Poll: Sand or Bare Bottom - What's your Preference?

Sand or Bare Bottom - What's your Preference?

• Sand/Substrate

Votes: 461 81.7%
  • Bare Bottom

Votes: 103 18.3%

• Total voters

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, sand, lots of fish and critters rely on a sandbed.

However, there are some really cool bare bottom tanks on this site with encrusting coral covering the bottom.

IMO, one is not better than the other, just a style preference.
I agree! It's all subjective.

ClownTang38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a BB on my new 90 gallon and it looks pretty slick. I put a blue glass baking dish on the bottom and filled with sand so I can put plugs and whatever else in there! I like the looks of both but definitely think it's easier to clean. I may go back to sand for my next tank.....I've heard that Hawaiian black sand is awesome! The pic I have for my profile is BB as well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted substrate, but I'm always interested to go Bare Bottom -- I blame @GoVols partially here, for having a nice looking aquascape on BB.
Lol!!!

BB over here with the ole Python - No Spill :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!!!

BB over here with the ole Python - No Spill :)
Starting my fist BB tank soon, any advice on how to set it up? I am a little worried about the rock cracking the bottom of the glass

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my fist BB tank soon, any advice on how to set it up? I am a little worried about the rock cracking the bottom of the glass
Shep,
For one that want's to go BB with a mature tank. Then take out the sand over weeks, to give your bacteria time to re-colonize into your live rock.

I welded my sand to my live rock by means of overdosing :eek: can't promise that it will work for anybody else.

If you want to click on my build and read post #'s 62 / 189 - 199 / 302 - 303 it may help.

Sorry for all the jabber.

Freddie

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got very little sand in the reef tank.3/4 average. Some glass showing some piled up. Iv'e done the dsb & it was a big hassle imho . Also every really nice, older tanks I see have shallow sand beds.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep,
For one that want's to go BB with a mature tank. Then take out the sand over weeks, to give your bacteria time to re-colonize into your live rock.

I welded my sand to my live rock by means of overdosing :eek: can't promise that it will work for anybody else.

If you want to click on my build and read post #'s 62 / 189 - 199 / 302 - 303 it may help.

Sorry for all the jabber.

Freddie
It will be a fresh tank,

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some put down a HDPE bottom to protect from rocks falling. It also gives you the white aesthetic some like. Another option is to look into the variety of options for securing rocks together so they cannot collapse.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a sand bottom when I was a Chalice Freak. I lost several gems to being flipped over in the sand. I have never lost one Chalice(Or any Coral) from it being flipped onto BB. BB is easy to keep clean and turns purple from coralline. JMO.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand just looks more natural. Plus, I like too many things that require sand. If I went BB I might as well just have a frag tank. They just look too utilitarian. Reminds me of when I worked in a pet store or when I was breeding cichlids.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand all the way. I SCUBA dive and the look of the reef is what got me into salt water tanks to begin with. One of these days, I'll see the perfect tank reef while diving, take a picture or video, and recreate in a tank lol!

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hybrid approach right now. My flow is around 80X and the sand has blown halfway to the back of my tank so it's like half sand half bb. My wrasse and other creatures need the sand so I'll stay with this setup until it doesn't work anymore.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could keep PO4/NO3 up I'd say BB all the way. Feed like crazy with a fairly high bio-load and still run zero's for PO4/NO3. Back to dosing for both which is painful.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree! It's all subjective.

No offense to those with BB I have not seen a cool one. Even a scattering of sand - which would not prevent any kind of maintenance (JMHO) looks better than nothting

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An aesthetic choice mostly, though in my case I keep sand sleeping wrasses so no choice in the matter. Fortunately i prefer the look of sand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back