Possible Aiptasia

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am very new to the reefing hobby. After finding R2R while looking for advice for building my 150G freshwater setup I have been bitten by the reef bug. I have changed course and will be making the 150G a reef setup instead of a Discus tank.
However, I couldn’t even wait for the 150 project to be complete so I went ahead and made a 10G into a nano reef until the 150 is ready.
I ordered some coral frags from WWC, one of them being a Xenia who did not survive shipping. With good hopes in mind I put the tremendously weakened Xenia in the tank and removed the parts that died off, which is now just a frag plug. This morning I noticed a very small (about 1/2 the size of a pencil tip) growth off the side of the now otherwise empty frag plug. At first I was excited thinking that a very small part of the Xenia survived but the more I look the more I am thinking it is aiptasia.
Can anybody help confirm before I toss it? There is a very zoomed in picture attached.

F0914861-E7DA-4A38-ACB6-242CFBD54EB3.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be silver xenia or aiptasia . Cannot tell

OP
OP
S

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately by the time I got home to toss it, it was no longer there. My tank contains 2 small (3/4 inch) clowns and 2 red legged hermit crabs.
Is there any chance the aiptasia was eaten? Or are they capable of moving on their own to a new spot that quickly? I combed every square inch of what I could see in the tank (it’s only a 10g) and I could not find it.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately by the time I got home to toss it, it was no longer there. My tank contains 2 small (3/4 inch) clowns and 2 red legged hermit crabs.
Is there any chance the aiptasia was eaten? Or are they capable of moving on their own to a new spot that quickly? I combed every square inch of what I could see in the tank (it’s only a 10g) and I could not find it.
Def not eaten, it moved somewhere better for it. They move FAST, as in several inches a minute when they want to.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! The hunt continues..

would you say it is going somewhere better as in terms of flow?
Better as in terms of: it gets more light and there are more particulates it can catch while they float by. I have no idea where it went tbh. But i can promise you once it finds a spot it likes, it will multiply.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back