Popeye antibiotic treatment

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple of fish with Popeye, one sided on each fish.
Want to treat with antibiotics but don't have access to fish specific ones. What alternatives can I use from regular antibiotics I can get from pharmacy and any input on dosing?
Also any success with antibiotic dips outside Q tank to avoid killing filtering bacteria? Any recommendation on dose and bath length and frequency?
Thanks

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just one eye, it's most likely the result of injury. Keeping the water clean and keeping them well fed should resolve it without any medication.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple of fish with Popeye, one sided on each fish.
Want to treat with antibiotics but don't have access to fish specific ones. What alternatives can I use from regular antibiotics I can get from pharmacy and any input on dosing?
Also any success with antibiotic dips outside Q tank to avoid killing filtering bacteria? Any recommendation on dose and bath length and frequency?
Thanks

I know that knaplex is used for popeye, the generic drug name is kanamycin, i think the pharmacy should carry it. I think the better option is epsom salt if you have some on hand, because as mentioned one eye popeye is usually from an injury and should clear on its own.

Best of luck

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cloudy as well, weirdly fish have developed Popeye in the last week in the Q tank, all semifasciatus, although q tank has around 10 different fish. I'm already at full copper dose since 10 days and prazi since 3 days, one fish had Popeye after I added prazi so doubt it's flukes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cloudy as well, weirdly fish have developed Popeye in the last week in the Q tank, all semifasciatus, although q tank has around 10 different fish. I'm already at full copper dose since 10 days and prazi since 3 days, one fish had Popeye after I added prazi so doubt it's flukes.

It actually could have been flukes since the points that the flukes break the skin to feed off the fish can get infected a few days later OR just not show it until a few days later anyway.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dipping daily in Bactrim plus at 150 g per gallon for 30 min. Unfortunately male is not improving and was swimming unbalanced yesterday. Female eye not showing improvement and it's showing ulcers on its body . Am traveling for 5 days but believe it's best to move both fish to another q tank and treat with antibiotics 24/7 I have access to bactrim plus (gram positive and negative) nitrofurantoin and metronidazol. Which don't advise to go with and at which rate? My wife will be doing a 25 percent water change daily and doing the daily dosing. Please advise which dose to go with and also if another human antibiotic is advised. Tried to get erythromycin but apparently it's not in use anymore.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the antibiotics you mentioned, bactrim is your best option as that contains both sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. So, at least it's wide spectrum.

Can you get tetracycline, neomycin or acriflavine?

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u advise on the dose and how often for Bactrim?
Will try to check for the others u mentioned.
Thanks

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn Is not available here unfortunately. I'm traveling to Macna and hopefully stock up on fish meds from the US But need to have those fish treated as undoing they'll last till am back

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn Is not available here unfortunately. I'm traveling to Macna and hopefully stock up on fish meds from the US But need to have those fish treated as undoing they'll last till am back
It's a little hard to find here, too. The only place I could find it is Petsolutions.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u advise on the dose and how often for Bactrim?

I've only used Bactrim tablets to treat nems, but dosage should be the same. Each tablet contains 160 mg of trimethoprim and 800 mg of sulfamethoxazole.

1 tablet treats 10 gallons of water, and you dose every 48 hrs (do a 50% WC beforehand) for 10-14 days. A more aggressive treatment strategy would be to dose every 24 hrs, but that would require almost a 100% water change beforehand to prevent overdosing. Light degrades Bactrim, so you can use that to your advantage by running one over the QT 3-4 hours before the next scheduled dosage to protect from overdosing.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of the fish(sorry bad quality). Can u confirm its a bacterial infection. Only female isnshowing those ulcers on the body. Make only has a cloudyneye and sitting in tank corner and not eating
IMAG1052.jpg
IMAG1046.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also able to find tetracycline. Is it better than bactrim? So dosage and frequency?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell, it does look like an infection. I would stick with the Bactrim for now and hope it keeps the infection at bay until you get back from MACNA. Try to locate some of these antibiotics while you are in the US: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/

And also some acriflavine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

This is now the biggest LFS in the New Orleans area, and I know they are going to be at MACNA: http://aquatic-sealife.com/

I'm pretty sure they carry a wide range of fish antibiotics.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. Will get in touch with then and stock up on meds.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news I lost the female. It's weird cause it was still eating and actively swimming. Make is still alive he's now moving a bit more but swimming head down. Not interested in food at all.
Here's a video I can see the eyes still a bit out and wife says eyes are not clear but anything else to treat? It's already received a full copper and prazi cycle.

http://vid1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/mcaqua390g/Fish/VID-20170826-WA0025.mp4

Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife could try a Hydrogen Peroxide bath on the male. 1 ml per gallon of 3% H2O2 for 30 minutes. This should provide some immediate relief.

Disclaimer: I've never actually tested Hydrogen Peroxide, but being it is an antiseptic (the same as acriflavine), it should provide similar results. It sounds like you don't have much to lose by trying. :(

Back