Powder Blue Bully -Mirror

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a tank from a guy with the following fish: pb, hippo, clown, one spot Foxface, diamond goby, and an anthias.

My pb was constantly chasing the hippo into her rock. (Never bad bad) just wouldn’t let her be out for more than a few seconds. I finally tried the mirror method. He has been messing with himself in the mirror for 4 days. He eats some and sleeps. But 95% of the day he is up against the mirror. Should I leave the mirror up for another week? Put him in timeout (sump)?
Also planning on adding more fish in a few more months but if that pb won’t chill out. I’ll have to get rid of him.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not agree with placing large fish like surgeons in the sump, this can cause a greater problem of stress, which is unnecessary, unless you have a very large sump, in reference to the space that would be available for the fish then it can no problem, but I have seen powder blue tangs in a space 15"or less and it is very possible that that brings more problems.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not agree with placing large fish like surgeons in the sump, this can cause a greater problem of stress, which is unnecessary, unless you have a very large sump, in reference to the space that would be available for the fish then it can no problem, but I have seen powder blue tangs in a space 15"or less and it is very possible that that brings more problems.
I have a 150 dt and a 40 sump. Granted it’s broken into 3 sections. He’s have to go in the middle size section with the skimmer, as my Refugium is going up Monday. Honestly if the mirror doesn’t work and 8 hours of timeout don’t work. Off to the lfs he will go.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 dt and a 40 sump. Granted it’s broken into 3 sections. He’s have to go in the middle size section with the skimmer, as my Refugium is going up Monday. Honestly if the mirror doesn’t work and 8 hours of timeout don’t work. Off to the lfs he will go.
Get the Hippo out is what I say to that, 1. It will get too big and active for a 6’ tank (IMO they NEED 8’ as a bare minimum) and 2. The Powder Blue is probably going after it due to the very similar main colour. The Powder Blue Tangs have notoriously aggressive temperaments and often don’t get along with fish of similar colours (And family, especially the genus) in small tanks. I would say give them both back to the LFS since the PBT will restrict you with no more new fish whilst it rules the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, get rid of it if your sump is too small. Even 24” sumps are beyond too small for a surgeon for more than a few days or a week. Even then when you get your fish settled they’re 1. aggressive and 2. Large at max size, then hitting 8-9” isn’t unheard of. Sumping a fish can also lead to much higher levels of stress and with the thin slime coated fish like PBTs and Hippos they will often just plummet down in health and can end up with ich. IMO no tank is ichless, even with strict QT procedures it can go down hill quite quickly. Miami Reef had this issue with their aquarium and catching ich. The thing with these tangs is how they have much thinner slime coats than the rest of the family does (Zebrasoma, Ctenochaetus, Naso ect…).

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Hippo out is what I say to that, 1. It will get too big and active for a 6’ tank (IMO they NEED 8’ as a bare minimum) and 2. The Powder Blue is probably going after it due to the very similar main colour. The Powder Blue Tangs have notoriously aggressive temperaments and often don’t get along with fish of similar colours (And family, especially the genus) in small tanks. I would say give them both back to the LFS since the PBT will restrict you with no more new fish whilst it rules the tank.
I will probably just get rid of the PB for the time being. It will be months before adding more fish, and the hippo is still only 4-5". I would rather keep that bioload for the time being. Plus it is a beautiful fish that gets along with everyone. I have been thinking about a whole other stocking list anyways. Any recommendations or changes from this list?

Current Fish I'll keep:
  • Diamond Goby
  • One Spot FoxFace
  • Gladiator Clownfish
Wanted List:
  • Whitetail Bristletooth
  • Another Tang (ideas?) yellow?
  • Pair Blue Mandarin
  • Wrasse compatible with mandarins and corals (royal flasher?)
  • Pair Clowns
  • School of Chromis
  • 1-2 Tiger Conch

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably just get rid of the PB for the time being. It will be months before adding more fish, and the hippo is still only 4-5". I would rather keep that bioload for the time being. Plus it is a beautiful fish that gets along with everyone. I have been thinking about a whole other stocking list anyways. Any recommendations or changes from this list?

Current Fish I'll keep:
  • Diamond Goby
  • One Spot FoxFace
  • Gladiator Clownfish
Wanted List:
  • Whitetail Bristletooth
  • Another Tang (ideas?) yellow?
  • Pair Blue Mandarin
  • Wrasse compatible with mandarins and corals (royal flasher?)
  • Pair Clowns
  • School of Chromis
  • 1-2 Tiger Conch
So, in that list of wanted fish I’d go for;
- Bristletooth,
- Mandarins,
- Fairies and/or flasher wrasses,
- Chromis (I’d recommend a school of 10+ for them to work out),
- 2 Tiger conchs
As for a second tang Id say go with the YT if you can get a CB one. If you have the money then you could also try a black long nose tang.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back