to make the transition connection. It looks like those bulkheads are schedule 40, so they are ABS plastic, and require a glue designed to transition to PVC. If they are schedule 80, then they are already PVC and traditional PVC glue (AND PRIMER, must use) will make the proper conection.

Before you tackle this project, make sure you watch a few youtube videos on the topic, as it seems you have zero info on how to do this properly. It's not hard at all, you just have to have a few basic, hard rules, and you can't skimp or ignore them, if you want this to last long term.

Many people use PVC glue and primer on ABS/PVC mismatched joint. It does appear to work, and it will hold for a short time, but trust me, it won't last long term, and if it fails you flood your house.

OP
OP
saturn13

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand most of it, didn't know if anyone knows off the top of their head if this is a accepts anything other than flex hose being a barbed end. I'm going to assume it's schedule 40 not 80, Deep Blue wasn't the most exspensive builds like Waterbox or others of that quality. And the box that the plumbing setup came in doesn't say. What I ultimately want is to hard plumb the drain which is the 1 inch bulkhead so i can have some water into sump and then some to other devices.

20200702_133125.jpg 20200702_133118.jpg

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the barbs are threaded, so the bulkhead would also be threaded. Go get some Threaded male adapters and they will have a slip end on the other side, and you can take right off with hard plumbing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back