Post your stands!

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Can I see your DIY stands? I'm mostly trying to see trims and finished products, but this could work as inspiration for others looking to build their own stands too! Considering most diy stand info out there is just about the original frame of the stand

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what you would like yours to look like?

IMG_20200126_154330959.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Any ideas on what you would like yours to look like?

That's a nice stand! I want it to have a dark glossy stain to reflect the wood. I was thinking the stand and canopy would connect through a panel in the back. the panel, would open and close revealing shelves, which would have supplements on one side, and on the other side of the tank longer things like feeders and those sticks you use to grab things. The dimensions are what I'm curious about. Tank is 96x24x24, after everything i want the stand to be 96x36Deepx40Tall. I feel like if I go deeper than 36 itll look weird but I have to in order to fit the cabinet area, what do you think?

Tono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I'm currently building for a 60 gallon cube I just bought from a local reefer. A bit more sanding left to do but it's almost there.

IMG_1238.jpeg

Looks amazing. Is this just glue construction? How did you attach the door panels? If you have a build link I'd love to see it.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. Is this just glue construction? How did you attach the door panels? If you have a build link I'd love to see it.

Glued and screwed together. Trim pieces were glued and attached with a brad nailer. The doors (front and both sides) have European hinges, or will have, I'm still waiting on the correct hinges to be delivered. The side doors open wide enough to slide the sump in and out.

No build thread yet, maybe I should start one or two or three. Major renovations happening in the basement for a 850 sq ft man cave with a 180 mixed reef in wall with a fish room behind it. The stand above is for a 60 gallon cube going in my office. It came with a stand but it has some water damaged particle board and I don't want to put 600+ lbs on top of that.

Here's some pic of the construction of the stand...
Inner frame:
IMG_1218.jpeg

Outer skin:
61326516318__E4362570-359E-4301-A0F9-DCE7853D6BAF.jpg

Trim work:
IMG_1236.jpeg

Stonycorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued and screwed together. Trim pieces were glued and attached with a brad nailer. The doors (front and both sides) have European hinges, or will have, I'm still waiting on the correct hinges to be delivered. The side doors open wide enough to slide the sump in and out.

No build thread yet, maybe I should start one or two or three. Major renovations happening in the basement for a 850 sq ft man cave with a 180 mixed reef in wall with a fish room behind it. The stand above is for a 60 gallon cube going in my office. It came with a stand but it has some water damaged particle board and I don't want to put 600+ lbs on top of that.

Here's some pic of the construction of the stand...
Inner frame:
IMG_1218.jpeg

Outer skin:
61326516318__E4362570-359E-4301-A0F9-DCE7853D6BAF.jpg

Trim work:
IMG_1236.jpeg
Looks great!

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum frame with a granite counter top. The oak skin is held on by magnets embedded into the wood connecting to each other and tucked under the granite top.

IMG_20171119_155645.jpg

IMG_20171230_200622.jpg

IMG_20171229_153724.jpg

IMG_20180311_123908.jpg

IMG_20200407_125505.jpg

In the legs I made an electronics cabinet.

IMG_20190124_213946.jpg

The other leg has dry goods, test kits, and dosing equipment.

IMG_20180223_172553.jpg

IMG_20190903_135932.jpg

Stonycorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you... it's getting there. Test mounting all of the doors today then prepping for paint.
I'd love to see it when you're done. I'm planning on building a stand for my 29 gallon. I will be using your build as inspiration. Just wish my carpentry skills weren't so mediocre.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see it when you're done. I'm planning on building a stand for my 29 gallon. I will be using your build as inspiration. Just wish my carpentry skills weren't so mediocre.

As long as you have the tools required and take your time you'll do just fine. I happen to have a ton of tools so some of the things I do might not make sense for you try to accomplish. For example, I have a router table which helps tremendously with putting grooves in the door styles to insert the 1/4 birch plywood panels. You may or may not have one... it's not a tool everyone has in their arsenal. What you have for tools will probably dictate to some degree what you're going to be able to build. What's in your tool box?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest at least investing in the Kreg pocket hole tools. Make sure to use the Kreg screws as well... they do make a difference. Quality wood glue as well. When you're getting ready to build it I'd be happy to help with any questions or advice.

Stonycorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have the tools required and take your time you'll do just fine. I happen to have a ton of tools so some of the things I do might not make sense for you try to accomplish. For example, I have a router table which helps tremendously with putting grooves in the door styles to insert the 1/4 birch plywood panels. You may or may not have one... it's not a tool everyone has in their arsenal. What you have for tools will probably dictate to some degree what you're going to be able to build. What's in your tool box?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest at least investing in the Kreg pocket hole tools. Make sure to use the Kreg screws as well... they do make a difference. Quality wood glue as well. When you're getting ready to build it I'd be happy to help with any questions or advice.
Thank you! There is a very good chance I will have a few questions along the way. Thankfully I should already have all the tools needed. It's the finishing skills I've yet to acquire, my carpentry knowledge is mostly in framing. If my attempt looks half as good yours I'll call it a win.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! There is a very good chance I will have a few questions along the way. Thankfully I should already have all the tools needed. It's the finishing skills I've yet to acquire, my carpentry knowledge is mostly in framing. If my attempt looks half as good yours I'll call it a win.

Finishing is a ton of sanding. Get yourself an orbital sander, it saves a ton of elbow grease. I use a cordless Ryobi I picked up at Home Depot.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine, still have to finish the trim on the canopy and build my doors. Doing something similar to what you are thinking with the panels connecting the ase to the canopy behind the tank, but instead of shelves the doors will be my control panels for pump controllers, heater controls etc.
20200612_160108.jpg
20200525_154838.jpg
20200525_154803.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%

Back