Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. Now, here is another question. Is there any evidence that the parasites can be controlled or made non-malignant once they are present in a system. I bring in wild SPS and LPS frequently and follow a dipping protocol, plus quarantine in a 'dirty' holding system. Now, the dips I currently use (iodine and Revive) may not kill these protozoan so I could have unwittingly spread these parasites into the many client reef aquariums I manage. A little while ago I suffered a critically low iodine incident in my main system which resulted in the rapid near loss of a few colonies of LPS and SPS to an apparent brown jelly infection, followed by their stabilization and recovery once the iodine deficiency was corrected. I suffered another brown jelly event a couple months later that took out a large healthy purple and green lobo as well as a small tenuis colony in a matter of hours. Only change I had made prior to this was I put the ozone generator one a timer to cycle it on and off during the day and had changed one of the two 55W UVs on the system to run only at night. I have since reversed this change and there has been no further brown jelly presence observed in the past few weeks. Could I possibly have been suppressing the protozoa that are certainly in the system by running ozone 24/7 and 110W of UV at a flow rate of about 700gph in a 420gallon total volume system?
Those are great questions and what I can tell you is that even tanks with high iodine eg .09 and running ozone or UV still get RTN and STN from these protozoan parasites so I am not convinced they help but I am open to hear everyone’s experience. There are many people that get RTN even though they run UV.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a dead deer in the forest and there are millions of maggots eating the dead tissue does that mean that the maggots caused the death?
Not the case here
Time to get educated
Read up on Koch’s postulates. The only way in the world that is accepted as scientific fact to prove a certain microorganism causes a disease is to prove all 4 of Koch’s postulates. That is the gold standard and that is exactly what I did last year. That is why it is NO longer speculation or theory, it has been proven. I am a doctor, scientist and biologist. These experiments prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the protozoan are the cause of coral RTN and STN. Read up for yourself
https://coralrtn.com/experimental-evidence/

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve seen that study already. I’m not saying that RTN cannot be caused by these parasites. The evidence for that seems plausible. What seems less compelling to me is the assertion that ALL observable RTN is caused by them. If thst were the case, a new coral exhibiting RTN would surely spread to other colonies; or at least to other new colonies introduced at the same time. Mostly it does not. I appreciate the desire for a ‘eureka’ moment; heck, it’d be cool if RTN could be arrested with specific meds that attack the parasite. Maybe that will be the case. Until then. I shall remain amongst the skeptics.
Please read up on Koch’s postulates. This is the only scientific and reliable pathway to determine what microorganism causes a disease
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch's_postulates

I proved every one of the postulates with my experiments last year 2018

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has a tank that has been experiencing a tank wide stn extended event (about a year), I find the potential treatment encouraging. I would try the product immediately; however, removing fish from my system would be a daunting task, enough so that I am hesitant in ordering the product.

Metro sounds interesting... Anyone experience a stoppage of STN using it?

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Stick up the rear, that ain’t how you properly market your product or generate good will and interest in your findings.
I don’t take to professional or personal attacks well. I won’t sit back and take it from you or anyone else. I am not here to be your friend or buddy or whatever. I am here to share what I discovered because I actually care about the coral and the hobby and wanted to share something so huge. It’s an infection! Shouldn’t people know? Doctors like me treat and prevent the spread of disease. Sorry for all the people that can’t handle the truth.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would bayer kill them? ...have to have a nervous system.

Metro, as mentioned, can get them and is reef safe. Lots of people use it for fish and for Perkinsus in clams.
Maybe you misses my earlier response, Metronidazole doesn’t work. Find out for yourself. It won’t kill the protozoans. You would think it would but doesn’t

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema doesn’t need a host. It can survive on detritus and uneaten food. So not every parasite needs a host.
Man fish
This protozoan parasite swims around in the water column until it finds a coral polyp to enter. They are single cell organisms meaning no eyes or any way of seeing a coral so they swim around till they hit something solid then they try to enter it. Think about how few polyp holes there are in your reef compared to all the volume that is NOT a coral polyp hole. That’s why they don’t infect all corals because chances are they won’t find one to infect before they are filtered out. There are more polyps on an sps which is why they infect them more(Acropora and montipora). They can live about a week without a coral host then die. Most die but as more colonies become infected and more parasites are released into the water column the odds get high enough and total system RTN occurs like with Sanjays reef

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing that, in all these years we have observed RTN, nobody ever thought to put the coral under a standard microscope and see the very evident microfauna crawling all over it. Maybe they just didn’t have anything to sell.

Doc, you did contradict yourself in your video. Early on, you said this protozoan caused all ‘non-stress related RTN events’, and then later said it was responsible for ‘all RTN events’
No I didn’t
This parasite causes all coral RTN and the STN parasites cause all coral STN. People started to ask me “what if I drop my pH to 4.2 and coral RTNs is that the parasite ?” Obviously not the parasite. Those extreme physical and chemical changes are what I am referring to. So without going into exhaustive detail about every single possible scenario I have made a broad statement

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps there is some merit to it. Haven’t had time to watch any of the videos on it. I immediately question anyone one speaking in absolutes though. Stating this cures/stops all RTN and STN, because it all from one cause, is quite a claim to make. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
I never said anything cures all RTN or STN. I said all RTN and STN are due to the protozoan parasites. The treatments available from Prime Coral are the only ones effective in treating the parasites. Not all coral will survive even with treatment.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if he was 'only' a neurosurgeon - those are great credentials. That said - none of them has anything to do with ciliate parasitology in coral. As many others have said - He may be right, its just that there is no evidence that I have seen (and it would only take a couple sentences to show it - I'm not into watching 10 videos to get the answer.

Did he 'infect' healthy coral with this ciliate and have it cause RTN? . Even then - it seems to me that its just as likely that many things can damage coral and these guys feed on dying tissue - as compared to 'causing' the death. But who knows. Its not up to us to disprove the theory - its up to him to prove it.

Thanks already proven here
Easy read for you and concise. I did infect healthy corals with the protozoans and they did cause RTN. One of the requirements of Koch’s postulates to prove they are the cause

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
I am the first scientist in the world to actually prove it

Well, no, though if it does actually turn out to be true, you might be credited with advancing the field. Since you've stated that you're a scientist, then you presumably have to know that for a theory to be accepted as fact, the evidence must first be verified by other scientists in the field. It must then be published and stand up to peer review.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no, though if it does actually turn out to be true, you might be credited with advancing the field. Since you've stated that you're a scientist, then you presumably have to know that for a theory to be accepted as fact, the evidence must first be verified by other scientists in the field. It must then be published and stand up to peer review.
Considering one of his earlier hip shots insinuating someone was a flat earther simply for questioning the results, I HIGHLY doubt he'd be ok with someone wanting to peer review his findings. Its also likely why he's only providing links to his website and youtube videos, no paper for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back