Plumbing SCA 80g

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a sca 80g from a reefer who never set it up. It came with plumbing parts for I believe a Herbie setup. I've only ever ran a Durso style on my tanks. I don't quite understand how to plumb this with full.siphon, emergency drain, etc... The smaller pipe also has a cap. Am I supposed to drill a small hole in the cap or use the snail guards. Any help is appreciated.

16338219961967432994592310627016.jpg

X-Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey goody I just received my 80 gallon tank to and don’t really know how I should plumb it either. If you could take some pics or decried how you did it would be extremely helpful. Thank you

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80G SCA cube which has the same plumbing. First thing first, throw it all away. It's metric, and a pain to match up when you have an emergency.

Then go to lowes/HD buy the same parts minus the bulkheads. Then just as it's layed out above, plumb it that way. I used one strainer in the full siphon line(shortest pipe), and the rest are extra. I also do not use the down elbow on my emergency, I just leave it an open pipe, The top of the emergency(right pipe)sets the height in my overflow. Returns up the middle, split with the locline out the sides of the acrylic overflow.

EDIT:
My tank is 8 years old, they made have made the switch to standard plumbing for US based customers. Just check it with a normal standard fitting to see if it fits.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80G SCA cube which has the same plumbing. First thing first, throw it all away. It's metric, and a pain to match up when you have an emergency.

Then go to lowes/HD buy the same parts minus the bulkheads. Then just as it's layed out above, plumb it that way. I used one strainer in the full siphon line(shortest pipe), and the rest are extra. I also do not use the down elbow on my emergency, I just leave it an open pipe, The top of the emergency(right pipe)sets the height in my overflow. Returns up the middle, split with the locline out the sides of the acrylic overflow.

EDIT:
My tank is 8 years old, they made have made the switch to standard plumbing for US based customers. Just check it with a normal standard fitting to see if it fits.
I'm finally getting around to setting this tank up. I dry fit the plumbing in as shown above minus the cap on the full siphon, but the emergency drain with the elbow seems that the drop of water into overflow would be too much and make quite a bit of noise. Is this why you don't use the elbow? How much drop do you have in the overflow? Anything on top of the emergency drain or just left open?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency totally open. I also did not use the plumbing that came with the tank. I went and bought all new plumbing, seeing as the stuff that comes with the tank is metric.

My emergency has a 45 on it so it bends to go above the middle pipe(return), so the water isn't so low is splashes/crashes into the overflow.

I like a fuller looking display, so my emergency pipe is actually pretty close to the top. It's about 1/2" above the bottom of the weir teeth.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency totally open. I also did not use the plumbing that came with the tank. I went and bought all new plumbing, seeing as the stuff that comes with the tank is metric.

My emergency has a 45 on it so it bends to go above the middle pipe(return), so the water isn't so low is splashes/crashes into the overflow.

I like a fuller looking display, so my emergency pipe is actually pretty close to the top. It's about 1/2" above the bottom of the weir teeth.
Do you have a photo of your overflow, especially your emergency drain? I will want my water level in the overflow higher than the stock plumbing allows.
I also bought all new plumbing. Was going to go with spaflex through my wall but decided to stay with hard plumbed.

Back