OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to hear and bounce all the different ideas around. This is such a complex issue. To fully understand how this all works will be a wonderful day.

Hopefully more scientists with access to $95,000 TEM’s can get onboard with this soon and get more research done. Our light microscopes do a good job, but 2,000x is a long shot from 10,000,000x. With that kind of magnification they have a huge advantage.

If anybody has a TEM we can barrow, please let us know. :p

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal hypothesis is that it’s likely impossible for us to fully stop R/STN cases. Too much going on, too many possible culprits and nothing that could be designed that way would only stop the organism, if that’s even the cause.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AD39D2AE-B82C-47F4-BAF1-067D7C1E6869_zpsp7nhvmum.jpg

Is this the bacteria??

It looks like a paramecium maybe a ciliate to me maybe I am wrong?? Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Yeah, I believe that’s the one that was stained Chris. I do not see any cilia though. The cell structure is not consistent with a Ciliate. There are no vacuoles or nuclei. There are so many different species of bacteria though.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sure way to end STN forever is to leave all SPS at the LFS. Let the LFS kill it.

Lol lol lol

It’s weird how these super anal Acro guys have a tank full of acropora for years and then one day the tank starts going up in smoke. 5K in Acro’s gone for no logical reason. They swear that nothing changed at all. This makes me think allelopathy is the cause sometimes.

I just want to know if it’s started by a stress event or is it bacteria or ciliates that start it. Technically... we still can’t rule out Ciliates/Protozoa. Although the evidence we currently have “seems to suggest” they are scavengers, they don’t say with 100% certainty. The speed of these RTN events is what keeps me wondering. When the event is happening (like in the time lapse video I posted early on) we should be able to isolate these corals and identify the organisms. I feel like the organisms present on the Slide or in the Petri dish are responsible for the “rapid tissue necrosis” even if they have not initiated it- they apparently finish it! Honestly, it makes no sense to me that the “causal agents” would exit the coral. So IMO, we may have already found them or we’re simply unable to see them.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back Jose! :)
Thank you, my friend!

I also follow with interest, on Facebook, the researches of our colleague André Muller (here @PSXerholic), also an aquarist, who, I believe, is now on track.

My best wishes to all of you!

Regards

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, I think Mike is right. They look like nematocysts. They appear to have spines and are possibly barbed. Makes me wonder if the coral sent those out when it was attacked or these were from an anemone in your tank.? They are right on the TN zone so I think it was likely the coral trying to fend off the attack.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never-mind, I guess Mike was talking about something else. It doesn’t look like they get ejected.

Most corals are made up of hundreds of thousands individual polyps like this one. Many stony coral polyps range in size from one to three millimeters in diameter. Anatomically simple organisms, much of the polyp’s body is taken up by a stomach filled with digestive filaments. Open at only one end, the polyp takes in food and expels waste through its mouth. A ring of tentacles surrounding the mouth aids in capturing food, expelling waste and clearing away debris. Most food is captured with the help of special stinging cells called nematocysts which are inside the polyp' outer tissues, which is called the epidermis. Calcium carbonate is secreted by reef-building polyps and forms a protective cup called a calyx within which the polyps sits. The base of the calyx upon which the polyp sits is called the basal plate. The walls surrounding the calyx are called the theca. The coenosarc is a thin band of living tissue that connect individual polyps to one another and help make it a colonial organism.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre’s RTN eradicator dip V1.0

Buy 1 get 1 free....:p Guaranteed to work or your money back. These chemicals are a secret “all natural” ORGANIC extract only found in Egypt along the Nile river. :eek:

1 Liter tank water
60ml 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

Mix it quick and swirl.

Place corals into the dip for 2 minutes and keep swirling.

Have the rinse water which is basically tankwater ready now!

After 2 minutes take corals out of the dip and immediately place into rinse water container.

Let the coral in there for 2 hours near the tank to avoid a huge temp drop.

Then place coral back into the tank.

You may see tissue that is deteriorated already coming off during the dip.

Whatever remains on the coral, likely is going to make it!
However, there is as always risk of losing the coral.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre’s RTN eradicator dip V1.0

Buy 1 get 1 free....:p Guaranteed to work or your money back. These chemicals are a secret “all natural” ORGANIC extract only found in Egypt along the Nile river. :eek:

1 Liter tank water
60ml 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

Mix it quick and swirl.

Place corals into the dip for 2 minutes and keep swirling.

Have the rinse water which is basically tankwater ready now!

After 2 minutes take corals out of the dip and immediately place into rinse water container.

Let the coral in there for 2 hours near the tank to avoid a huge temp drop.

Then place coral back into the tank.

You may see tissue that is deteriorated already coming off during the dip.

Whatever remains on the coral, likely is going to make it!
However, there is as always risk of losing the coral.
what the heck, why do I sense a lot of sarcasm here ???
LOL.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck, why do I sense a lot of sarcasm here ???
LOL.

I’m actually just poking at Prime Coral because of his prices.

I just think it’s funny how much he’s actually charging. He is probably using ingredients that are dirt cheap too.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These chemicals are a secret “all natural” ORGANIC extract only found in Egypt along the Nile river. :eek:
I'm waiting for the part where it also improves the appetites of the ladies and the hair grows ... LOL

But it makes a lot of sense, for me, that an antiseptic bath can help the coral fight the process ... Bring to light that the concept of COLONIAL ORGANISM, in which only part of the individuals (polyps) are already sick, but not all, in given moment, is also very important in this confrontation.

Congratulations!

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird how these super anal Acro guys have a tank full of acropora for years and then one day the tank starts going up in smoke.

Surely you aren't referring to me as "super anal" bc that would be unclassy and disrespectful to a fellow R2Rer

o_O

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of researchers report similar effects from a host of different treatments. The problem is that others are not often able to recreate the same effects. Boy I would love a treatment seem to work more that 50% of the time.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are now in contact with Mike Sweet on FB. I’m sure he’s got access to a TEM. With his background...you know he’s ready to do more research.

-Mike Sweet-
“Currently a lecturer at Derby University in the centre of the UK. I started my career as an undergraduate in Zoology, at Newcastle University then spent four years of field based research around the world for NGOs and other organisations. My PhD was in microbial ecology of coral reefs, which was followed by a Post Doctorate focusing on White Diseases around the world. I have a keen interest in any disease effecting organisms”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back