• Yes

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Just dip them

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Put them right in

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

View Badges
The day after placing some new corals in my tank, I got a brook outbreak the next day and my two fish were dead the morning after the outbreak, it could have been dormant on the fish but it could have been bought in by the coral... so now after I QT my fish I was thinking of QT’ing corals... but that would be a 45 to 76 day period... long time to not appreciate a beautiful coral and a new light fixture to buy for the qt tank...
I just wanted to see what most people do or your thoughts on it

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day after placing some new corals in my tank, I got a brook outbreak the next day and my two fish were dead the morning after the outbreak, it could have been dormant on the fish but it could have been bought in by the coral... so now after I QT my fish I was thinking of QT’ing corals... but that would be a 45 to 76 day period... long time to not appreciate a beautiful coral and a new light fixture to buy for the qt tank...
I just wanted to see what most people do or your thoughts on it
Probably naive, or/and lucky, acclimate and drop them in.

smm52487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dip and put them in my tank. Only because I decided I was going to keep things as simple as possible if I got back into the hobby. I don’t want to mess with multiple tanks. It’s a calculated risk for sure.

smm52487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dip and put them in my tank. Only because I decided I was going to keep things as simple as possible if I got back into the hobby. I don’t want to mess with multiple tanks. It’s a calculated risk for sure.
Forgot to mention is also temp and drip acclimate. Then dip, then right in the tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes but I admittedly do not do it properly. While they go in a separate system and I'd never bring something home and stick it right in the display, I rarely (but sometimes) do it for the full 72/76 days. Even some observation does help and for better or worse I have a fish in my frag/qt system these days so he does act as a canary for fish disease.

It's also much easier to stop the flow and observe the new corals in my frag tank from every side vs jamming them into an overflowing display tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back