Power Bar issues with large heaters?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wondering if any of you have your P4 controller running on large tanks? I have a 220 with about 250 gallons total water volume. I few months ago I had a problem where the plug on my heater fused to the outlet on my powerbar. I sent it in for repair. I was told the issue was likely caused by humidity or water getting in the outlet causing the plug to fuse together. Although I did not agree, I bit the bullet and purchased another powerbar at a discount.

Yesterday I submitted a new ticket to GHL support for a similar issue. This time, the same outlet (S1 controlling heaters) just flat out quit working. The LED indicator does not come on even when the port is set to "Always On" and no power is supplied to the outlet.

The first time the issue occurred I had a single Finnex Titanium 800W heater plugged into the outlet. Because I'm certain water did not touch that outlet I wanted to do a bit of troubleshooting on my own so I replaced the finnex with an inkbird controller and 2 x 250W ebo Jager heaters.

Somehow the outlet controlling my heaters seems to continually have issues. Wondering if anyone else out there has a similar problem or can help me figure out what's going on. Support keeps telling me I must have done something to damage this outlet and I'm asked to buy a new power bar.

The power bar is on the far end of a 72" stand completely opposite of a 36" sump (lots of distance to ensure no salt creep / splashing etc).

Thanks,
Ben

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the old 6 D PAB - I have had no issues with heaters of 500 W. Even if I use the Pulse variable function - which means manny and short cycles.

I have had a 6E with a 1000 W heater for one year now - without any issues at all. I use 2 position controller on the 6E

However - with the powerhubb - I have had issues with 1000 W heaters.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the old 6 D PAB - I have had no issues with heaters of 500 W. Even if I use the Pulse variable function - which means manny and short cycles.

I have had a 6E with a 1000 W heater for one year now - without any issues at all. I use 2 position controller on the 6E

However - with the powerhubb - I have had issues with 1000 W heaters.

Sincerely Lasse
Good to know. Thank you sir. What make / model heater are you running out of curiosity?

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a PAB-6e to power 2ea. 300W Finnex Titanium heaters without issue. I followed @Lasse's instructions for setting up a 2 position controller to smooth out the sawtooth temperature performance (& graph on the Profilux 4).

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a PAB-6e to power 2ea. 300W Finnex Titanium heaters without issue. I followed @Lasse's instructions for setting up a 2 position controller to smooth out the sawtooth temperature performance (& graph on the Profilux 4).
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. How long have you been running? Also, can't saw as though I've seen Lasse's instructions. Would one of you kindly send me the link?

Thanks,
Ben

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only titan heaters without internal control. With internal control is not a question if they will fall - it a question of when IME. However the other day - we had a titanium heater that failed and shout down a power cabinet 00:30 in the night (I work at a public aquarium) With on person on place doing the physical work and me sitting at home in front of the computer and try to figure out whats happen - we found the faulty heater and could restart the systems.

We have the heaters on an other circuit than the Profilux computers so if the heaters going down - we can still reach the computers from the outside (mostly :p )

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back